Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Where I live, a 50mm scope is a sure sign of a novice hunter. High, see-through mounts remove all doubt.

Bingo...............

So when you see me carrying my M70 with its Weaver K3, it will be obvious that I'm the reincarnation of Daniel Boone?

Funny how we are so quick to judge others.

Agreed, it is a gross generalization and not true 100% of the time. That said, I firmly believe that it is true MOST of the time. JME.....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FC363
Originally Posted by rembo
You have to mount them higher messing with cheek weld.

Cheek weld means nothing when you have an Adjustable Objective that is adjusted properly.

What??

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Cheek weld means nothing when you have an Adjustable Objective that is adjusted properly.

What??

2muchgun,...I agree...WHAT??

I can't wait to hear what proper eye position which comes from proper cheek weld has to do with the AO....:-)

This is going to be good.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'm all ears myself.

Bet he has see-thru rings too grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What??

2muchgun,...I agree...WHAT??

I can't wait to hear what proper eye position which comes from proper cheek weld has to do with the AO....:-)

This is going to be good.

When you adjust all the parallax out, it doesn't matter where your eye is. If you knew what an AO was for, and how it was used, you wouldn't have to ask such a dumazz question. You were an idiot 6 years ago when I put you on ignore, and you're still an idiot. Come back when you're 12..........

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

When you adjust all the parallax out, it doesn't matter where your eye is. If you knew what an AO was for, and how it was used, you wouldn't have to ask such a dumazz question. You were an idiot 6 years ago when I put you on ignore, and you're still an idiot. Come back when you're 12..........

Except for the little fact that poor cheek weld results in difficulty returning one's head to the same position every time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't have to be in the same position when parallax is adjusted out, which is the whole point. Get a clue.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lots of competitive shooters using rifles set up with poor cheek weld, said no one ever.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have parallax adjustable scopes in a variety of sizes, up to 56mm. I still find it easier to shoot well with a low mounted scope. A high, floating head position does nothing good for the consistency of my hold and therefore the consistency of my shooting.

The really high scope mounting seen on benchrest rifles isn't relevant here. Such rifles are built with stocks that track on the bags during recoil, and the shooters barely touch the rifles compared to how a typical hunting rifle is handled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obviously you don't shoot Benchrest Prairie Goat.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Adjustable stocks for check weld solves that issue.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's ironic that hunters want compact binoculars and oversized scopes. I have neither.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Which is totally phugging different, as the whole point there is minimizing one's influence on the rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I have parallax adjustable scopes in a variety of sizes, up to 56mm. I still find it easier to shoot well with a low mounted scope. A high, floating head position does nothing good for the consistency of my hold and therefore the consistency of my shooting.

The really high scope mounting seen on benchrest rifles isn't relevant here. Such rifles are built with stocks that track on the bags during recoil, and the shooters barely touch the rifles compared to how a typical hunting rifle is handled.

Which is exactly what I was getting at. Good cheek weld is an important component of good shooting, and having a scope mounted out in space isn't going to help things.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Which is totally phugging different, as the whole point there is minimizing one's influence on the rifle.

And that is the whole point of eliminating parallax with an Adjustable Objective, to minimize the effect of an improper cheek weld.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That eliminates the optical effect, but not the physical effect on the hold on the rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475

Adjustable stocks for check weld solves that issue.

Or you could just mount the scope down where it's supposed to be. Most of us don't want the added weight of an adjustable cheekpiece on our NULAs. grin

At least manufacturers are figuring out that the vast majority of folks are going to mount scopes and not use open sights, and are designing their stocks with higher combs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
That eliminates the optical effect, but not the physical effect on the hold on the rifle.

Yep.

Haven't seen a lot of Olympic Biathlon shooters competing with Winchester featherweight style stocks lately. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't see them with scopes either.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So what? They are still using stocks setup for proper cheek weld.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.