Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
byc,

Yeah, Watkins with DJax would be a formidable pair to try to defend against, especially with RG lll tossing and running the rock.

I still have high hopes for Clowney wearing Silver and Black, Maybe Reggie will trade up a little. But I just read at another sports forum that when DJax signed with the Redskins Sammy Watkins put on a Raiders Uniform and posed for pictures. I could definately live with Watkins as the pick there, to go along with James Jones and the good, although young, WR's on the roster should make for an interesting, competitive year, at least!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It will be interesting to see if they can gain more yards than they give up in penalties. If they can stay out of their own way they could be decent.

Last edited by centershot; 04/02/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still believe the Raiders should have retained Jacoby Ford. He and Watkins would have been a lethal duo and both coached by Dabo out of Clemson.

I see Ford eventually turning into a Santana Moss.

Is it September yet????

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
It will be interesting to see if they can gain more yards than they give up in penalties. If they can stay out of their own way they could be decent.

That ship has sailed. Raiders are now (the last two years) among the least penalized. This is an area where Dennis Allen and JAson Tarver have made real strides in changing a whole culture. With league parity a team can no longer afford to give up several 15 yard penalties to make a point like the Raiders of Old used to do with regularity in the 60's through early 80's. During thier awful 10 year run of obscurity it was not "making a point" penalties that killed them, it was mental errors and poor discipline. THIS is one area that has changed in a big way. Khalif Barnes used to be a yellow flag MACHINE, all by himself. Erasing many long runs or long pass play completions with an ill timed hold. Last year, his name or number was rarely called! Coaching can help a guy turn around a career as he has gone from a liabilty to an assett who now bleeds Silver and Black. He and speedy all pro FB Marcel Reese will tell anyone who will listen to be on the lookout for these Raiders. They have done much to help recruit players listed above to be a part of something that, in thier veteran minds and words, will again be something special and a team to be feared.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
I still believe the Raiders should have retained Jacoby Ford. He and Watkins would have been a lethal duo and both coached by Dabo out of Clemson.

I see Ford eventually turning into a Santana Moss.

Is it September yet????

David

Yeah, I will probably always be a Jacoby Ford fan, but the Raiders have loads of speedy talented youngsters still on the roster. Denarious Moore comes immediately to mind. the missing piece has been the veteran guy to bring them along, catching the tough passes right in front of NFL Safeties and hanging on. This is where Mr. Green, formerly of Green Bay comes in. I look for them to add one more reliable, veteran WR or TE to help the team in that regard. I just heard that Matt Schaubs old favorite TE is still a free agent. I look for him to be wearing Silver and BLack someday soon. His work ethic with Current TE David Ausberry's speed and athleticcism would be a scary combo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pats are going to whoop that Raider azz in Gillette. Book it!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't even think about getting your (Skins) 2nd pick back.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RG3 looks like a deer in the headlights while standing in the pocket. Doubt Jackson will make a difference there.

Also, Manziel is going to be the first QB taken in the draft. I think teams are downplaying him because they hope he falls to their pick.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
RG3 looks like a deer in the headlights while standing in the pocket. Doubt Jackson will make a difference there.

Also, Manziel is going to be the first QB taken in the draft. I think teams are downplaying him because they hope he falls to their pick.

Yep, I think he will go either #2 or #3 overall. Still think Clowney will go #1.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Yep, I think he will go either #2 or #3 overall. Still think Clowney will go #1.

I agree on Clowney being 1. Any team who takes JM over Bortles is nuts!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The Raiders had a lot of holes that needed to be filled. No way they could land enough talent in the draft to make an immediate impact. I think their approach of getting several middle of the road players was a better than signing 1 or 2 big name free agents. Afterall, they are more than 1 or 2 players away.

Regarding Schaub, he is better than any other QB that was on their roster and a better choice than the other QB's available. Can he return to his 4,000 yard/Pro Bowl seasons of years past? As a Raiders fan I hope he can.

I think they are moving in the right direction but this season will be rough. I would love to see a playoff/Super Bowl run but don't think it will happen. They are still several players away. 5 to 8 wins this season is my guess.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 04/02/14.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
5 wins for the Raiders.

Quality matters, and they mostly signed other teams' castoffs.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Home: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Houston

Away: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, New England, NY Jets, St. Louis, Seattle, Cleveland

KC and San Diego are beatable as are Buffalo, Miami, Houston, Jets, and Cleveland. Depending on how well the free agents play, Arizona and St Louis are beatable too. Don't see them hanging with Denver, Seattle, SF, Patriots or 49ers.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 04/03/14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Home: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, Buffalo, Miami, Arizona, San Francisco, Houston

Away: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, New England, NY Jets, St. Louis, Seattle, Cleveland

KC and San Diego are beatable as are Buffalo, Miami, Houston, Jets, and Cleveland. Depending on how well the free agents play, Arizona and St Louis are beatable too. Don't see them hanging with Denver, Seattle, SF, Patriots or 49ers.

That is about how I see it as well, although I think that they will play even those teams pretty tough and sneak up and bite one or more of them. They usually beat Denver at least once every year, even in their worst years, and have bounced them from the playoffs late in the season twice in recent history. 8-10 wins, a couple of short winning streaks, and being in the playoff hunt till the end, is what my crystal ball is telling me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
5 wins. Signing cast-off free agents is not a recipe for success.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
5 wins. Signing cast-off free agents is not a recipe for success.

Using your analogy one should never buy a used vehicle or firearm I guess? Aren't these someones "cast offs"?

I would not call the free agents they have signed as "cast offs". Most had offers from other teams and the deals they signed were cap friendly to the Raiders. These players are certainly not long term answers but should fill the gap for the next 1-3 years, until younger talent develops.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A used vehicle would be a good analogy. If another team thought that player was worth it, they would have signed them.

They signed away all their good money on old vets who are in the downward slide of athletic life.

They won't be very competitive in a highly competitive division. The best thing they could do would be to get Marcel Reece and Latavius Murray on the field at the same time, and play some smashmouth football to hide their offensive weaknesses and give the defense a break.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I will agree with you concerning Murray and Reece...Reece is certainly under utilized and Murray has a lot of potential. If they play smash mouth football, they will win some games.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The reviews and reports I have seen and heard have the Raiders doing exactly that, and giving Matt Schaub good situations to throw in.

I am really looking forward to seeing Latavius Murray and the rest of the gang of RB's getting some big yards.

There is a good group of youngsters coming up, as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is Alzado ready to go. laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,649
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.