Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes, it does not pay to be a smartass:

In These Towns, Being Annoying Is a Criminal Offense
Communities Strive for Legal Definition; 'Vast Array of Human Behavior'

By JOE PALAZZOLO
Updated March 28, 2014 11:39 p.m. ET
Willian Barboza was arrested for being annoying.

The 23-year-old Connecticut native was sore about a speeding ticket he got in the Village of Liberty in upstate New York in 2012. And when he sent in payment for the fine, he let the town of 4,400 know exactly how he felt.

"[Expletive] YOUR [expletive] TOWN [expletive]," Mr. Barboza wrote on the payment form, scratching out "Liberty" and replacing it with "TYRANNY."

The town wasn't amused. It rejected the payment and prosecuted him under New York's aggravated harassment law, which bans telephone calls and written communication "likely to cause annoyance or alarm."

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Sometimes, it does not pay to be a smartass:

In These Towns, Being Annoying Is a Criminal Offense
Communities Strive for Legal Definition; 'Vast Array of Human Behavior'

By JOE PALAZZOLO
Updated March 28, 2014 11:39 p.m. ET
Willian Barboza was arrested for being annoying.

The 23-year-old Connecticut native was sore about a speeding ticket he got in the Village of Liberty in upstate New York in 2012. And when he sent in payment for the fine, he let the town of 4,400 know exactly how he felt.

"[Expletive] YOUR [expletive] TOWN [expletive]," Mr. Barboza wrote on the payment form, scratching out "Liberty" and replacing it with "TYRANNY."

The town wasn't amused. It rejected the payment and prosecuted him under New York's aggravated harassment law, which bans telephone calls and written communication "likely to cause annoyance or alarm."
In places that have gun bans like we've seen recently, I can't be surprised about stuff like this.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
scratching out "Liberty" and replacing it with "TYRANNY."

Looks like he was correct in his thinking.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I woulda just wiped my asscrack with the ticket, mailed it in and kept quiet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just another foul mouth getting what he so richly deserves, and he had no reason to abuse people that he has never met.

Actions do have consequences.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I woulda just wiped my asscrack with the ticket, mailed it in and kept quiet.

I have had a couple of speeding tickets, I did it so I paid when caught.

I may not agree with the system but it is the game that we have to play.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Just another foul mouth getting what he so richly deserves, and he had no reason to abuse people that he has never met.

True, he's a foul mouthed idiot. But arresting someone because they're a azzhole? Too far in my book.

Besides, city officials would (should) have some expectation that they might deal with people that are upset.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Aggravated Harassment?

Pretty wide sweeping, vague, all encompassing law.

Hell, I could prosecute half the people I talk to for "causing annoyance". wink

Those kind of laws don't ever have a good result. It's nothing more than a catch 22 when the government runs out of valid options.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I had known being annoying was against the law, I could have had my ex-wife's children sentenced to death.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
If I had known being annoying was against the law, I could have had my ex-wife's children sentenced to death.

Love it!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I find it hard to believe he's the first to harshly criticize getting a ticket in that town.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clint
Originally Posted by ingwe

Love it!

I think I will try to get our school principal arrested and sent to the pen forever. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a 1st Amendment violation? Yes the guy is a "douche", but arresting him? Had it been a "threat" sure, but this was not the case!

Only a matter of time when a person expresses his views and is arrested if it isn't popular.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A telephone call that is likely to cause annoyance. So they're prosecuting salesman now too?

If annohing becomes illegal I will have to flee the country. It's personally my best attribute. It's amazing how much you can get accomplished by being annoying.

Last edited by NathanL; 04/01/14.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like Kanada. "You are seated before this Kangaroo court today because you hurt someone's feelings."

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by JSTUART

True, he's a foul mouthed idiot. But arresting someone because they're a azzhole? Too far in my book.

Besides, city officials would (should) have some expectation that they might deal with people that are upset.

Not arrested, prosecuted.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Not arrested, prosecuted.

The distinction seems to have been missed.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think what the bigger problem was here that on his check on the "Pay to the Order of" line, he crossed out the name of the town (Liberty) and wrote Tyranny over it.

Therefore, the check was invalid, and Smartass in fact, never paid his fine. I think he's getting a lesson he needs to learn. Speedtrap or not, giving the finger to authority really doesn't payoff. Was it worth the $100 bucks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rick's membership is about to drop by 90%.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think what the bigger problem was here that on his check on the "Pay to the Order of" line, he crossed out the name of the town (Liberty) and wrote Tyranny over it.

Therefore, the check was invalid, and Smartass in fact, never paid his fine. I think he's getting a lesson he needs to learn. Speedtrap or not, giving the finger to authority really doesn't payoff. Was it worth the $100 bucks?

It says he crossed out Liberty on the "payment form." Check isn't mentioned.

Unenforceable constitutionally vague standard, but it will cost a lot more than $100 to gain vindication.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (12344mag, akrange, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 8 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,085
Posts18,501,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.