Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have recently acquired a Rem 660 Mohawk in .308 and would like to replace the factory "2x4" square stock with a slimmer and lightweight stock. I particularly like the look of laminated wood and have seen some photos online that are tagged "Lumberjocks by Hal Dougherty". Does anyone have any knowledge of these stocks or for that matter any other manufacturer's stock. I would like the end result to appear along the lines of a Winchester model 70 Featherweight with a schnable forend. Would also like to change the trigger to a Timney or TriggerBasics as been recommended previously. Also, a solid aluminum trigger guard in place of the factory plastic one! Any info, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DeanA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not exactly the same, but years ago I restocked a .308 600, same action, using Richard's Microfit Stocks in Sun Valley, CA, which is the LA area. I believe they're still in business. I still have the rifle and it's my most accurate medium bore. Just checked but I don't have a picture of it. I can take one if you're interested.

What I did was replace the barrel with a take-off from a 700. I bought it from Pac-Nor who sold it to me with a 'guarantee'. If it didn't shoot, or I didn't like it, they would replace. Barrel scoped out great and the rifle shoots well. Took second place in a 'hunting rifle' benchrest match at our club. Rifle weight and scope were restricted. Four 5 shot groups of hunting load ammo, smallest group wins overall, best aggregate second place. Small was .8" and a fraction and don't recall the ag, but the winner by far was my wife with a .243 and several .4" groups.

I replaced the trigger and trigger guard with those metal ones. A gun shop in Grand Junction,Colorado still had some a couple of years back quite reasonable.

I rebuilt the rifle when funds were limited. The inletted partially finished walnut stock I bought was a 'second'. It had a small void on the left side and a rosewood fore end. It was easy to fix with colored filler and looks pretty darned nice, and it was cheap! But it shoots exceptionally well.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lightweight and laminated are mutually exclusive terms...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sitka Deer, I understand what you are saying...laminated stocks are not necessarily lightweight! However, I do find them particularily attractive. Was originally thinking of lightweight synthetic but the better quality ones cost an arm and a leg here in Canada! Any ideas or suggestons are welcome.

DeanA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's an original Mohawk that's un-molested, sell it to someone who will keep it original and buy a Model 7.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think the 600-660 looks best in a light Mannlicher.

Just my 2 cents.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not true- laminating balsa with gorilla glue makes for a pretty light stock grin

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your looking for lightweight synthetic is the way to go. Not cheap but I was extremely happy with a Brown Precsion for my mohawk 243. I bought unfinished and did all the body work and paint myself. At some point I am going to have the metal work done in cerakote. Scoped and loaded the rifle is dead on 7lbs. About the same as my model seven the model seven feels lighter though. Had the mohawk not been a project gun my dad started and I finished for him I would of sold it and bought another model seven.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
To Mike7mm08....very nice! This is something similar to what I would like to end up with. To GunGeek, I also recognize the collector appreciation to keep it original. this is why I don't want to alter the original stock and keep it safe for future use. I will continue my search for either an attractive wood stock or go all in with a quality synthetic. Again your comments and suggestions are welcome.

DeanA
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
try looking at boyds stocks have bought 9 differant stocks from them never had a problem and was always very pleased with their stocks.

It is better to have it and not need it , than to
need it and not have it ( by master gunsmith & very wise friend )
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Boyds laminates are not even close to being light.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ramrod340
I think the 600-660 looks best in a light Mannlicher.

I think 600/660's look best on the used rack..................:-)

I give them a quick glance as I ask to see the Model Seven....:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,115
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.