Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
teal,

Some equipment is local and it's often interesting how that comes to be. 'Croix makes some fair to middlin' stuff and I can't cuss 'em.

Don't try a Loomis.(grin)

Coal',

I drive old school PP expressly and by design.

The schit is simply [bleep] amazing.

'BR,

PP everywhere and yellow is a marked preference.

I never don't not have a rifle over the shoulder and I've seen me schlep a Montucky 223AI with frequency. Tough act to follow.

I'm more than a touch comfy with it and the ilk.(grin)

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If your talking about mono line sufix is good stuff as is vicious panfish line. For super line the new nanofil is awesome. Casts better than anything I have tried. A three come in hi viz yellow. I like it cause I'm a line watcher, you don't always feel them bite but you can see your line move. If I'm fising clear water I will tie a lo viz green leader onto my main line with a double surgeon s knot. Yo zuri hybrid soft is good stuff too but the diameter is about one size bigger as stated. 4 pound is about the dia of 6 pound buy ist stronger than most 4 and as strong as six in my experience. It lasts longer than mono too.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by forpest
Have used Power Pro for the past 4 yrs -same line. I was told by a tourney angler that you can turn the line around - end for end and use it for another several yrs, which greatly reduces the price. PowerPro has a new line PP slick? that I will try this spring. Braids aren't the best for ice fishing, though. They tend to pick up water and freeze straight. . which can become a good marker for depth or a pain. You will enjoy the sensitivity of braids.

Flourocarbon could be good line, but really does require special knots. I just use it for leader material.

Good fishing!

Is it so expensive that this technique is worth it?

The cost is relative. I have to respool my mono reels every year because the memory causes the line to air-knot. Braid will last several seasons and has no memory so no problem with air knotting. So while braid is initially more expensive, I find it lasts so much longer that it's price is effectively the same as mono.

The one thing to be aware of when switching to braid is you put a lot more strain on the rod and the reels drag because the line isn't taking any of the shock and stretch.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seaguar Invizx 10# is what I use. The strongest line I've used.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Anybody have any feedback on Berkley "Nano-Fil" ?

I just came back from my local fishing store, and they had it stock, but the guy I usually get advice from said he wasn't impressed. Recommended Trilene XL for open face spinning gear.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also use Fireline. Use mostly 4 and 6 lb for largemouth and smallmouth bass with light lures at Roosevelt Lake Az. Have been doing so for 11 yrs and see no reason to change.

I still reverse lines. Why not? It takes the same time as spooling on new line and the cost is zero.

RickcNY,

My friend from Roch. fishes exclusively for perch in Seneca and Canandaigua with deer hair jigs. He only uses 4 lb smoke fireline.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anaconda, my research on reviews showed Fireline much prefered over nano-fil. That said, if not braid, do yourself a favor, try P-line CX Premium, Low memory equals limp long cast, and the 6# I use rarely breaks even when hung up bad. It must be closer to 10# break strength. Sensitive and sinks, little slack vs. mono.

Like AZ, when you use something that works so well, hard to go back. XL was a good line in it's day....today much better exists IME. I have used it, it's good, others great.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rick, what will you be fishing for?

Most of my River rods have spiderwire on them. My trout and steelhead have chamealeon(sp), i believe

My catfish, walleye, and muskie rods all have braid. Save one catfish rod. A downrigher rod rigged with 65 pound braid as backing and 50 pound mono, a drop rig with 3 2 ounce bank sinkers and a 5ought circle hook. That rod is soecifically for deep hole cats. The rest are abu garcia ambassador reels on 8'6" meadium heavy rods rigged with30 pound spider wire.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Stream rods for trout ,balance ,panfish,bass ,trout ,northerns ,walleyes,salmon ,muskies ,some catfishing ,bullheads

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
With a high country creek fishing expedition coming next weekend, it was time.
I spooled my ultra light with 6 lb Fireline, smoke color.
I've been using 4 lb Stren for decades.
We will boat across a lake at about 7,500 feet, and hike a few miles up the creek that feeds it, throwing spinners for trout
in the 1-2 lb range.
I'm thinking 1/8 oz Panther Martens and Blue Foxs.

