-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right now, Alaska-Yukon moose are my favorite animal to hunt, just something about glassing for big bulls on a chilly Sept day that brings a smile to my face.

When it comes to game meat, dall sheep wins that category hands down, dalls are the best eating game meat in NA IMO.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
roundoak, I agree with you. There is nothing to get blood flowing like great mule deer country. Wonderful! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tie between elk and mule deer.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like hunting all of them.
The seasons determine my favorite.
That said, it's hard to beat Big Mule deer.[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Big deer and big antelope!!!!

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Elk with a someday moose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't hunted the wide array of game that some have, but when it comes down to those that I've hunted, there's no way that I could choose just one as a favorite. I love to hunt antelope, being able to choose from dozens of bucks and see game all day long is fun. Elk are a blast, whether it is an archery hunt during the rut in the Breaks or a late season hunt in the mountains, I really enjoy the whole process. WT and MD are a lot of fun, archery hunting for a velvet buck or hunting our five week rifle season, I'll never tire of looking for a big deer. Bears are fun, but I've shot enough that I do it more for fun than as a serious endeavor. Which isn't to say that I don't get pretty wound up when I see one that I want. I hope to one day be able to hunt some of the other stuff that's out there. For now I'm kept pretty busy just trying to shoot stuff in MT, WY, and ND. A big caribou and a moose are on the short list of stuff that I need to kill sooner than later. The more I think about it, the more I realize that there's no way that I'll ever have a favorite animal to hunt. It's the hunt itself that I enjoy more than anything else.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
When I was young and lived in the East and then the mid west it was mallards and whitetails with a bow. Today I live on the left coast and have found that's there is nothing like chasing big stinky old bull elk in the fall through the beautiful high country of AZ,Montana,NM,CO NV and Utah.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've only hunted Elk, mule deer, whitetail and hogs but Elk is my absolute favorite.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of my big game hunting has been white-tail deer and black bears in Michigan. I like hunting deer, but black bear are my passion. The bears are more interesting, the weather nicer, and I have a longer season.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Without question and for quite some time now, it's been Coues whitetail deer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BIG whitetail.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have hunted whitetails, elk, black bear, and caribou. Killed many, MANY deer and 2 'bou. Have yet to get my first elk or bear. Would like to get a moose someday. One big problem with elk, 'bou, and moose is the expense. Hunting any of those is for the most part out of reach for me financially. The times I hunted elk, I loved the comaraderie of the camp more than the ceaseless hoofing in steep country, which I can no longer do. If I ever do get an elk or moose, I will have to hire it hauled out. Just getting there and back is probably more than I can handle now, unless I can ride in a vehicle.

I have to say my favorite is whitetails. I can hunt them out my back door on my own property. My young, strong sons helps me pack them out. Nowadays I hunt a lot with my wife, which we both love a lot.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Desert Bighorns then speed goats

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Maverick940

I've never seen a Coues, but I know there are a lot of aficionados.

What is it that makes Coues a favorite?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoyed my coastal black bear hunt. I like shooting wild hogs as well. Like coyotes, no season, no limit, and they get big.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

I've never seen a Coues, but I know there are a lot of aficionados.

What is it that makes Coues a favorite?

The remoteness. The terrain. The weather. The wariness of a whitetail buck that's pursued on a daily basis by mountain lions, the occasional jaguar, the occasional red wolf, coyotes, bobcats, black bears and humans. The difficulty of trying to even see an animal that's so incredibly camouflaged. And the allure of chasing specific older age-class bucks that are virtually unseen, in an ecosystem that's beyond challenging. Not to mention how petite and beautiful they are.

Used to be that Dall sheep were my favorite big game animal to pursue. That was the case for about 15 years or so. Now it's Coues whitetail deer and that's been the case for about 20 years or so. Currently, second place belongs to mountain goats and older age-class brown/grizzly bears. Dall sheep have fallen to fourth place, behind desert bighorn sheep and California bighorn sheep (tied in third place). Older age-class mule deer -- Sonoran, Rocky Mountain and Pacific (sub-species) -- are tied in fifth place.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I thought for sure you were going to say Russian women. wink

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
I like hunting all of them.
The seasons determine my favorite.
That said, it's hard to beat Big Mule deer.[Linked Image]

That's what I'm talking' about. Niiiice!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
What is your favorite North America big game animal to hunt and why?

Axis
More bang for the buck. grin

Public hunt Texas Whitetails are hardly worth the effort.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,546
Posts18,472,944
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.