Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Already published it some years ago--but that doesn't mean it's not time for another!

Which?

And yes, great idea, especially if there are new components, loads, etc. that weren't included in the other one.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 7x57 lives on because sons have seen their Dad's success w/the round and their sons...you get the picture. Not just on deer but sheep,big Mule deer, elk, moose and all north American game. It's ability will never die. A round that kills all out of proportion to it's size. It's never just enough but like more than adequate. My Dad's favorite, my favorite, and if my son gave a darn about hunting it would definitely be one that I would endorse to him. 7x57, 257, and 250-3000...three rounds that will never die. powdr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by powdr
7x57, 257, and 250-3000...three rounds that will never die. powdr
Amen, brother!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The 140 Ballistic Tip is a great bullet in the 7x57--kills quickly, shoots flat and accurately. But then almost any bullet works great in the 7x57, one of the cartridge's several virtues.

So, what do you like, John? 140s or 150s? Ingwe loaded up some 150s at 2500fps to lay siege to Texas. What would you consider a good all-around loading?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jstevens
The same goes for my favorite killer of coyotes, the .220 Swift.

Jim�is that you?

I guess it is. Do I know you from somewhere?

Last edited by jstevens; 04/14/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Jim�is that you?

Ingwe's twelve step program?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike

Jim�is that you?

Ingwe's twelve chug program?
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ingwe's twelve chug program?
grin [/quote]

Well, that 'splains it!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe should be stumbling on here pretty soon. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

They all work. If somebody believes in high velocity, 120-130 grain bullets will do the job. If they prefer tradition, 175's will also do the job.

Went through a period of using 156-160 grain bullets of various makes, mostly because in my present 7x57 they all land in the same place at 100 yards, when using the same powder charge. It was a handy way to compare bullet performance, especially when shooting lots of animals, as I was for a while on cull hunts in Africa. They all worked.

Right now I'm using 140 Sierra ProHunters at 2850 and 150 Partitions at 2750 from the same rifle. They shoot to the same place, so I just use the bullet that seems right for the job at hand.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

What's the popular drink on the other side of the Mississippi? Around our camp it's a good Tennessee whiskey.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
For me it's regular ol' tea.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks John. Jim Kobe has my Zastava to tweak a bit. With its 1:866 twist I'm sure it'll do what the heavies generally do. Ironically, all I plan to shoot with it is feral hogs, and probably no farther than 100 yards. But at least when it comes back, I can be shooting a South African warthog with it ... in my mind. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For me it's regular ol' tea.

Me too; although you have to be a true Son of the South to admit that you don't really like sweet tea...or grits without cheese.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Well,like my tea with sweet-n-low and never had grits. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
JB, you should do an updated article on the 7x57 with modern powders Like you did for the .264, Include Reloder17 and Ramshot Big game as they seem to be in the right burn rate to be real useful. All the data out and about seems to contain H414 and various 4350s but not AA4350 also....
P.S. any updated 7x57 article should also include extensive details about throat dimensions.....
In case you are wondering . I am still looking for a good setup for a rebarrel project wink

Last edited by wyoming260; 04/14/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
... never had grits. smile

How is that even possible?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wyoming260
JB, you should do an updated article on the 7x57 with modern powders Like you did for the .264, Include Reloder17 and Ramshot Big game as they seem to be in the right burn rate to be real useful. All the data out and about seems to contain H414 and various 4350s but not AA4350 also....
P.S. any updated 7x57 article should also include extensive details about throat dimensions.....
In case you are wondering . I am still looking for a good setup for a rebarrel project wink

^^^^This^^^^

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RevMike

What's the popular drink on the other side of the Mississippi? Around our camp it's a good Tennessee whiskey.

Right now it's a glass of Cote du Rhone with dinner, after that maybe some Laphroaig single malt or Buffalo Trace Bourbon. I like grits as well as sweet tea. I only drink water, milk, tea, coffee, all the rest of my drinks must have alcohol to be interesting.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 338Rules, 16penny, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,048
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.