Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thought you guys out east might enjoy a few photos of Oregon. To make it legit, I included a Savage 99 in 284. smile
A pleasant day with my wife the photographer, friend John(cowboy hat) and his disabled son Chris. Chris is homebound so this trip was all about him. He shot a 30/30, drove dad's quad, hunted bears, ate hot soup off the camp stove on a cold day. He was grinning the entire day! We all love that kid (he's 25, so not really a kid)

We did chase one good bear John spotted, but more an exercise to learn his haunt than any hope of seeing him again this day. We'll be back after this bear. Chris got to share the excitement of the hunt just the same.

Towards the end of the day we wanted to do a little shooting, so we all took turns with the wifes 16" 30/30, the 38 Super, and we each fired our big guns. John shoots a 7 mag, I shot the 99F 284. Except for the 30/30 and Super, we fired 425 yards at the soup cans leftover from lunch. Don't let anyone tell you a Savage 99 isn't any good for long range. wink
John cheated with his first shot and blew gravel all over one can, knocking it over. Thinking he slayed it, we were high fiving, laughs all around. Then I tried, and got darn lucky on my first shot with a direct hit, sending the can 30' in the air. We all laughed like little girls, like only guys that hit beyond their ability do!!! grin grin Chris fired lots in the 30/30 with some light loads I cooked up with Speer Plinkers, even connecting himself on a water bottle at about 60 yards. His muscle control is poor due to his disability, so this was a great shot and again high fives all around.
In one photo, you'll see that you never know what you might find stashed in the mountains. wink

Anyway, all the best to you Savage cranks from Oregon, enjoy the photos from my wife.

Unloading for the day-

[Linked Image]

Chris, John, and I

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first green grass of the year-

[Linked Image]

Here's where we found the only bear we saw today-

[Linked Image]

We did a lot of stopping along the way to get photos of everything you notice on the spring hunts that your senses have been deprived of all winter!

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/Weather223/April5bearhunt030_zps39ee5a45.jpg[/img]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We wanted to stop and try our hand at some longer shooting. The trail you see just over Johns black hat is a dead end track and is 425 yards away. We set up some soup cans for targets.

[Linked Image]

Getting the 284 ready. Bipod too short, went with sticks instead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The unlucky can grin grin

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty sure I know how this got up in the mountains, but I wouldn't mind knowing why.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/06/14.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
All in all, what a great day. Made all the more special by my wife and Christopher going along. Hope you guys see grass sometime before June up there in the NE! grin

Shoot straight.

* Special thanks to Rory/Calhoun and more guys than I can remember for getting this 284 going with reloading supplies, advice, loads, bullet choices, etc. Even now Mike/Lightfoot is helping me understand tightening up the rotor spring to aid in cycling. All the goods including the scope, bullets, brass and dies came from fire members. You have no idea how thankful I am!!! It's a shooter, just what I need for these ranges, and I couldn't have pulled it off w/o all the help I got here.

Last edited by Fireball2; 04/06/14.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A 30 second or so video Rebeca put together.

http://www.magisto.com/album/video/MzUgVkFABFAgJTgHDmEwCXh_

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks like lots of fun was had by all. Not much snow here now, but still looking for the first green grass and birds.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonderful!! Not much better time than spending it outdoors with family and friends. Looks like all had a good time. Jealous here.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What a great day! That's a preetty accurate levergun at 425 yds!! Poor can never had a chance.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been stretching out my range a bit. Prepping for a trip to MT/WY in October. I'm sure I'd be better with hand loads, but I don't have time to set up a reloading station, though XCIX left me all the goods NIB, learn how to do it, then do it, then work loads etc..... Corelokts doing the job, using the 308 EG. Popping 4" balloons @ 300. The next 100 yards gonna be interesting.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Roy,
That looks like a blast.
It ain't all about the harvesting.... cool
And yes, the boat does look a bit out of place..... crazy

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
looks like Chris had a ball good on you guys for doing that.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Therein lies a tale of a day well spent. Thanks for sharing, Roy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like a fine spring day! still 2 ft. of snow here but bare spots here and there! Roy in the 6th pic down lower rt. conner looks like a face in the river to me. owner of the boat? Thanks for the pics!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry if I bore you guys with this stuff. I call the Savage forum home so you guys get more than you bargained for sometimes. grin Just appreciate all of you.

The rifle is a 99F. New to me, so I relied on a lot of advice from the forums to get it going. The load that shoots so well is a Speer 145 grain SPBT over 57 gr. H4831SC. The 284 in a short action requires a pretty stubby bullet, and the guys on some of the other forums recommended the Speer for it's good .502 BC and compatibility with the 284. Don't know how it performs on game yet, but it flies well. This may be the right 99 for long range. Bout the best you can do in a short action from the factory. Except there's always the 6.5/284. That's one that may need building. smile

I think Savage made the most of their 99 with this cartridge.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlering
Looks like a fine spring day! still 2 ft. of snow here but bare spots here and there! Roy in the 6th pic down lower rt. conner looks like a face in the river to me. owner of the boat? Thanks for the pics!

Little early in the day to be hittin' the sauce hey John?!! laugh laugh

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice Roy, looks like you guys had a great day.. 60 degrees here as I write. bout time.
looks likes a good wheeler ride their too.
thanks for the 284 recipe I'll give it a try

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice Roy, looks like you guys had a great day.. 60 degrees here as I write. bout time.
looks likes a good wheeler ride their too.
thanks for the 284 recipe I'll give it a try

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the Savage forum, so lets have a look at that 284....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
there was a 25-284 at the gun show this week end but I did not have the coin .

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty garden variety for this place, almost as bad as a tomato stake, some might say worse. I like the way it shoots though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/Weather223/284001_zps5d82a803.jpg[/img]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty nice gun.

Someday it'll be worth somethin...... laugh

Just pullin ur leg Roy. wink

I like it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 257_X_50, 48 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.