Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Their answer will be for more enhanced background checks and more accessibility to medical records. Expect every doctor visit to include 'Do you ever feel sad or depressed'?

When I was active duty that was a standard question for every doc visit. I retired 3 years ago.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
It's astounding that US Military SOLDIERS on a military base, have to call for help when there's an active shooter. There are literally thousands of individuals qualified to carry a weapon, and no one to respond.
Astounding is right. Shameful, even.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I can understand them not allowing folks to carry their service weapon around full time - been there and understand it. What I can't understand is that they won't allow soldiers who have qualified for concealed carry on the civilian side as well as qualified in weapons on the military side to carry concealed on base.

For heaven's sake, at least let guys licensed for concealed carry in the state the base is in carry ON THE BASE!!

And the big thing I note again, is that yet another mass shooting occurred where the shooter has been on anti-depressants. And the media is silent. Not even talk about looking for a link. Is it the anti-depressants causing it, or is it just very likely that folks who do this crap will already be on them?
What advantage is there for a soldier or Marine to have to have a CCW before they can carry their service handgun on base?
None, to the lawful and the just. Plenty to the unlawful and the government.

I didn't state my position well. If a base commander wants to allow certain personnel to carry, that's obvious to me that it should be allowed. On the other hand, he should also have the right to ban the carry of service weapons by anybody he wants to. But anybody who is licensed to carry concealed off base should as a matter of policy be allowed to carry concealed on base, barring special circumstances.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I haven't looked it up myself, but news reports here in Oklahoma state it is DOD policy that makes our bases gun-free zones. Also said that servicemen my own firearms on base, but they must register them.

Amazing. The very lads who protect and defend the Constitution can't even exercise their Constitutional rights.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
10-4 Okie! I agree 100%.
Our service personnel are being denied a RIGHT they are working to defend - can anyone say "infringed"?

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like the last time it happened in a so-called gun-free zone.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
..... Surprisingly (not), not a single MSM anchor or guest questioned the policy of forbidding individual exercise of the 2nd Amendment Right to life on the post.

Personal responsibility for one's own protection is as foreign to a liberal's thought process as is the idea that intentional abortion (in every case and situation) is the murder of an unborn child.

It's because the notion of self-determinism, or self defense, and a solution to anything without dependency on government, or some rule, or procedure,is completely foreign to them.This is the sort of thing,in their misguided minds, for which government must find a solution. It cannot be left to the individual,they think.

If they expect the government to feed them if they are hungry,take care of them for free when they are sick, give them money when they don't work,how can we expect them to ever take responsibility for something as unpleasant and fundamental as defending themselves?

They are uncomfortable in the presence of those capable of doing so themselves.This exposes their own insecurities and fears.... So they discredit those people and the institutions that enable them, like the 2nd amendment.

This is spot on! Thank you

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I can understand them not allowing folks to carry their service weapon around full time - been there and understand it. What I can't understand is that they won't allow soldiers who have qualified for concealed carry on the civilian side as well as qualified in weapons on the military side to carry concealed on base.

For heaven's sake, at least let guys licensed for concealed carry in the state the base is in carry ON THE BASE!!

And the big thing I note again, is that yet another mass shooting occurred where the shooter has been on anti-depressants. And the media is silent. Not even talk about looking for a link. Is it the anti-depressants causing it, or is it just very likely that folks who do this crap will already be on them?

I don't understand it at all. If someone in the military doesn't know how to safely handle a firearm, then he or she should receive additional training. If they are to stupid to train, or too careless to trust, then they should get a discharge.

Why not issue them firearms (rifle and a pistol) when they complete basic and make them keep them until they are discharged. Tell them that they have to have one or the other on them at all times. They would be a lot more familiar with the firearms and likely would have less "unexpected discharges" when they get shipped to a combat zone. Heck, give them the option to keep it after they are discharged, they have earned it.