I'm hoping the fireline will out cast the old 4 lb mono, and be strong enough to pull me out of some snags.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I switched to fireline quite a few years ago and never looked back. Well I shouldn't say never... A buddy talked me into trying this new mono that came out. I don't remember what it was exactly. I tried it on one trip and stripped it off as soon as I got home and put fireline back on.

To me it is so much more sensitive and hook set friendly. Not to mention that you can use it to pull your truck out of the ditch in a pinch!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found when I switched from 4# to 6# that I rarely loose tackle to snagged sticks or lilly pads and I didn't seem to give up much casting distance.

If you really want to get some distance, go up to 1/4 oz lures. They will outcast the smaller lures, and also seem to keep the smaller fish off the hook.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Power Pro in braid for certain applications and Berkley Trilene Big Game for mono. Still feeling out the flourocarbon's as to which I like best. Mono is good for topwaters and general fishing. Braid is good for pitching and flipping. Floro's are good for crankbaiting and worm fishing/senko's and swimbaits. I usually bass fish FWIW smile [Linked Image]

Last edited by raybass; 05/23/14.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Largely based on information from this thread, I switched from 5 decades of using mono to some new superlines and went fishing this weekend.

I spooled my ultralight with 6 lb Fireline, and was impressed.
I was casting 1/8 oz spinners much better than the old 4 lb mono, and this stuff is way stronger. The one time I hung it up in rocks I was able to pull it free. With the old 4 lb Trilene or Stren, it would have been a lost spinner.

I set up a lake trolling rig with 30 lb Power Pro on a Shimino Cardiff and caught a dozen rainbows ranging from 12" to 19".
I was afraid this rig would be overkill for trout of this size, but it was perfect for handling the blade-flasher trolling rigs and weights we run. My friends, mostly running 10-12 lb mono on open faced spinning rigs had tangles and line problems on and off both days. I had no problems and was able to keep my rig behind the boat while they messed with gear.

My new trolling and heavy crankbait rig.

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of the guys on here that are loving the fire line would like nanofil better, try it.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Another vote for braid.

Bait casting- power pro or cortland master braid

Spinning- fire line.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I looked all over town for nanofil, and the only place that had it only had white, and the guy behind the counter didn't recommend it.
The "smoke grey fireline" was invisible in the lake water.
I still have a couple of medium spinning rigs, maybe I'll try nano on one of them, but Fireline is pretty impressive to someone who has been using Stren and Trilene since Nixon was president.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I am a fire line fan.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run 100lb power pro on my halibut rig. I have had the same line on it for about 5 years now, and it is still going strong. There is something to be said about getting hung up on the bottom and using the boat to pull it off. I normally run a corkscrew swivel and tie it on with a palomar knot. I have had no issues with knot strength.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I looked all over town for nanofil, and the only place that had it only had white, and the guy behind the counter didn't recommend it.
The "smoke grey fireline" was invisible in the lake water.
I still have a couple of medium spinning rigs, maybe I'll try nano on one of them, but Fireline is pretty impressive to someone who has been using Stren and Trilene since Nixon was president.

I use the yellow cause I can see it. I just add a 6'-7' length of low viz green mono to the end of the nanofil regardless of water color. It gives you a little shock resistance so you don't rip their mouth. You lose less fish when you do this. It also makes the line more invisable to fish. I tried floro but like mono for leader material better. You can still feel every little peck on your line. A little bit of stretch is a good thing. I tie them together with a modified surgeons knot, no swivel unless im using a lure that causes a lot of line twist like a jigging spoon or inline spinner. Othewise the knot passes right through the guides.

Last edited by seal_billy; 05/26/14.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.