Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If the Partition shoots that well in your rifle, I'd stop looking!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hard to argue with the performance of the NPT. Swifts have a great reputation as well, but from what I'm reading about the cannelure being too far aft on the 300 grainers, I would be inclined to go with the Nosler and forget it.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I dont know about the cannelure and Partitions are great bullets sure enough but given a choice between the two (assuming similar accuracy) I'd pick the A Frame every time.
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Same here jorge...and I have found A-frames to be particularly easy to work with..Noslers have NEVER let me down, so don't get me wrong...Noslers are GREAT, but A-frames are Phenomenal...

Wish they made one in a .22.... whistle

Last edited by ingwe; 11/21/10.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW that last one is a 180gr Hornady Interlock out of a 300 Weatherby recovered from an impala. Yes recovered. There's a lesson in there somewhere.... smile

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Virtually all the discussion involving A-Frames revolve around Cape Buff and the larger PG like Eland.

For those that have experience, how has the A-Frame performed on the smaller lighter, thin skinned PG (Kudu and smaller)? Would it be recommended, or a perhaps a different bullet if the larger species were not on the menu?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any one have experience with the 9.3x62 285 grain Norma Oryx? This shoots very well in my CZ550.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jorgeI
BTW that last one is a 180gr Hornady Interlock out of a 300 Weatherby recovered from an impala. Yes recovered. There's a lesson in there somewhere.... smile

Jorge:
Knowing how thorough and deliberate you are about your hunting gear I was frankly suprised to read that you shot that 180gn Hornady Interlock out of your 300 Wby Mag!!! I love the Interlocks out of my -'06, but I would have thought it would virtually explode, with shallow penetration at Wby Mag velocities. Shows you how much I know!

Warm trails and blue skies!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fost: See the pics of the bullets shown. Zebra, eland and wildebeest recoveries. The kudu went all the way through. They work great. Jet, the Hornnady was not my first choice. I had just bought that rifle and did not have time to work up loads so I had Weatherby factory X bullets (not TSX). Well they were a "hot" batch and almost froze my bolt so at the last minute Weatherby sent me out replacement ammo and Horndadys were it. Never again. Since they I've used factory Partitions with great success and nowadays exlcusively TTSXs. jorge

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Virtually all the discussion involving A-Frames revolve around Cape Buff and the larger PG like Eland.

For those that have experience, how has the A-Frame performed on the smaller lighter, thin skinned PG (Kudu and smaller)? Would it be recommended, or a perhaps a different bullet if the larger species were not on the menu?

Shot many head of plains game from Duiker to Eland with 300 A-frames from a 375hh; lots of one shot kills(38 of 40). About the only thing they did damage to in a negative way was a Jackel(off side was sure a mess.LOL). All 3 PH's that trip were pleased with the performance.

Recovered very few, and a good portion broke the off side shoulder and exited(Impala,Bluewildebeest,Nyala). I did have a few text book recovered examples from a few frontals; Kudu found in the ham,Gemsbok found under the skin after going thru the rumen;Blue Wildebeest again as the Gemsbok under the skin.

Shooting them now in a 270win; and had good performance on a Muledeer this year.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Did some culling with a 165 gr A-frame in an '06 ( Kudu, Wildebeest,Gemsbok, Waterbuck..) and got excellent performance. So good in fact that when I shot a Wildebeest bull and he plopped over in 10 yds, my PH turns around and says " WHAT bullet did you say you were shooting...?"

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ingwe; Do you remember the load you used with the Aframe in the 30/06?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
59.0 gr.H4831sc

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Fost: See the pics of the bullets shown. Zebra, eland and wildebeest recoveries. The kudu went all the way through. They work great. Jet, the Hornnady was not my first choice. I had just bought that rifle and did not have time to work up loads so I had Weatherby factory X bullets (not TSX). Well they were a "hot" batch and almost froze my bolt so at the last minute Weatherby sent me out replacement ammo and Horndadys were it. Never again. Since they I've used factory Partitions with great success and nowadays exlcusively TTSXs. jorge

Jorge:
Actually, I'm glad you made that shot with the Hornady as it provides meaningful field experience of how it performs at high Weatherby mag speeds. Ain't no mud on it for slower speeds though I'm told.

Warm trails and blue skies!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
they are GREAT for slower speeds, >2700 fps. My opinion anyway..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
they are GREAT for slower speeds, >2700 fps. My opinion anyway..

+1 on the Horns at slower speeds...always performed with excellence for me at around 2400-2800...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chui,

Nice looking rifle. What make?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I went the 250 gr X route in 2002 and was completely satisfied. These from gemsbuck, bushbuck, two kudu and an eland.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by jetblueman
I've initiated contact with my PH for an upcoming safari to RSA. He seems to favor the SAF and I am loyal toward the local favorite Nosler Partition (Oregonian). I think going with the PH's recommendation is a good thing, but so is what you're comfortable and confident shooting.

For those of you with experience with PG and DG with the 9.3, which of the two would you load up for Africa? I'm planning on using the 286gn in each.

Can you sight some examples to narrow it down for me?
Penetration, performance, tissue damage?

I could go either way, but what's worked best for you?
I have a CZ 550 American with a Burris Signature 1.5x6x40 Illumidot.

Thanks...

Jetblueman

I took my 9.3x62mm on a buffalo hunt to Zimbabwe in 2012 and had great success with it. The photo below is the 286gr Swift A-Frame I recovered from my buffalo. We found the bullet just under the skin of the opposite shoulder. He didn't run very far...

That being said, both the Swift A-Frame and the Nosler Partition are great bullets and either will likely serve you very well for both plains and dangerous game (except elephant).
[Linked Image]

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 62 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.