Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i have some ocean front property to sell.........

You could probably sell it to ringworm. He's a fool just like you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might want to be careful with that.

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, �You fool!� will be liable to the hell of fire."

Or for those who prefer the King James language:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I once heard the gospel presented this way, a bit of a joke but very true.

A good, upstanding, church going brother died and found himself floating toward the pearly gates. He was thinking this is awesome, I finally get to go to heaven. Right before he goes through the gate St. Peter tells him that he first must take a test and make at least 100 points on it otherwise he will be needing a pair of asbestos drawers. St. Peter asks our friend to state everything he had done in life that merited his access to heaven. HE thinks it will be a piece of cake because he lived a good life, went to church, and did some good things.

So he begins by saying "I went to church my whole life" St. Peter says great that's one point. A bit surprised, he adds "I tithed on every dollar I ever made". St. Peter says another point for you. The prospect is now starting to get a little nervous. He says "well, I never cheated on my wife and was a good father". Peter says awesome, you get two points this time, got anything else? Terrified the brother says "I taught Sunday school a couple of years". Peter says another point, you have five so far, anything else? He then cries out "all my best works have earned me only 5 points and I need 100 otherwise I am going to hell OH GOD HAVE MERCY ON ME!

Peter says that's 300 points, congratulations, welcome to heaven.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
laugh laugh laugh

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Well said Jim.

One more question for those who "don't believe" or maybe still have a little doubt about the Christian thing. Let's say that Ringman, myself, Jim, Doc, and the millions of others in the world and on the Fire who not only believe in the God [the demons do that much....and "shudder"], but serve Him our entire lives. Let's say you [non believer] spend your entire life not believing, serving, and even putting down those who do. In the end, let's say you are right and we are wrong. What do WE have to lose? All we have done is lived the best life ever...a clean life...a life of fellowship with others, faith beyond ourselves, etc etc. But what if we are right and you are wrong? What do you have to lose?

Last edited by Asphaltangel; 04/09/14.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There are biblical references to fools throughout. Just a few:

Proverbs 29:11 - A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise [man] keepeth it in till afterwards.

Proverbs 18:2 - A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.

Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 10:14 - Wise [men] lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish [is] near destruction.

Ecclesiastes 7:9 - Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.

Proverbs 14:15 - The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going.

Psalms 14:1-4 - The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Asphaltangel

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

Well said Jim.

One more question for those who "don't believe" or maybe still have a little doubt about the Christian thing. Let's say that Ringman, myself, Jim, Doc, and the millions of others in the world and on the Fire who not only believe in the God [the demons do that much....and "shudder"], but serve Him our entire lives. Let's say you [non believer] spend your entire life not believing, serving, and even putting down those who do. In the end, let's say you are right and we are wrong. What do WE have to lose? All we have done is lived the best life ever...a clean life...a life of fellowship with others, faith beyond ourselves, etc etc. But what if we are right and you are wrong? What do you have to lose?

Pascal's wager again eh? What if the Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. are right? You'd have to follow every religion there is if you're going to hedge your bets. Besides, you either believe or you don't. A person can't force themselves to believe "just in case" and what would God think about the "what have we got to lose crowd anyway?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ghost and gobblins.BRING ME PROOF

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by srwshooter
ghost and gobblins.BRING ME PROOF

Look in the mirror!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always an interesting topic and one I still struggle with, faith, belief, devotion, acceptance. I was raised and baptized in a Baptist church. But as time past and logical thinking developed I struggled to accept all I had been taught. I still believe in God, but a kind God, not the one described here as having great anger and vengeance against those that have not accepted Jesus. I feel God's presence in the woods and mountains, I talk to him there, but I do not find him in church so I no longer go. I guess I have belief but not faith. My cousin lost her 8 year old son to brain cancer last month. She has faith I can only dream of. Belief in Heaven, yes, I want to see my father and mother, family and friends again. If entry into Heaven is only by acceptance of His gift, not how you lived your life, logic tells me some evil people all their lives could accept the gift on their final day and enter Heaven. I do not want to see Hitler there. I will continue to work through this as I suppose we all must. It does not weigh heavy on my mind, one day it might. Of this I am certain, religious extremes of all types lead to hate and fear, not Heaven.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Well said Jim.

