Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Fast waitress and a slow hand behind the bar. That's what you look for.

And hopefully some hand sanitizer.

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/17/14.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Youngest son and DIL work at a local (non-chain) restaurant and tell tipping horror stories all the time. There's a certain demographic notorious for demanding a "free-ride". The majority are constantly exploring angles to obtain their meal gratis ... "you got it wrong" ... "The steak's overcooked" ... etc. Management usually comps the meal because they want to avoid escalating the confrontation ... which is almost a certainty if they don't get comp'ed. Even after getting their $75 meal comp'ed, they will leave $1 or nothing on the table for a tip.

SBH is undoubtedly a member of this demographic ... Liberal Obama-voters!

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
everyone should work in food service at least once in their lives. tip 20% for good service or stay home. leave the gizmos for the geeks.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Think about it this way with the gizmos.. Do you really want some minimum wage server walking off with your credit card? I'm sure the restaurants are figuring out that a good deal of fraud (stealing numbers with the code on the back) is going on, and would like to fix it, before it goes public. That would be a PR nightmare. I HATE giving my credit card to a server to walk off with.

Kudos for Chilis for coming up with a solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I first saw one of the on-table devices and I didn't mind it, except that the % calcluations were on the post-tax amount, not pre-tax. That pissed me off.

I almost always tip 20% (more for breakfast or cheap lunches), but on the pre-tax amount.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if the waiters/watresses actually see any of the tips that are collected directly from the bill? I am betting most, if not all, goes to the the owner..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Why exactly are you lot paying more money after paying for the goods and services in question?

In the US, customers are expected to the bulk of wages of the staff in addition to the cost of the meal or service..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a VERY generous tipper. It makes me feel good to do so, it's my money, and I love to see the reaction of the staff. I once had a waitress run out to the parking lot and hug me saying she was a single Mom and her rent was due. That glow lasted me a long time.

As I've said before, whether you are a generous tipper or a stiffer, they WILL remember you the next time. Think about it. That "secret sauce" on your burger may not be what you'd hoped.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't this whole business of basing the tip on the bill being really unfair to the wait person? Why should they get less just because the customer is some cheap-ass who doesn't order the most expensive thing on the menu along with a decent number of appetizers, beverages, and desserts? Wouldn't it be better to just have some sort of standard like $20 for each person served as a base, with say, $10 increments per person for more than standard service?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't bother me none, I pay in cash.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
I wonder if the waiters/watresses actually see any of the tips that are collected directly from the bill? I am betting most, if not all, goes to the the owner..

Some places pass on the credit card processing fee to the server. Keep tips? No way. That is theft and the labor board will step in. Quick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Tipping is not a secret or rocket science. If you can't afford it, stay home. If you can afford it and choose to stiff your waiter, you're a freeloader.

Could not agree more.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
saying she was a single Mom and her rent was due.

If I had a nickel...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Isn't this whole business of basing the tip on the bill being really unfair to the wait person? Why should they get less just because the customer is some cheap-ass who doesn't order the most expensive thing on the menu along with a decent number of appetizers, beverages, and desserts? Wouldn't it be better to just have some sort of standard like $20 for each person served as a base, with say, $10 increments per person for more than standard service?

Tips hugely benefit the business owner, and they always push for the raising of tips, as it increases the quality of the employee. It allows them to have a $15-$20hr employee for a minimum wage salary. Those good looking college girls ain't gonna work for minimum wage if there is no tips. You'd end up with a ghetto fabulous server for minimum wage. Good looking college girls serving is just good for business, and just downright American.

IRS loves the electronic tips. They actually get taxed then. Cash tips go in the pocket. My wife and I love leaving a big cash tip, if we get that "feeling" we should. I wouldn't be surprised if the IRS banned cash tips in the future.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Wife and I eat out a lot. We enjoy it, we enjoy good food and appreciate good service, the kind that enhances the whole experience. When we get that kind of service, we tip accordingly. When we get piss-poor service we tip accordingly. When we get anything in between we tip accordingly. Those who can't afford it or who can't figure it out maybe oughta just stick to fast food or eat at home.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Think about it this way with the gizmos.. Do you really want some minimum wage server walking off with your credit card? I'm sure the restaurants are figuring out that a good deal of fraud (stealing numbers with the code on the back) is going on, and would like to fix it, before it goes public. That would be a PR nightmare. I HATE giving my credit card to a server to walk off with.

Good point. I never thought about this.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have NEVER put a tip on the credit card the times I have paid with a card.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It would be helpful if the wait person would indicate what denomination(s) of bills that they prefer for the tip. Is it handier to have higher denominations like a couple of twenties, or would four tens or eight fives be better?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good point. I never thought about this.

Just run a google search on that one. Happens a lot more than you think. One example: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ing-Customers-Credit-Card-250705311.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While it certainly happens, I don't think it is all that common. 10+ years in various kitchens and bars across the US and I can say I've never seen it happen in any place I've worked.

I eat out more than most and it has happened exactly once to me. An upscale sushi joint no less.

Most fraud committed by servers is directed at the house, not the guest. Seen that a lot. A whole lot.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,827
Posts18,477,918
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.