Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a Badlands 2200 about 10 years ago. Overall it has served me pretty well but it is falling apart. I have sent it back probably 3 times over the years for repair but they have not always succeeded in fixing the problems. Major issue is the piss poor quality zippers. I am thinking it is time to give up and try another brand. I do like the size of the 2200 and really like its meat hauling design. Can anyone recommend other similar packs to look at that would be�better quality?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine came back with better zippers this last time. I like the versatility of this thing for a daypack and the ability to haul a tree stand in the meat shelf. If somebody'd make a better and lighter dupe of it I'd buy two of the damn things.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Give the Horn Hunter Mainbeam/Mainbeam XL a shot. They both have what you are looking for. I picked up a Mainbeam this past fall season for 100 from Cabelas and was impressed with the build quality. It did seem smaller than its advertised size tho as every pocket when filled encroaches on the main interior area. The XL might be better depending on how much room you need. It's more of a no frills version of the Badlands with not as many options but in my opinion seems to be "overbuilt".

Here's a short review of Mainbeam, Badlands 2200 and X2
http://www.huntaddicts.com/best-backpack-for-hunting-under-250/

Last edited by rjf611; 03/17/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isn't it guaranteed for life. Send it in and tell them to fix the zippers.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Isn't it guaranteed for life. Send it in and tell them to fix the zippers.

The last time I sent a 2200 back for repairs they ruined it. I called them and they said 'send it back'. When they got it back they tried to tell me that they didn't send it out that way! I said, "yeh, I'm sure the mailman tampered with it." Basically, they said there was nothing they could do. I finally got them to send me a new one. It has [bleep] zippers that pop all the time. I really like the new ones but still have reservations about the zippers. The general design works real well for me.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rufous
I bought a Badlands 2200 about 10 years ago. Overall it has served me pretty well but it is falling apart. I have sent it back probably 3 times over the years for repair but they have not always succeeded in fixing the problems. Major issue is the piss poor quality zippers. I am thinking it is time to give up and try another brand. I do like the size of the 2200 and really like its meat hauling design. Can anyone recommend other similar packs to look at that would be�better quality?

I bought a BL 2200 about 8 years ago, used it for 2 seasons.

Sold it here in the classified and bought a Mystery Ranch Bighorn. Been using it ever since. Limited use, less than 20 day hunts for antelope/deer so not much of a test.

It has great zippers/overall build quality, very well made piece of gear. Fairly expensive but it should last a very long time.

Similar to the 2200 in size/design.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by rufous

I bought a BL 2200 about 8 years ago, used it for 2 seasons.

Sold it here in the classified and bought a Mystery Ranch Bighorn. Been using it ever since. Limited use, less than 20 day hunts for antelope/deer so not much of a test.

It has great zippers/overall build quality, very well made piece of gear. Fairly expensive but it should last a very long time.

Similar to the 2200 in size/design.

I'd second a MR internal. I've had a dragonslayer for four or five years now, it's the same frame as the bighorn but a more similar size to the 2200. The bag size gets a little tight when you're trying to haul meat and strap horns and a rifle to it. I think if I were to do it again I'd get the bighorn.

It's a damn stout pack though. I've had a Handful of loads in the 60-80 pound range on it and it's handled them well. Not as good as my full size dans does, but still really well.

The price really isn't that bad on them either in my opinion, compared to a lot of the other high end bags out there.

Here's a picture of my wife hauling two bone in deer shoulders with the rack and her rifle strapped on.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For my uses the configuration of the batwings and meat shelf on the 2200 is what makes it. I've strapped treestands, chainsaws, coolers, scuba tanks, and a buncha other schitt in it with good results. If Kifaru made something similar I'd buy it.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I will take a look at the Mystery Ranch stuff. Thanks. I did send my BL 2200 back. Hoping they just replace it with the new design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SeekOutside, Hill People Gear, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, or Oregon Pack Works. All of those packs are US Made, and really damned good. The Badlands is made in Vietnam. To me, that makes a difference.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.