Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhunter
I am looking into buying a Kimber Ascent and I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber to purchase. I could use some help on this topic, but first here are my thoughts on this.

The Kimber ascent is only available in 270, 280AI,308,30-06.

I already own a Browning TI in 300wsm. 5lbs 8oz. I have taken elk and mule deer with this gun. Great gun, but overkill.

I like the Kimber and I would like a smaller caliber/lighter gun for deer, ram, elk... basically an all around gun for the west.

The 270 is nice since it is a popular, flat shooting and easy to obtain ammo if needed anywhere in the US. recoil is moderate

The 280 AI has great ballistics, however very limited on factory ammo. hard to find.

The 308 is extremely accurate, has the least recoil, easy to obtain ammo, wide factory ammo selection, but it is not a flat shooter, but has long range capabilities.

The 30-06 is a great round, popular, easy to find ammo, semi flat shooting, wide selection of ammo, however it has a healthy kick to it.

What are your thoughts??

I differ from many on the Mountain Ascent. I find it loaded down with excessive and expensive gimmickry that add up to a small amount of weight loss not really needed or wanted... my standard is if you need a muzzle break, you need to step down in power. And if 4 ounces make a big difference to you, you have no business on a mountain. I actually wish the Montana's had no.2 contours and 6-8 ounces more weight, not less.

YMMV.

Having said that, I'd pick an 84M 308 MT or 84L 270 MT... I've used both on elk, deer and antelope here, as well as the 84L 30-06 MT.

I find the 30-06 a bit too much of a good thing. Talking with those that have the 280 AI, it's similar in recoil (sharp and brisk).

The 308 is my all-time favorite Montana, and have used it on antelope to just past 400 yards. Works well on elk too.

The 270 MT is the most power I'd go in a light platform. I loaded mine with a variety of 150 grainers, but were I to do it again I'd go with 130's or no more than 140's, which are more than enough for all Western game.

BUT... the 308 is just so eager to please. Recoil is a non-issue. Works on game farther than any of us should be shooting BG.

Use the money you'd save sticking with a standard Montana, and stick a fine piece of glass on it with dots or turrets.

At the end of the day, cartridges are more alike than different, and the ability to compensate for drop levels the playing field between various "standard" cartridges. I'd rather have something I enjoy shooting, than something I have to "deal with." "Dealing with" starts right above the 270 Montana for me, so I'd call that particular chambering the end of the game, but only with lighter bullets... for me.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To for the new Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08. It gets you the higher BC of the 7mm bullets and the same weight as the Ascent. I believe the rifle comes with both a muzzle brake and a thread protector for the barrel so the brake can be removed.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Again, inside 500 yards, BC means essentially squat.

For me, the Kimber ADK is as gimmick laden as the Ascent... but at least it has a short barrel crazy

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad, you're not kind to the marketing guys are you?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
Brad, you're not kind to the marketing guys are you?

Nope. But I'm all for Kimber selling as many rifles as they can... as the used car salesman said, "there's an azz for every seat!"

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by cotis
To for the new Kimber Adirondack in 7mm-08. It gets you the higher BC of the 7mm bullets and the same weight as the Ascent. I believe the rifle comes with both a muzzle brake and a thread protector for the barrel so the brake can be removed.

+1 on the Adirondack in 7mm-08.

I have shot a few lightweight rifles including the Ascent so I have my own opinions. I own a Rem700 Ti in 7mm-08 Ackley which is a tack driver. I also own and am currently re-barreling and restocking a Savage 11 lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. The Savage, to ME is a horrible rifle. The idea was good but the finished product sucked. It now has a Shilen #2 BBL and I am waiting for the McMillan Edge stock to arrive. The accu-trigger will also be replaced. These two I consider my mountain rifles.

The Ascent I shot was a 308 and it shot 1 moa with factory 155 Hornady Amax ammo very easily. If I would have been able to spend a little more time shooting it I am sure the groups would have been smaller. Very nice rifle.

Now to address some earlier comments.

Thinner barrels are not necessarily any less accurate than heavy barreled rifles. Yes, they heat up quicker and if there is any stress induced flaws in the bbls metallurgy they will walk once they heat up. My 700 Ti is a legitimate 1/2 moa gun. The problem with some skinny barreled rifles is that the barrels were probably not heat treated correctly after the machining process or stresses were induced in the machining process and never addressed. This is easily fixed. Just send it to 300 Below and have them cryo treat it. I have done this with a couple of factory bbls and have been happy with the results.

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain. 1 day is not 10 days and every oz. does matter. Getting out of your pickup and climbing up the hill for a day is not a real high mountain hunt. A true high alpine hunt requires specialized equipment to be successful. My equipment and rifles differ depending on what and where I am hunting. My AZ elk rifle can be a little heavier because the physical requirements are not as demanding as my Utah mountain goat rifle. Spend some TIME on the mountain and then ask yourself if ozs. matter.

