Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So, could you answer my post above asking questions about how this all plays out, practically speaking?

Last edited by RobJordan; 04/14/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
There is a whole Libertarian Party...

The Libertarian Party is a bunch of minarchists (obviously they can't be anarchists if they're seeking political power) that used to be a whole lot more effective than they are now.

Back when they had candidates like Harry Browne, they actually had something to say. Harry Browne was the first Libertarian I ever really listened to. At the time I was a Dittohead, so I was astonished to see that Rush had been lying about libertarians. I wasn't ready to give up the conservative label yet, but the obvious dissonance between Browne's thoughtful, quiet, reasoned arguments and Rush's "long-haired dope-smoking maggot-infested FM types" accusation was probably the beginning of what became my present disgust for Rush.

But nowadays they've been running people like Bob Barr and Gary Johnson and have lost all credibility not only among anarchists but even among most minarchists.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Found this on the web. Very appropriate.

"Imagine a world where Sir Isaac Newton, after getting bonked in the head by an apple, proclaimed, �Gravity is the ENEMY!�

Imagine a world where, from that initial proclamation, legions of potentially highly constructive, productive beings devoted their lives (time) and resources to shouting down and vilifying the enemy, gravity. Imagine if those folks pursued the ultimate defeat of the force of gravity and its continuous imposition on our worldly experiences. What kind of person could actually construct a life that revolves around the faith that gravity can, and should, be defeated and eliminated? I don�t think it really takes any special characteristics beyond the pre-existing built-in human tendency to react to challenges to faith with blind outrage and definace, even in the face of reason which obviously exposes the futility of such wastes of the most precious resource any individual possesses, their time here on earth.

Fortunately, Newton did not paint gravity as the enemy�but as a force that exists in our reality that we can learn about and understand. Science then set about understanding gravity and it�s interactions with the rest of our experience.

Murray Rothbard on the other hand, after some metaphorical bonk on the head by consequences of government proclaimed THE STATE is the ENEMY! From that day forward his sycophants have wasted their potential trying to defeat that �enemy.� If Rothbard had been as wise as Newton, he would have recognized, as L.v. Mises had decades before, that the State is a force that exists in our reality as a consequence of the law of human action. It is a permanent, pervasive force that can be understood and dealt with through constructive human action to either amplify it�s effects or to dampen those effects. Rothbard�s faith that government was the enemy and could be defeated blinded him to the Misean view that government/bureaucracy exists as a result of the interactions of humans through the law of human action. As long as 2 or more individuals are vying for control of the same limited resources there will be government. In other words, always.

Mr. Rothbard was dead wrong and blind to it. Sadly, horrifyingly, his err has cost the defense of liberty dearly as an entire generation or more of potentially constructive political defenders of liberty have wasted their potential on shouting down a boogeyman. Many have devoted their resources and time to this futility politically by abandoning GOP into the hands of those whose driving motivation is to INCREASE the force of the state in an ever-accelerating manner. Abandoning the most powerful tool for limiting the growth of the state is an ridiculous strategy for the defense of liberty. Murray Rothbard was wrong about that, too.
The State is no more the enemy than is gravity.

The unlimited growth of the state is the enemy; just as unlimited growth of the force of gravity would spell doom, so to does the unlimited growth of the state.

Wasting decades fighting the wrong enemy is a burden Mr. Rothbard�s legacy will bear forever. In the long run I think it is likely his great economic thinking and wonderful writing style about vast topics will be overshadowed by his personal responsibility for the damage government has done to liberty for the past several decades and for many more to come."

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
People would do what they've always done. Band together for either strength or protection. Which in itself becomes some sort of government.

Seriously: you need to take some time and understand what you're talking about. I'm beginning to be embarrassed for you. You're not stupid, but you're making completely ridiculous arguments because you don't understand your terms.

Banding together for strength or protection is not a government.

Here's a good definition of government. A government is the entity enjoying a legitimized monopoly over the initiation of force in a given geographic region.

To have a government, you have to have initiation of force. The presence of the sort of retaliatory or defensive force your voluntary band of people would apply for protection is not enough to qualify as a government. Even if they were to preemptively invade or raid other groups, that wouldn't make them a government, because the other groups would grant them no legitimacy.

In order to be a government, one group of them would have to threaten or attack another group of them while a third group looked on approvingly--for example, the way the BLM attacked Bundy & Friends while lots of Campfire folks nodded and jabbered about how they deserved it.

But doing away completely with order and rule of law is stupid.