Harry
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It is not feasible for each and every member to have a weapon at all times. Imagine trying to load bombs, 14 ft up a ladder, inside a already tight bomb bay.

Everyone is qualified, and maintains qualification, that does not mean we all need to carry service weapons at all times. Now, if one chose to carry a personal weapon, it should be allowed.

Dorm/barracks residents are not even allowed to keep them in their rooms. They must be kept at the armory. And families on base must register their private firearms with the armory, after a brief from the CC and Shirt!

Originally Posted by 280shooter
Their answer will be for more enhanced background checks and more accessibility to medical records. Expect every doctor visit to include 'Do you ever feel sad or depressed'?

It is asked for each and every visit.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm guessing the Military will now form a ARMY SWAT TEAM , and call them Army Rangers .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't want the majority of enlisted folks walking around with a gun on base; too many hotheads.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Probably not any officers that are hot heads.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If the base commander thought he just had to limit carry on base, then limit it to SNCOs and above.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I wouldn't want the majority of enlisted folks walking around with a gun on base; too many hotheads.

I knew quite a few OFFICERS that were just goofy and would not want to be within 2 miles of them with a firearm on their person.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. I wouldn't want some of the characters I served with carrying. Not just for the malcontents but the idiots. One guy I knew caught a ricochet in the butt when a fellow MP got bored on duty and started playing with his pistol. (Not his gun at least. grin )

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well here in Wyoming we can carry concealed without a ccw license. The media was wring their hands saying with all the armed people it would not be safe anywhere. There would be gun fights in the grocery stores, eating joints, on the streets. A blood bath. Hasn't happened. I think there needs to be more CCW carriers on bases and advertised there are armed people on base.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I don't understand it at all. If someone in the military doesn't know how to safely handle a firearm, then he or she should receive additional training. If they are to stupid to train, or too careless to trust, then they should get a discharge.

The military (army is my first hand experience) isn't about training somebody how to safely handle a firearm.

It's about teaching people to kill other people.

Preferably without killing anybody on your own side, but that part isn't emphasized as much. Gun safety beyond clearing your weapon (and you'd be amazed how often THAT can't be done properly) isn't a major topic.
Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire? Yeah, right.
Don't aim at something you don't plan on killing? They plan on killing anything threatening.
Don't fire unless you know what's behind your target? Not so much...

Folks on bases have jobs. Long arms for everybody are a silly idea. And what do you do when somebody you issue a sidearm to goes wandering off base for lunch or an errand in a non-open carry city or state?

Easy solution with no unintended consequences is to allow concealed carry for any who have a concealed carry license in the state they are based in. And to allow the base commander to do whatever he wants for the rest. Want to set up roving patrols with M4's? Fine. Want to allow officers to carry side arms on base? Fine. Want to set up machinegun nests with SAW's? Fine. Heck, I remember walking the M60 gauntlet during payday in Basic and AIT.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember walking the M60 gauntlet during payday in Basic and AIT.

Why do you suppose security was tighter than at your local bank where the big money is?

I've been on armed details on posts in the interest of crime prevention so there are alternatives. On one occasion a guy I was paired with pulled out a joint. Really kept my eye on him the next two hours. And the post commander is god, we had enough crap roll downhill from command through him to make our lives uncomfortable. One reason for all those fairly pointless details.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Makes me remember a bunch of Obama Look-a-Likes outside the NCO club on Campbell one night in 1972 messing around with a M-79 40 mm Grenada one had swiped of the range . One of the brilliant ones decided to rap it against the loading ramp killing himself and a couple of others and it Fragged the whole bunch of ten or more blowing off a couple of arms, putting the survivors in the hospital and knocking out bunch of windows in the part cars. I heard it go off and walked to the parking lot bodies laying every where . I couldn't help but laugh . Us white boys called the NCO Club Little Africa, nothing but Black there 90% of the time and nothing but Black downs in the blast area.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.