Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I need to figure to figure something out for this year. I cut about 3-4 acres and its taking too much time. I have a Honda 14hp twin with a 38" deck,and its a great little machine but just not fast enough. I'm considering a zero turn, or maybe just another tractor so me and the wife can both cut. Weekends are for fishing,shooting,hunting etc, not cutting grass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by Snyper
A 42" deck will generally have 2 blades that will give you a better cut than the 3 on most 48" decks, along with one less pulley/beariing assembly to wear out

Wheelhorse and older Sears SS 42" decks have 3 blades and give a much smoother cut over the twin blade 36-38" decks. With the extra blade, you can typically go a bit faster.

Been mowing over an acre for 30 years with a 1968 Sears SS12, 1969 Sears Suburban 12 and the past 3 years, a mid 80's vintage Wheelhorse, 14 horse. All with 42" decks.

Longer blade have higher tip speeds, and that's what cuts the grass Smaller blades move much slower

Reality is you can't look at most lawns and tell anything about how they were cut

There are just fewer parts on a two blade mower

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I bought a Sabre(by John Deere) in 1997 to mow my 1 acre yard. It has a 42" cut and a 16 HP Briggs. It still has the original drive belt and I changed the deck belt for the first time this year. I'm on my 4th battery now and the 3 of the 4 tires have tubes in them. I broke the key off in the ignition one time and had to replace it. Other than that it has been gas, oil, plugs and air filters. Not bad for a 17 year old mower!

Back when I spent a lot of time in equipment dealers' lots and showrooms, the JD Sabres (and the Scott's-branded mowers) impressed me with the amount of iron one got for the dollar: thick decks & heavy frames+axles. Dunno if they still make either one, but I'd certainly price one out against others in the "lawn tractor" segment. I always figured one would have to spend quite a bit more than those mowers, to really get more durability.

FC

Unfortunately they don't make the Sabre anymore and I think the Scott's brand is now made by someone else. I'd have to spend a lot more money on a mower today to match the quality of the Sabre.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by VOUScrasher
I am partial to MTD.

MTD actually builds many of the mowers in the US
The last MTD "Yardman" I owned was a POS with the absolute worst deck attachemnt design I've ever seen.

I ended up GIVING it away

probably thought up by a schmuck named ruger

Working for dad in office supply
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Cub Cadet. It was the next level above the box stores and I have been happy with it for the last 3 years. I don't have as much time on my mower as a bunch of others. Or as much land to cut (3/4acre). But besides a new battery and cleaning the plugs in the spring it has been flawless.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I mow 3/4 acre yard with a 44 inch Ferris I purchased about 10 years ago. It takes about 20 minutes. It is a zero but takes little time to learn to operate. A commercial mower will cost you about 5 grand. I have put a battery in mine and that's it. You get what you pay for. Good luck

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
The all have a common problem the Tuff Torque K46 transaxle, but with proper maintenance and allowing the trans to cool it is not a big deal, most people run them and grass fills in the cooling sinks and the trans over heats. I bought a Husquvarna 22V46, with the Briggs, I talked to a couple of shops and about the Briggs vs the Kohler, and the both said they see the same amount of problems with both, just be sure to get a v twin. So far I have about 6 hrs on my mower, and love it. The 46 is a only two blades as well.

This. I have a Deere that has the crappy K46. The mower looks new and the transaxle is shot. Mine has a single cylinder Kohler and I have had no trouble with it at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad Wheelhorse lawn tractors are no longer made. Pulled a car out of a snowbank with a 10hp model.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had my 1st Simplicity for 22 years before I was in need for a new mower. I was mowing just under 1/2 acre. I looked at Cub Cadets and John Deeres. I told the John Deere Dealer my last mower lasted 22 years and asked how long I could expect one of the John Deere series 100's (the 300 Series were more than I wanted to spend) to last if taken care of. He said typically if someone gets 10 years out of one, they consider it good. Decided to stick with another Simplicity. Have had no regrets. They are good mowers.

3825 24336
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a JD 300 and it's a POS! No power, two blades and leaves rows so I have to double cut. I have a hill in the back the Deere can't make up while cutting. I'll take a three balded mower over a two blade any day. Best mower I had was a 16 HP 3 blade Bolens, after beating the chit out of it for 20 years I gave it to a friend and bought the present JD, the Bolens is still running strong. The Bolens made today I think are made by MTD and not the same.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had my JD LX 172 14 HP, 38" cut mower for 17 years. I bought it used when it was about 3 years old. Kawasaki engine has never given me a day of trouble.

This weekend I am replacing a belt tensioner pulley/bearings. First real issue I have had since I owned the machine. I think it's pretty cool that I can walk into a local JD dealer and buy parts for a 20+ year old mower (of course the parts ain't cheap either).

Replacement for a similar mower with the Kaw engine is $3K

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Multi purpose mower.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.