Again: you're way off base. Anarchists--ancaps, anyway--value order and law probably more than you do, which is why you're willing to let a government destroy them and we aren't.

Ansocs generally foresee a hopefully-limited period of bloodshed and violence while they appropriate for the collective all the property individuals have mistakenly assumed belongs to them; but even ansocs value order and law, although they expect it to look a little different from what you're used to.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
They are the same thing. When people band together their is a structure. Always is. How sophisticated it is varies, but it's always structured. With leadership positions and rules. And people who follow those rules.

Structure is not government. Leadership is not government. Rules are not government. Lawful people are not government.

Legitimized initiated force is government.

Doesn't fit the definition of anarchy. But I've been told I don't know what it is.

Good call.

IC B2

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
OK, let's try this. If it was so good why did it go away? Why does this supposed anarchy not take hold, anywhere, and thrive? How does it defend itself?

Actually, anarchism has served pretty well at various times in history; for example in Iceland (for longer than the US has been in existence) and, to a lesser extent in Ireland. There's a form of ordered anarchism in many prisons, and it continues to exist because A) it's impossible to completely eradicate it, and B) it can make life considerably more pleasant for everyone, prisoners and correctional officers alike. Anarchism in Somalia produced nearly the highest technology of any black-run African nation. The underground Polish legal system under Communism had significant anarchistic features.

But you have to have the right kind of people.

Americans, today, are not the right kind of people.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Here's a good definition of government. A government is the entity enjoying a legitimized monopoly over the initiation of force in a given geographic region.

To have a government, you have to have initiation of force. The presence of the sort of retaliatory or defensive force your voluntary band of people would apply for protection is not enough to qualify as a government. Even if they were to preemptively invade or raid other groups, that wouldn't make them a government, because the other groups would grant them no legitimacy.

In order to be a government, one group of them would have to threaten or attack another group of them while a third group looked on approvingly--for example, the way the BLM attacked Bundy & Friends while lots of Campfire folks nodded and jabbered about how they deserved it." Barak

Complete idiocy. Jeeze, where do we start to disentangle this confusion? If a group of people get together and agree upon a set of rules to govern the behavior of each and of the group and cede a portion of their natural sovereignty to that group on the basis of their belief that this arrangement (these rules) will best maximize their safety and happiness, that is government. It is based on the consent of the governed. Hence its legitimacy in origination, is consent based on natural equal rights, not force. This is the social contract theory of government (in a state of nature) upon which (in part) this nation was founded. Where in any of this is the "initiation of force" or any force at all?

You have to smuggle force into the definition of the inititaton of government (quite illegitimately) because anarcho-libertarians are compelled, by their utterly false originating assumptions and ideas that any modicum of government (even very limited) is evil. Not because such is actually the case, but because they are compelled to think that it is.

Of course, as the person I quoted above stated, the burden Rothbardian anarcho-libertarians will have to carry is the destructiveness of their misplaced idealism on libery, not any limitation on government they might otherwise have achieved, had they been rational. The whole enterprise is a giant fraud.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
OK, let's try this. If it was so good why did it go away? Why does this supposed anarchy not take hold, anywhere, and thrive? How does it defend itself?

Actually, anarchism has served pretty well at various times in history; for example in Iceland (for longer than the US has been in existence) and, to a lesser extent in Ireland. There's a form of ordered anarchism in many prisons, and it continues to exist because A) it's impossible to completely eradicate it, and B) it can make life considerably more pleasant for everyone, prisoners and correctional officers alike. Anarchism in Somalia produced nearly the highest technology of any black-run African nation. The underground Polish legal system under Communism had significant anarchistic features.

But you have to have the right kind of people. Americans, today, are not the right kind of people.

More utter bullshit. crazy Give us a relevant example---such as the modern industrial world---not some romantic, utopian, hunter-gatherer/nominally agrarian society of a thousand years ago living geographically largely isolated from the rest of humanity. And of course, if anarchism was working so well in these examples (as you claim) why in hell did they abandon it?

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've yet to see an Anarchist argument on how to address aggression. The whole premise of anarchy is based upon nonagression, which is not in the nature of man.

The ancap method for dealing with aggression is to spread it out so that it's really thin. Somebody gets out of hand in a free society, you get a couple of guys together and take him out back and have a word with him; suddenly he's back in hand. Or if he's not, maybe tomorrow morning he winds up stacked at the curb with your trash, and you can't buy your own beer for a week.

The statist method for dealing with aggression is to institutionalize it, concentrate it, amplify it, and tax the people to give it thugs and heavy weapons.

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wrong again. Man is.

