Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhunter
The new Kimber Ascent weighs 4 lbs 13oz as advertised. I'm going for all out light weight. I like to hunt the toughest terrain and go further than most do when hunting. I will be hunting Montana's unlimited sheep unit next year. Unit 502 and it isn't called Hellroaring for nothing!

I was holding back all bias on these rounds till I heard some opinions.

The muzzle break is removable on the Kimber. I normally don't like muzzle breaks at all, however some of the reviews on this one are impressive. I would still take it off more than likely.

I agree that recoil in these light weights is not for the faint and the 300 wsm with a 150 grain does kick like a mule! I liked the rounds offered in the 300 wsm ( 130 grain all the way to 180) so it has many uses. and is an extremely flat shooting caliber!

With much practice I have been able to bear the recoil and shoot extremely accurate even freehand. once comfortable and accurate it should only take one shot to take game down.

I also agree that the 06 is not much different in the available loads and has a healthy kick along with the 300. The 308 is similar in loads but with much less recoil and will do just as much as a 06.

I am leaning heavily towards the 270 for the availability point, and relative flat shooting, but talking to a few people they have said this round can be a little fussy when trying to finding an accurate round. I don't put much stock in that statement with todays loads.

If you are hunting Montana next year and don't already have the Mountain Ascent in hand, then you won't be hunting it with that rifle (likely). Backorder is about 18 months.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by ejo
The Ascent feels like a toy and I am not sure I would pick it for a remote hunt. It does not feel very durable.

Funny, it's nothing more than a Montana with a fluted barrel, brake, and some machining done to the bolt and action. Your logic, fails.

The bolt has considerable machining, especially the handle and is to the point where it feels flimsy. Just my impression, to each their own.

U
OP Offline
U
Just wanted to thank most everyone on the great posts!!!

It may not be the rifle for a remote back country hunt or for me. However, until it is actually put to the test I won't know. on a side note, my Browning TI may not be the best either as the bolt is actually encased in a composite plastic. This was scary at first, definitely seemed like a strange thing to put on a gun of this magnitude! That gun passed the test!

Here is my logic on the weight of this gun. yes it is extremely light weight and may feel less durable, but this could be tested at the range far ahead of a hunt. Ounces to me are somewhat important especially for a solo trip. If all my gear weighed extra OZ. it could add up to lbs. yes I know I could compromise on a few important things, but when you are climbing a mountain to hunt this is important.

I have done remote hunts with archery equipment, which to me can be more sensitive than a gun. I took extra care. Just my opinion.

I am aware the barrels can be extremely sensitive, especially to heat on these guns.

I do like the Montana and is very close in weight, but I would like to give this gun a shot.

The Kimber Ascent is available on Gunbroker.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Wby Mk V Ultralight is hard to beat for a lightweight totin' rig.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In case you weren't aware, you can shoot .280 Rem ammo in the 280AI if you lose your ammo on a remote trip. Not saying that .280 Rem ammo is that easy to find in a remote location, but you'd be more likely to find that than the .280AI.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The Wby Mk V Ultralight is hard to beat for a lightweight totin' rig.

depends, unlike one of the other posters the Montana's stock fits me very well......not sure i could find rings tall enough for me to use the Weatherby with ease.....for some damn reason due to some combination of features of my neck and face even with the classic Kimber stock i need high rings to make stuff line up without having to work at it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck, UP'er, with whatever you choose.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You could probably get by just fine with no rifle on an unlimited sheep hunt for the first few years, unless you're intimate with the area. Though you should probably bring one in case you run into a wolf.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the vanilla Montana, get in on the buy on a ti bolt handles going on in the classifieds. Put on an aluminum trigger guard and you're within 2 ounces of the Assent, with enough left over to cover the scope.

My Montana .280ai shoots pretty much everything pretty well.

Life is just one damned thing after another
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
According to the Kimber website the Ascent is only nine ounces lighter than the Montana.
And the Ascent retails $700 higher than the Montana.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You could probably get by just fine with no rifle on an unlimited sheep hunt for the first few years, unless you're intimate with the area. Though you should probably bring one in case you ran into a wolf.

That could be the most solid piece of advise offered on this thread...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
UP, If you are committed to the Ascent, that is your choice. From that point, I'd give the nod to the .270 over the .308 for down range ballistics. I'd be pursuing the .277 bullet lineup for some of the top BC values and checking what the Ascent likes. A cursory glance shows the 140 and 150 gr Accubond as being close to .500.
Good luck

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
UP, If you are committed to the Ascent, that is your choice. From that point, I'd give the nod to the .270 over the .308 for down range ballistics. I'd be pursuing the .277 bullet lineup for some of the top BC values and checking what the Ascent likes. A cursory glance shows the 140 and 150 gr Accubond as being close to .500.
Good luck

That makes no sense. If you're going LA, and choose the .270 for downrange performance, you've chosen the worst of the three options in the LA for downrange performance. Either the .280AI or the .30-06 offer better downrange performance options than the .270 when factoring in BC. In short action, to save weight (and if you're getting the KMA, then you are counting grams), the .308 offers sufficient downrange performance based upon the BC options in 168-180 grain offerings.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck

That makes no sense. If you're going LA, and choose the .270 for downrange performance, you've chosen the worst of the three options in the LA for downrange performance. Either the .280AI or the .30-06 offer better downrange performance options than the .270 when factoring in BC. In short action, to save weight (and if you're getting the KMA, then you are counting grams), the .308 offers sufficient downrange performance based upon the BC options in 168-180 grain offerings.

If you read his posts, he already is leaning towards the .270Win.. He is going sheep hunting and doesn't need a the AI or 30-06. He seems committed to the two combinations. I put in the .308 for the "inherent accuracy" factor.
If it were me, I'd go Montana in 270Win..
He already has a 300WSM, so he has that upper end covered.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck

If you read his posts, he already is leaning towards the .270Win.. He is going sheep hunting and doesn't need a the AI or 30-06. He seems committed to the two combinations. I put in the .308 for the "inherent accuracy" factor.
If it were me, I'd go Montana in 270Win..
He already has a 300WSM, so he has that upper end covered.

I read his posts. I also read yours.

It doesn't seem like he "needs" another rifle at all, and is simply trying to justify the KMA in .270. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't due to "need".

If it were me, I'd go with a Montana, easily, as well (though a different chambering).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You really like to argue, don't you?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really like to argue, don't you?

No, not really. I agreed with almost everything you said, differing only in what choice of chambering for the Montana and the real reason the OP is getting a new rifle. He wants one; there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't see the argument here, nor any need for one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
UP,
That Unlimited hunt concept is a high speed adventure that can end anytime.
Sheep hunting is unique adventure that will always be at the top of your memory bank.
Good luck with your new rifle and post some photos as you can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UP,
That Unlimited hunt concept is a high speed adventure that can end anytime.
Sheep hunting is unique adventure that will always be at the top of your memory bank.
Good luck with your new rifle and post some photos as you can.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

A bit envious, too.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.