Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
No, I'm more concerned about whether Nevada could survive without the federal government. It seems one of those very peculiar states where the question might be valid.

I mean their own state constitution swears an unswerving allegiance to the Federal government. I believe only 3 states have such a provision in their own constitutions.

That swearing was a result of the times. We were a sparsely populated territory with little to offer as a State, until the Civil War and the Union's need for our vast silver and gold wealth. We were rushed into the Union in 1864 as a result, thus our motto, "Battle Born".

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mean no offense by the question but could Nevada actually survive without the assistance of the Federal Government?

If it wasn't for the gaming they would only need a night watchman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tracks
I mean no offense by the question but could Nevada actually survive without the assistance of the Federal Government?

Las Vegas, yes, Reno not so much, and the rest of the State has a mining boom going on.

I wouldn't mind seeing the newcomers leave. whistle

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

What part of 'mineral royalties' do you not understand dumbfawk?

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
You might be the first member to ever accuse tracks of being dumb. I'm sure you could see the intended humor of his post.

luv2s...what's the water deal in your state?

Last edited by isaac; 04/15/14.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A "night watchman"...have you read Nozick?

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe
That's like asking if a dog could survive without ticks.

Winner, winner.....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks for the education gents.

I have a busy day tomorrow with taxes being due and all so I best call it a night.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Night night

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have fun snuggling with the yorkies

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might be the first member to ever accuse tracks of being dumb. .

Others might have if they paid attention.
In this case, considering the source, I regard it as an undeserved honor. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You might be the first member to ever accuse tracks of being dumb. .

Others might have if they paid attention.
In this case, considering the source, I regard it as an undeserved honor. grin

He's just repeating that because his daddy had bestowed that 'pet name' on him as a youngster, since that was all he ever heard... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

luv2s...what's the water deal in your state?

It varies quite a lot. I had Truckee River rights for my property and sold them far too soon (cheap). Water rights are doled out by the State's Div of Natural Resources, Water Rights Division of the State Engineer's Office.

As you might guess, we have a limited resource. Various basins here in the Great Basin have their own rules, depending on number of streams (we are very mountainous, but dry), springs, the few rivers (most would call them creeks) and underground aquifers.

Much of NV was once an inland sea, and we actually have decent groundwater resources.

Much of the exploitable surface water is grandfathered to ranching and some to mining. I was smart enough to acquire groundwater rights back when Truckee River water was abundant and over-allocated; I saw the lawsuits with the Pyramid Paiute Tribe coming. It was their water for Pyramid and now dry Winnemucca lake at the turn of the 20th century.

My rights were hard won and proved out. By law there is a limited time to place them to beneficial use. It starts with a State permit to use the water that spells out the total amount of water, the per-acre duty (amount one can use per acre per year), the flow rate, the point of diversion, and point of use. Engineering is necessary with maps, etc. Drillers drill per the dictates within a given permit, then we file the driller's log and description with maps by the engineer. Then we need to use the water, whether groundwater or underground, as prescribed by the permit as to flow rates and usage locations.

A permittee with an agricultural permit must show beneficial use of the water in his permit or lose it. We can grow crops or use it for livestock watering or production. We keep logs and meter readings to submit to the State Engineer for Proof of Beneficial Use. A State Engineer comes out and surveys what we've done and either OKs the PBU and vests us the water, or he issues his findings that we must correct after we get an extension for a year.

Once the PBU and water rights are approved, they belong to the person and are looked at as Personal Property, not real estate. Although appurtenant to certain land, they can be sold and moved to other places within the permitted basin in part or whole.

I have 56.5 acre-feet of well water and a 500' 10" well I irrigate from with a permitted flow rate of 200gal/minute; mine pumps 120/minute, actually.

If during the next five years, and any successive five years I don't use it fully during one full irrigation year I lose it.

As you can see, water is expensive and isn't to be taken lightly. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by fish head
Two words.

Vegas and Reno.

And the whore houses.

Guess that includes "Mustang Ranch." I once saw a bumper sticker on an older ladies car saying loud and clear "Our daughter was employee of the month at Mustang Ranch." Had to be a joke or else she was unaware.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
Nevada could easily survive. Just not the way they do now.

But I bet that's true for most states. And not in a bad way either. Would just be some growing pains while people learned to do without free crap.

Agreed Pira. Anchors would have a rough go.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Two words.

Vegas and Reno.

And the whore houses.

Guess that includes "Mustang Ranch." I once saw a bumper sticker on an older ladies car saying loud and clear "Our daughter was employee of the month at Mustang Ranch." Had to be a joke or else she was unaware.

What's interesting is that the IRS actually owned and operated the Mustang Ranch back when they seized it from Joe Conforte.

Last edited by Jocko_Slugshot; 04/15/14.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Two words.

Vegas and Reno.

And the whore houses.

What's interesting is that the IRS actually owned and operated the Mustang Ranch back when they seized it from Joe Conforte.

I ALMOST owned it!! I was at that auction to bid on some memorabilia. While they were auctioning off the ranch itself I saw a friend across the crowd and waived to him. I bid $2,500,000.00 for the ranch and caused Conforte's lawyer to have to bid higher. The fix was in for Conforte to buy it back through straw bidding by his attorney.

I was on all three national networks that night as they covered the auction. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-------------------------------------------------------------

And, they couldn't make that pay for itself either. .gov is definitely the worst bunch of business people around.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not aware of a lot of federal water in the state. There are water rights from the Colorado, which goes to Vegas, but as far as I know, it's our water. Northern Nv water, as far as I know, all comes from NV.
The areas without water just doesn't develop.
The feds own some 86% of the land in the state. that gives them some responsibility for some of the costs in the state. That's land that isn't productive for the residents.
If they paid property taxes at the rate of the residents, that would amount to a pile of money.
As to roads, the Feds fund Interstates in every state, with gas tax money. NV is a very large state, in area, and pretty low in population. A tremendous amount of freight is hauled through NV. Is it NV's problem to pay for highways for all the freight that crosses the state? Pretty hard to get anything to or from CA or Asia without crossing NV.
If NV was a country, we'd be the 3rd largest gold producing country in the world.
I think we would be better off if the feds left. It would put a lot of land to work, and we could charge tolls for freight crossing the state.
I feel like the feds need NV more than we need the feds.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
-------------------------------------------------------------

And, they couldn't make that pay for itself either. .gov is definitely the worst bunch of business people around.

The IRS actually lost money selling whisky and women. And they didn't have to pay taxes.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.