Campfire Member
Is that a lucky or unlucky miss?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Head shot? Yep, that's what I woulda done.

His explanation of why he shot it in the eye due to being an instinctive shooter was pretty funny.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Geez

I shoot at 60 all year so I'm good at 30. I killed a deer in Alabama last year at 47 and 50 is my absolute max for deer. I've shot 55+ on elk, but that is just shy of my elk threshold

Dang, I've seen stuff on a 30 yard shot that makes killing something with a bow seem like voodoo. 100yards? No way.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
rangefinders take one heck of a lot of selfcontrol only you or I have it.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Iirc, in the book "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope, he and Arthur Young took many game animals at 80 yards or more with rather crude weapons compared to the much faster equipment used today.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
Iirc, in the book "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope, he and Arthur Young took many game animals at 80 yards or more with rather crude weapons compared to the much faster equipment used today.

The fact others have done it doesn't make it a good idea

I feel certain they didn't write much about the ones they wounded and lost

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I recall reading an account of a long shot like this by Howard Hill. IIRC, at least the first arrow and possibly the first two, missed clean.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Having the ability to hit something at 100 yards is only a fraction of the equation. A lot of time passes between the time the arrow is released and it reaches the 100 yard mark. During that time, the hunter has absolutely zero control over what takes place. That's a gamble; pure and simple. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest with himself.

This. There's a big difference between shooting something that can take a few steps before the arrow gets there or shooting a piece of foam.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Nobody has mentioned that it was also a down hill shot? so what pin would one use?

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is a pro shooter in our area. I hear stories every year about his killing stuff at long range. I believe he killed a moose at 100yds or so. That being said, the guy has been shooting all his life, shoots everyday, shoots pro, and has a bow setup for those shots. The problem is, every redneck in town follows him around like a whipped pup and they think they can make those shots too, but they can't.

One of his followers took an 80yd shot on a mulie a couple years ago. Shot it right in the ass. He got lucky and they found it later, but if you talk to him it was a spot and stalk hunt worthy of being recognized in Pope and Young.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
My thoughts?

About what I think of 1000 yard gunshots of game.

I like JJHack's (I think)quote. - "there are 100 things that can happen at long range. and 99 are bad"

BUT define long range...... the abilities are out there, but gun and bow and everything in between.

A LOT of it will depend on conditions and alertness of game.....

Walk a mile in my shoes applies to much of this.

And bottom line if you are worried about wounding... more game is wounded at distances under 200 yards with rifles, than anything else, by simply incompetent weekend warrriors.....

Not that the above evens anything out or makes anything right.

Me.... I shoot 15 steps and less with my bows. Accuracy wise when I was shooting bows enough, hitting an orange or softball size target at 100 yards, was only about gettting the distance correct. And dealing with wind.... the shot process or ability only takes dedication.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
My limit is about half that, although I do shoot at 60 and 70 all summer. However, if Tim Wells was shooting at me from 100 yards, I wouldn't expect to walk away. I don't know how he does it, shooting fingers and all, but he makes some incredible shots.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My opinion on long range archery shots (60to100yards) is that it is a mix of the shooter, the bow setup, and the conditions(wind), but mostly the shooter.

Hear is some background on my opinion. I have been shooting competition archery for over ten years(I'm 21) I have owned about ten different bows both hunting and competition. I am by no means a expert I have only taken one deer with a bow every thing else was with a rifle, but I shoot a lot of arrows a year not just at 20 or 30 yards but out to 100 yards. If you practice at longer range have good gear and the condition are in your favor, as long as you are a good shot it up to you and only you from that point on. I know fellow archers who are capable of making shots out to 90yards and have sucsessfuly taking game ethically, but at same time I know others who should never shoot at game as big as a moose past 30yards. Most of it is the shooter, I'm not going to tell a archer that I don't know what they should or shouldn't shoot at I don't know what their abilitys are. But I am confident in what my abilitys are in what conditions I'm in and if the shot is not right I won't shoot no matter the range.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
For fun this is my set up

Hoyt Spyder turbo 70lb. 29in draw
Easton axis 340 with fusion vanes
Spott hog Hog-It 7pin
Limb driver pro V arrow rest
Fuse 7in. Blade stabe
Shuttle T-Lock broadheads 100gr.
Tight spot quiver
Stan shootoff! Release
Just got it sighted in last weekend out to 80yd and are ready for spring bear season. The 375 H&H is ready as well:)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well said AK.

A guide friend of mine shot a mule deer at 100 but the arrow bounced off a rock and then struck the deer.

It would take even more luck than that for me to hit anything much beyond 40 or 50. I can't slam dunk a basketball either but I sure won't tell anyone else they can't.

Good choice on the 375 H&H, you won't need it though.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't slam dunk a basketball either but I sure won't tell anyone else they can't.

I've seen lots of people miss dunks, and yet the basket never moves while they are on the way up

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The idiot did not deserve such a gorgeous ram!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practice to 80...max is 40.

Couldn't tell you the percentage of hunting that goes wrong from what is intentionally planned, but I can say that bowhunting magnifies this. Too much yardage on a bowhunting shot is asking fo mo trouble!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
40 yards is a long shot at live game with a bow, I don't care what kind of bow you use or how much you practice. I limit myself to 30 yards with my compound and 20 with longbow or recurve. A lot can happen while an arrow is on the way to the intended target over which the hunter has no control. 95 yards is unethical, period.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want to rephrase that. 95 yards is a very low-percentage shot. The question of ethics is another matter. If I am in a survival situation, I'm going to take the 95-yard shot.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.