A man, even a really aggressive man, operating on his own, can only kill a dozen or so people before folks begin to object and kill him back.

Governments, on the other hand, can kill over 200 million people in one century.

IC B3

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RobJordan
But this seems to be a trait peculiar to (or widely shared by) libertarians. No? Randians are the same way. The smugness, the cultish mindset. Its off-putting, to say the least.

Then go away.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've yet to see an Anarchist argument on how to address aggression. The whole premise of anarchy is based upon nonagression, which is not in the nature of man.

The ancap method for dealing with aggression is to spread it out so that it's really thin. Somebody gets out of hand in a free society, you get a couple of guys together and take him out back and have a word with him; suddenly he's back in hand. Or if he's not, maybe tomorrow morning he winds up stacked at the curb with your trash, and you can't buy your own beer for a week.

The statist method for dealing with aggression is to institutionalize it, concentrate it, amplify it, and tax the people to give it thugs and heavy weapons.

And who decides if someone has "gotten out of hand"? These enforcers will be so morally and judgmentally pure they will never err in deciding who is and is not guilty, right? wink What if he winds up "stacked on the curb (with your garbage)" not because he committed a crime, but because of a mob mentality devoid of rules (or a moral code). Where is the "liberty"---the "due process" in that???

And I notice your solution is to "spread it out (aggression) so its really thin". How do you propose to accompish that? Will People be told where they can and can't live so the "aggression" is "spread out"? What does this jargon mean, practically speaking? More pie-in-the-sky utopia with no real solutions or answers is what it means. Give us a real solution to how anarchy will "solve" the problem of societal violence---without any rules, no County Sheriff,
no prosecutors, no defense attorneys, no judges, no place to house the socio-paths, no courtroom (because all these things cost money and remember, their won't be any taxes to pay for it) and no rules of evidence. Please, do tell how such an anarchic "system" leads to a net increase in anyone's liberty, let alone an increase in their safety and happiness.

Let us concede that government is too powerful and has exceeded its rightful limits. The problem is that your "solutions" turn out to be no solutions at all.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But this seems to be a trait peculiar to (or widely shared by) libertarians. No? Randians are the same way. The smugness, the cultish mindset. Its off-putting, to say the least.

Then go away.

That attitude is why you are losing---and actually harming the true cause of liberty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doesn't address factions just individuals.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wrong again. Man is.

A man, even a really aggressive man, operating on his own, can only kill a dozen or so people before folks begin to object and kill him back.

Governments, on the other hand, can kill over 200 million people in one century.

Again, individuals against factions.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have read that and again all of his premises are based off of a complete lack of understanding human nature. Especially the whole concept of embracing nonagression. Mankind is aggressive at their core and in his nature. The anarchist rejects this fact.

He makes the argument that aggression comes primarily from the State but again ignores the fact that the State is a reflection of the nature of man. You can remove the State but you cannot remove man's nature, especially when it comes to aggression.

Are you sure you've read it? Because that's not what he says at all.

Yes, actually, it is exactly what he says. In the section of the book covering Problems.

He also offers no mechanism with which to address aggression. There isn't a mechanism in Anarchy. Sure, you can deal with an individual, but you cannot address aggression from factions.

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Found this on the web. Very appropriate.

"Imagine a world where Sir Isaac Newton, after getting bonked in the head by an apple, proclaimed, �Gravity is the ENEMY!�

Imagine a world where, from that initial proclamation, legions of potentially highly constructive, productive beings devoted their lives (time) and resources to shouting down and vilifying the enemy, gravity. Imagine if those folks pursued the ultimate defeat of the force of gravity and its continuous imposition on our worldly experiences. What kind of person could actually construct a life that revolves around the faith that gravity can, and should, be defeated and eliminated? I don�t think it really takes any special characteristics beyond the pre-existing built-in human tendency to react to challenges to faith with blind outrage and definace, even in the face of reason which obviously exposes the futility of such wastes of the most precious resource any individual possesses, their time here on earth.

Fortunately, Newton did not paint gravity as the enemy�but as a force that exists in our reality that we can learn about and understand. Science then set about understanding gravity and it�s interactions with the rest of our experience.

Murray Rothbard on the other hand, after some metaphorical bonk on the head by consequences of government proclaimed THE STATE is the ENEMY! From that day forward his sycophants have wasted their potential trying to defeat that �enemy.� If Rothbard had been as wise as Newton, he would have recognized, as L.v. Mises had decades before, that the State is a force that exists in our reality as a consequence of the law of human action. It is a permanent, pervasive force that can be understood and dealt with through constructive human action to either amplify it�s effects or to dampen those effects. Rothbard�s faith that government was the enemy and could be defeated blinded him to the Misean view that government/bureaucracy exists as a result of the interactions of humans through the law of human action. As long as 2 or more individuals are vying for control of the same limited resources there will be government. In other words, always.