It's the 'Christians' that think non-believers can't and don't live the best life ever, a clean life of fellowship with others that cracks me up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Peculiar that it always gets you so worked up.

Do you understand why?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the very least God's gift is life...

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, I'm not a fan of elitists.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 54Woody
Always an interesting topic and one I still struggle with, faith, belief, devotion, acceptance. I was raised and baptized in a Baptist church. But as time past and logical thinking developed I struggled to accept all I had been taught. I still believe in God, but a kind God, not the one described here as having great anger and vengeance against those that have not accepted Jesus. I feel God's presence in the woods and mountains, I talk to him there, but I do not find him in church so I no longer go. I guess I have belief but not faith. My cousin lost her 8 year old son to brain cancer last month. She has faith I can only dream of. Belief in Heaven, yes, I want to see my father and mother, family and friends again. If entry into Heaven is only by acceptance of His gift, not how you lived your life, logic tells me some evil people all their lives could accept the gift on their final day and enter Heaven. I do not want to see Hitler there. I will continue to work through this as I suppose we all must. It does not weigh heavy on my mind, one day it might. Of this I am certain, religious extremes of all types lead to hate and fear, not Heaven.

As you stated it, if Hitler was saved on his final day he will certainly be in heaven. Christ was the perfect sacrifice and was sufficient for all sin past, present and future...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If entry into Heaven is only by acceptance of His gift, not how you lived your life, logic tells me some evil people all their lives could accept the gift on their final day and enter Heaven. I do not want to see Hitler there.

Quite possible some seemingly "bad" people might sneak in at the last minute. One of the thieves crucified next to Jesus got in at the last minute, but I seriously doubt Hitler will make it..

It's a gift, take it or leave it. It's not up to us to set the parameters of a gift freely given.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Setting aside the subjective premise of a "clean life", Asphaltangel does bring up an interesting point.

If an atheist is wrong, he's screwed in the afterlife. If the atheist is right.... he's still screwed.

Personally I'd rather go down swinging than take that called third strike.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by billhilly

Well said Jim.

Pascal's wager again eh? What if the Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. are right? You'd have to follow every religion there is if you're going to hedge your bets. Besides, you either believe or you don't. A person can't force themselves to believe "just in case" and what would God think about the "what have we got to lose crowd anyway?

I think you may have misunderstood where I am coming from in the post. The "what do you have to lose" question is a sincere question, and the answer is your soul and everlasting life ...living forever in the presence of Jesus and all our loved ones who have gone before us that have also given their hearts to Jesus.

There is a big difference between Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and Christians. Christians base their faith on God's infallible word. Christians serve a living God that rose from the dead and we have the privilege of having a personal and vital relationship with God. All other religions serve a dead god. What will God think when you stand before Him and He asks why didn't you accept my free gift of salvation? Whatever it takes my friend. Eternity is a long time.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep, I'm not a fan of elitists.

The pious types put me off too.

But they're a decided minority.

Old school Christians don't wear it on their sleeves.

It's just something that's always been a part of them that they don't bother flashing,...like a fingerprint

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
If entry into Heaven is only by acceptance of His gift, not how you lived your life, logic tells me some evil people all their lives could accept the gift on their final day and enter Heaven. I do not want to see Hitler there.

Quite possible some seemingly "bad" people might sneak in at the last minute. One of the thieves crucified next to Jesus got in at the last minute, but I seriously doubt Hitler will make it..

It's a gift, take it or leave it. It's not up to us to set the parameters of a gift freely given.
King David did some pretty evil things, and it's a matter of faith that he ended up acceptable to God.

Page 8 of 24 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.