Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Opinions on this bullet on elk? It shoots great from my 7mm mag at 3100 fps.
I am talking interlock not SST, BTW,

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems to be just as accurate as the 150 grain ballistic tip yet is quite a bit cheaper and happens to be just a bit tougher in my opinion. It does lack a good deal a good bit of ballistic coefficient if that matters to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty tough bullet for a cup & core.
I found them a little too tough for smaller deer, tending to punch right thru and ending up with them running quite a ways unless you shot them thru the shoulders, which on small deer doesn't help bringing home much meat, etc.
They would probably be better on large Mule Deer, but can't speak to that.
I knocked down a couple of Elk with them out of a Rem. 7 mag easily ; one Bull at about 225 yds & one Cow at about 160 yds.
Both went in behind the shoulder on the entrance side and out the far side shoulder with what looked like good expansion without too much meat damage.
One of my partners used them on Elk for about 20yrs or so without any real problems ; he's a good shot and doesn't shoot shoulders going in though.
I would rate them not quite as good as a N. Partition of similar weight, but close, and are certainly cheaper.
I used them mainly because they were very accurate in the particular rifle I was using.
-Ted smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck finding the 154 gr Hornady Interlock. I picked up a box or two here on the fire and was able to find only one small online operation that had 3 boxes left in stock of which I purchased 2.

I believe this bullet is out of production...at least for now.

My 7x57 loves this bullet. but I've only used them on whitetails and have been satisfied with them.

Dan

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Pretty tough bullet for a cup & core.
I found them a little too tough for smaller deer, tending to punch right thru and ending up with them running quite a ways unless you shot them thru the shoulders, which on small deer doesn't help bringing home much meat, etc.
They would probably be better on large Mule Deer, but can't speak to that.
I knocked down a couple of Elk with them out of a Rem. 7 mag easily ; one Bull at about 225 yds & one Cow at about 160 yds.
Both went in behind the shoulder on the entrance side and out the far side shoulder with what looked like good expansion without too much meat damage.
One of my partners used them on Elk for about 20yrs or so without any real problems ; he's a good shot and doesn't shoot shoulders going in though.
I would rate them not quite as good as a N. Partition of similar weight, but close, and are certainly cheaper.
I used them mainly because they were very accurate in the particular rifle I was using.
-Ted smile

I watched my brother use them out of a 7 rem mag for several years with the same results. Deer usually ran a ways but watched him shoot through both shoulders (scapula) of a medium sized moose at 300 yards with instant results. I always thought they were a bit hard for deer, but gave lots of penetration. They are one C&C bullet I would look at seriously if I was going to shoot moose with a standard case 7mm, like my 7x57 or a 280.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fotis

Keith said he's taken elk with this combo. I have a box of them lying around, but for some reason I got hooked on the 162's...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by patbrennan

I watched my brother use them out of a 7 rem mag for several years with the same results. Deer usually ran a ways but watched him shoot through both shoulders (scapula) of a medium sized moose at 300 yards with instant results. I always thought they were a bit hard for deer, but gave lots of penetration. They are one C&C bullet I would look at seriously if I was going to shoot moose with a standard case 7mm, like my 7x57 or a 280.

While a 250 A-Frame from a 358 Norma was stopped shortly after the first scapula of a small moose at 200 yards

[Linked Image]

I like Interlocks, but big bones can be their undoing and things can get messy.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot them through milk jugs at 3100 a few weeks ago and got 3 or 4 jugs and 59 grains of retention. I lost a few pieces of jacket but I did have a flattened out piece of lead and jacket that weighed like 59 grains. I have seen that bullet when started at 2950 knock down a deer at 200 ish yards. Probably a good deer and elk round out of the bigger 7mms. Weatherby loads it to 3250 out of their ammo line. My hornady book recommends that bullet for medium and large game at impact velocities up to 3200. My belief is that if that bullet had a boattail a lot more guys would shoot them.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Fotis

Woo damn, smokin that little slug on out there Fotis, from my limited elk experience, I'd try to keep em in the lungs.

On a side note I just loaded up 100 rounds 7X57 in Lapua brass with the 175 gr Hornady rnsp, there loafing along at 2400 fps. blush smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used them on a bull moose worked just fine one shot, wife used 154 on a caribou as well

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fotis are you using a weatherby or 7mm rem mag?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great bullet.

Typically, I use it as a deer size down bullet in my 7RM and as an elk size up in littler 7s. I did, though, comfortably use it in 7RM on my last elk hunt; but didn't see a good bull.

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
7mm Bee. Have many on hand

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
out in Wyoming you are going to get some open shots are you not? I think that by the time it gets to your target you will be down a few hundred feet per second. I think that it will penetrate most anything that an elk has to offer in the mid 2500 fps range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fotis,

I used that bullet for years and many elk out of a 7mm Rem mag. No complaints. Ranges out to 400 yards or so (I had no range finder for most of that time). Pushed them through a few bones on occasion. Did not always exit but always got the job done. My opinion is use them with confidence. I quit using the 7mm when I found a 8mm Rem mag and used the 220 Interlock in that for elk and a few deer. No complaints on the 8mm Interlock as well.

8mmwapiti

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I reload the 154gr Interlock in my brothers Ruger stainless 280 Rem. He has only used it on a couple of caribou so far and they punch right on through and put the 'bou down pretty quick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know where there are several boxes in a small LGS. I thought the price was too dang high at ~$55/box, so I left them there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never shot an elk with the bullet. At 2800 fps out of a 7x57 I have only caught one bullet while shooting Mule deer and Whitetails.

A Mule deer was above me at 180 yards and shot placed at the brisket, traveled length of deer and stopped under hide of a rear ham.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's accurate, I'd certainly go there.
I used to do elk with Sierra Match King hollow points until folks said I shouldn't do that. Never had an elk complain though.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/22/14.

1Minute
Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
I know where there are several boxes in a small LGS. I thought the price was too dang high at ~$55/box, so I left them there.

Did the owner offer you any crack? grin
He has to be smoking some!

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,257
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.