Last edited by rifleman700; 04/05/14.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My buddy is looking for one and trying to decide the same thing. Losing your ammo is a really a non-issue. Put a couple of boxes in the hard case and IF you have your rifle, you have your ammo. My biggest concern with them is how fragile they are. A barrel that thin is not very strong and you would have to be careful with it. Although there isn't a lot of difference in these chamberings, if you can handle the recoil, the 280AI is certainly the Thoroughbred of the bunch. My lightest rifle is a 700 Mtn rifle in 260AI. It is a joy to hunt with and quite accurate but not as easy to shoot as my much heavier 6.5-284. Strapping a rifle on your back makes the weight savings a moot point, hanging onto it in rough country makes a huge difference.

Myself, I would get a Montana but since you want an ascent, I would suggest the 280AI. As reported, you can always shoot factory 280 ammo in it but you will lose about 100 fps fireforming.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rifleman700

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain. 1 day is not 10 days and every oz. does matter. Getting out of your pickup and climbing up the hill for a day is not a real high mountain hunt. A true high alpine hunt requires specialized equipment to be successful. My equipment and rifles differ depending on what and where I am hunting. My AZ elk rifle can be a little heavier because the physical requirements are not as demanding as my Utah mountain goat rifle. Spend some TIME on the mountain and then ask yourself if ozs. matter.

4 ounces doesn't matter.

And I've spent plenty of time in the mountains.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain.

Now that right there is funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cotis

+1 on the Adirondack in 7mm-08.

I have shot a few lightweight rifles including the Ascent so I have my own opinions. I own a Rem700 Ti in 7mm-08 Ackley which is a tack driver. I also own and am currently re-barreling and restocking a Savage 11 lightweight hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. The Savage, to ME is a horrible rifle. The idea was good but the finished product sucked. It now has a Shilen #2 BBL and I am waiting for the McMillan Edge stock to arrive. The accu-trigger will also be replaced. These two I consider my mountain rifles.

The Ascent I shot was a 308 and it shot 1 moa with factory 155 Hornady Amax ammo very easily. If I would have been able to spend a little more time shooting it I am sure the groups would have been smaller. Very nice rifle.

Now to address some earlier comments.

Thinner barrels are not necessarily any less accurate than heavy barreled rifles. Yes, they heat up quicker and if there is any stress induced flaws in the bbls metallurgy they will walk once they heat up. My 700 Ti is a legitimate 1/2 moa gun. The problem with some skinny barreled rifles is that the barrels were probably not heat treated correctly after the machining process or stresses were induced in the machining process and never addressed. This is easily fixed. Just send it to 300 Below and have them cryo treat it. I have done this with a couple of factory bbls and have been happy with the results.

That's an amazing amount of bullchit into such a small space. Well done.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad

Now the comments about weight. Those who say that 4 ozs. of weight saving is not worth it obviously have not spent much time on the mountain.

Yup. I know where to save weight, and where not to. It's not rocket science. Those who say a 4 lb. 30-06 is a good idea obviously don't shoot much.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yes, a lot like saying that toting a 20oz hatchet across the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 is, how did you say it? Stupid?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with Brads assessment on the Montana vs. Adk/Ascent comparison. I personally would carry a Montana. But 4ager indicated his commitment to the rifle style so I didn't go there. Having spent a fair amount of time behind a variety of 84M's I have proven to myself that lightweight can be a liability if you are a true rifle loony. Saving overall weight on a backpack hunt is a necessary pursuit that becomes a series of trade-offs. Certainly 4ager realizes that fact and he is going to be a "minimalist" on the mountain.
Short of a Kifaru Rambing Rifle, the Adk/Ascent style is a good middle ground for his journey.
Which rifle scope to use is another viable topic as weight is also a factor.
I would be reaching for a proven Leupold 6x36 LR in Talley LW's. I also would consider a duplicative scope in the event of an unforeseen event. There are a lot of weight variables to consider besides the rifle/scope package.

When you are going to live out of your backpack, you need to spend time with a digital scale.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

4 ounces doesn't matter.

And I've spent plenty of time in the mountains.

As much as 4 oz may or may not matter to some folks, IMHO, the way a rifle fits in my hand when I'm carrying it makes more difference than 4oz's.

I'd gladly add 4oz's to the 84M's barrel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Same here.

Would really help the balance.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Same here.

Agreed, or as I said:

I actually wish the Montana's had no.2 contours and 6-8 ounces more weight, not less.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just got a NULA (260) with a #2 for that very reason.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Yes, a lot like saying that toting a 20oz hatchet across the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 is, how did you say it? Stupid?

TAK, per usual you're out of your depth.

The Bob isn't the largest wilderness in the lower 48. It's the 5th largest.

And yes, toting a 20 oz axe in summer Montana is beyond stupid.

Does that help for clarification?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
I just got a NULA (260) with a #2 for that very reason.

Can't fault that thinking... I'm just a died-in-the-wool crf man.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Same here.

Agreed, or as I said:

I actually wish the Montana's had no.2 contours and 6-8 ounces more weight, not less.

If my 308 with the Lilja contour ever gets finished we'll be able to compare that weight. He's supposed to weigh the take-off and the new chambered/threaded barrel for comparison.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 23 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.