Mr. Rothbard was dead wrong and blind to it. Sadly, horrifyingly, his err has cost the defense of liberty dearly as an entire generation or more of potentially constructive political defenders of liberty have wasted their potential on shouting down a boogeyman. Many have devoted their resources and time to this futility politically by abandoning GOP into the hands of those whose driving motivation is to INCREASE the force of the state in an ever-accelerating manner. Abandoning the most powerful tool for limiting the growth of the state is an ridiculous strategy for the defense of liberty. Murray Rothbard was wrong about that, too.
The State is no more the enemy than is gravity.

The unlimited growth of the state is the enemy; just as unlimited growth of the force of gravity would spell doom, so to does the unlimited growth of the state.

Wasting decades fighting the wrong enemy is a burden Mr. Rothbard�s legacy will bear forever. In the long run I think it is likely his great economic thinking and wonderful writing style about vast topics will be overshadowed by his personal responsibility for the damage government has done to liberty for the past several decades and for many more to come."
There's a lot that's valid about that piece, but Rothbard himself admitted that he didn't think a truly stateless society was possible. He illustrated his justification for aiming at one by calling to mind the way an archer aims his arrow at his target from a distance, i.e., the arrow is pointed much higher than the target he intends to hit.

His real goal, in other words, was to minimize the power of the state to the extent practicable, but realized that even the most successful efforts to reduce state power resulted in a mere decrease in the velocity with which the state increased in power. The only hope for actually reducing the power of the state, therefore (he concluded), was to shoot for its complete elimination.

In his case, then, anarchism was a mere strategy for reducing the power of the state, which is a goal agreed with by his predecessors in the Austrian School. It was a mere tactic, not an actual goal he expected was possible to achieve. So in actuality he was more of a pragmatist than most give him credit for being.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Then go away.

That attitude is why you are losing---and actually harming the true cause of liberty.

Jordan you gotta read the OP man. Saying that an anarchist is losing because he is "mean" (ie direct) is like asking when a masochist will relent from the pain.

That and the fact that it really is hard to judge accurately whether they're in fact losing. I mean, have you seen the share of people who actually actively participate in voting? One could argue (though I am not) that this suggests their loss is not as clear as you imply.

In point of fact, you'd get further at a good conversation w/ the OP if you focused less on style (ie "the way he comes across") and more on substance (ie content of the theory he espouses).

I think there is a lot to be said in favor of a good rational defense of these ideals without concern for photo-ops. That was something that connected me to Ron Paul.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Here's a good definition of government. A government is the entity enjoying a legitimized monopoly over the initiation of force in a given geographic region.

In order to be a government, one group of them would have to threaten or attack another group of them while a third group looked on approvingly--for example, the way the BLM attacked Bundy & Friends while lots of Campfire folks nodded and jabbered about how they deserved it." Barak

Complete idiocy. Jeeze, where do we start to disentangle this confusion? If a group of people get together and agree upon a set of rules to govern the behavior of each and of the group and cede a portion of their natural sovereignty to that group on the basis of their belief that this arrangement (these rules) will best maximize their safety and happiness, that is government. It is based on the consent of the governed. Hence its legitimacy in origination, is consent based on natural equal rights, not force. This is the social contract theory of government (in a state of nature) upon which (in part) this nation was founded. Where in any of this is the "initiation of force" or any force at all?

You have to smuggle force into the definition of the inititaton of government (quite illegitimately) because anarcho-libertarians are compelled, by their utterly false originating assumptions and ideas that any modicum of government (even very limited) is evil. Not because such is actually the case, but because they are compelled to think that it is.

Of course, as the person I quoted above stated, the burden Rothbardian anarcho-libertarians will have to carry is the destructiveness of their misplaced idealism on libery, not any limitation on government they might otherwise have achieved, had they been rational. The whole enterprise is a giant fraud.
Good post, Rob. But while Rothbardian anrarcho-libertarians may well possess misplaced idealism, as I indicated earlier, Rothbard himself was more of a pragmatist than he's generally given credit for.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Then go away.

RobJordan,

Please remember that Barak has taken the time to educate us and we must show proper respect, appreciation and reverence. Questioning him, engaging in discussion, holding views contrary to his�really, it is very poor form, bordering on impudence.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.