Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhunter
Thanks rifleman

There seems to be one thing that is certain, that the Kimber M is popular, comparable in weight and accurate. I never once denied that.
I was simply looking at purchasing the Ascent. and its four offerings. I would like to try it with and without the break, and I happen to like the engineering of the rifle. It may or may not work out and I'm willing to fork out the extra bucks to try it. A rifle is an investment and most do not lose money when well taken care of. If it does not work out with this gun, I will definitely be buying a Kimber M.

I agree that there is a lot of great info on here and I learned much. also thanked everyone no less than two times on here. I made a statement about someone's disrespectful remark... we are all hunters on here... I don't think it appropriate to be bashing one another. while Brad made a statement about the weight, I threw a rock back at him to make a point...he also took it as disrespectful. looks like a lot of resentment from the people in MT... just saying, we are all hunters.
I know any of these rifles will be great, I simply wanted experience as I only have 2 out of 4 calibers. my original question was for accuracy and handling as some calibers can be a little fussy.

Thanks again

I don't think that any of the 308, 270, 280AI or 30-06 can be termed "fussy" especially with todays bullets.

Pick one and go with it. There really is no wrong answer.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I threw a rock back at him to make a point...he also took it as disrespectful.

Most sane people take another throwing a rock at them as disrespectful... actually.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Old man used a model 54 in 30-06 for everything including Mt.Goat and Dall Sheep in Alaska.He hauled a M1 Garand around for 4 years in all kinds of terrain and weather and figured just about anything was light weight after that.In the late 40s there was not any specialized equipment for hunting Mountains and Cold weather hunts.He had his Army Down sleeping bag and that was as high tech as he was.So what I am saying is 4 oz don`t mean chit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can understand folks being concerned about the 4 oz business.

In and of itself 4 oz's doesn't mean much, but if you ignore 4 oz's, 4 times, you now have a pound; and you sit there looking at the rifle on a scale saying..."Where'd that extra weight come from!!!".

In short,it's the cumulative effect of 4oz here and 4 oz there that makes an 8 pound rifle , a 7 pound rifle....and so it goes.As you juggle, you can lose or gain weight anywhere from the action, or barrel,or stock , or scope and mounts.

Working with standard stuff like M70's and Rem 700's you have to pay more attention....but to me Kimbers are built right and balanced about perfectly as they come...I don't really care too much for a rifle that is very heavily weighted forward.They handle like railroad ties..

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/06/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lose some body weight. Cheaper and easier to do. If you lost only 4 ozs you wouldnt even notice. Lose a couple of lbs and it can be a game changer on the ascents/descents. My experience is only in the WV 4500 footers.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My last comment as this topic spirals downward is that while its fun to talk about rifle options, what is key is the total weight on your back, not just the rifle.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad

Weight: My first elk hunt was with archery in the wilderness. I packed in 62lbs with a smile on my face for 4.5 miles the crows path, probably 6.5 with the switchbacks. Elevation starting point was 8000, basecamp was 11500. My pack weighed 62lbs.

Yeah, I know nothing about mountain hunting living Montana... the photo below is 110lbs of elk and bone packed out on a solo Backpack trip in 2012 at age 51, and farther that 4.5 miles... 270 MT BTW.

Lecturing someone who has backpacked and climbed their entire life is, well, amusing...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brad, did you take the leash off before or after you shot him?
All kidding aside. Nice Bull!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker

Brad, did you take the leash off before or after you shot him?

Doesn't everyone tether a ranch animal before they shoot it?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Moses
Lose some body weight. Cheaper and easier to do. If you lost only 4 ozs you wouldnt even notice. Lose a couple of lbs and it can be a game changer on the ascents/descents. My experience is only in the WV 4500 footers.

I principle I agree. However, I always carry my rifle in my hands and the difference between carrying my Montana all day vs. a typical 7.5lb rifle is significant to me. Ounces add up in that case, just like they add up in the pack for back country hunts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "lose body weight" argument is a non sequitur. I really have no weight to lose, yet I'll ruthlessly pare weight away anywhere and everywhere I can.

BUT, there are intelligent ounces to lose and unintelligent ounces... the latter ounces are those lost to a performance detriment.

Primary examples:

Packs with compromised suspensions... this is the latest fad, and generally a pretty bad one. A decent suspension requires some weight. The added comfort of an extra pound+ of suspension doesn't translate directly to fatigue being heavier. In fact, and more to the point, the better suspension offsets its extra weight by less fatigue due to superior comfort and better ability to carry weight.

Rifles... The entire discussion on this thread is not about heavy or even midweight rifles... it's about LIGHTWEIGHT rifles (sub 6.75lb all-up). To me, the Kimber Montana 308 is right at the ragged edge of too light, and losing a few more ounces off an already incredibly light rifle could be viewed as a fools errand. At the end of the day a rifle has to settle-down for the shot. Further lightening an already light rifle, and that at a substantial price, decreases its performance in my view.

So, long way to say, not all ounces are created equal... in some areas, added ounces can even be advantageous.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The "lose body weight" argument is a non sequitur. I really have no weight to lose.....

Could be, his post wasn't directed at you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
The "lose body weight" argument is a non sequitur. I really have no weight to lose.....

Could be, his post wasn't directed at you.

I didn't take it as directed at me. I just used the sentence as a jumping off point to bring up a larger issue.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good Post, Brad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Billy. I believe it to be true, at least in my experience.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
...So, long way to say, not all ounces are created equal... in some areas, added ounces can even be advantageous.

A few ounces in the center of the rifles mass are not even the same as a few ounces at the end of the barrel for the purpose of steadying for a shot. Just like a long stabilizer on a bow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
...So, long way to say, not all ounces are created equal... in some areas, added ounces can even be advantageous.

A few ounces in the center of the rifles mass are not even the same as a few ounces at the end of the barrel for the purpose of steadying for a shot. Just like a long stabilizer on a bow.

To a point, I don't disagree... but you sound like a rabbi dissecting the Torah... I'm talking in general terms. Ounces in the center mass of a rifle still DO help settle it down and do translate in recoil absorbing mass.

If you truly believed the above, you would have opted for a 7-08 over your 338 Fed, as the 7-08 has several ounces more barrel weight... or better yet, even a 223! laugh

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you truly believed the above, you would have opted for a 7-08 over your 338 Fed, as the 7-08 has several ounces more barrel weight... or better yet, even a 223! laugh

Blasphemy!! grin

(My Montana did start out life as a 7-08. It's better now!)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old Grouse hunters have an often repeated line. "Legs kill more Grouse than any particular shotgun." I expect it also applies to mountain hunts for BG.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
Blasphemy!

Spoken like a real Rabbi grin

Kidding aside, the 338 Fed is a great round, and I had no idea yours started as a 7-08!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im a big Kimber fan though i dont mountain hunt, knees cant handle that county though ild love too.....im a fan of the Kimber cause i like having the rifle off my shoulder and in my hands inthe broken country i hunt in the east end of the Breaks.....extra pound of weight in a pack and most of us wouldnt notice(hard core back pack hunters aside), extra pound on slung on the shoulder and we would all notice but for the most part wouldnt slow any of us down.....extra pound in the hand means a hell of alot and everyone notices....

but as Brad said take the weight off in the wrong place on the rifle and it does more harm than good....prolly why i love my Montana in 260 so much, has a lil more meat in the barrel than the 308 to put the balance just a bit farther forward....

Last edited by rattler; 04/06/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 18 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,142
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.