-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I caught the boat mechanic this past Saturday. I told him either he refunds my 700 or he's going to have problems, and he didn't have to worry about me calling the police because I'd take care of him myself.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dropped off some Wisconsin engine parts out of a bobcat to be machined. November of 2012. still waiting to hear from him.
thinking about picking them up and selling the machine for parts.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Pete E
These guys have missed their calling: they should have been gunsmiths!

Or taxidermists.

Or Ferrier's.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sadly, this rant is spot on consistent with my experience.

I trust no one without multiple referrals and then watch like a hawk. And, if they jack with me, it's on their nickel.

Oil booms increase this problem to the third power.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Does *anyone* GAF about one's word given in any meaningful way anymore? To me, a promise is just that, and it is damned important to me, no, *imperative* to be a man of my word.

Not to many that's why I do most all my own work, sometimes I'm to busy or sick but the results are usually that I am less than pleased.

I hope this one pans out for you.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say is when I could no longer maintain a decent promise schedule due to family health issues in my own business, I shut it down and got an 8/5 job instead..... Wish many otehrs would do such. But I'm generally not in much of a hurry on things as I know how life can be, but I'd prefer you tell me it'll be a year before I get my barrel in, or my suppressors( I bet I"m the only one who has never called the dealer or checked ATF online on suppressor status... wouldn't do any good to) instead of 2 months, another month, give me 3 more weeks etc...

I was in taxidermy, you couldn't just stop adn start as you needed so if I got called away to go to the hospital or such... and I refused to rush anything just to make a date... I'd rather it be late and done right, but when it got to be more than a month behind, that was it.

Good luck.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are still a few good shops that will follow through on their promises to repair equipment in a timely manner, unfortunately they are becoming rarer by the day.

As long as I don't have to do a complete engine teardown, I do all the maintenance on our vehicles/toys/power equipment myself.

If it weren't for the internet, I would probably have to have a shop repair my stuff.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or taxidermists.

Or Lawyers mad

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hotload

Or taxidermists.

Or Lawyers mad

Or Politicians.

Someone had to say it. laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Is the problem that they are just too swamped with business and have no idea how to meet a schedule, or are they stupid and lazy?

Not that it makes a difference.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have heard the opinion more than once that a good business opportunity is for someone to organize a gunsmith's shop such that a front man does all the order taking, receiving, shipping and the thing that takes up the majority of a smith's time - bullsh*tting with the customers who call constantly and want to have someone listen to them talk incessantly about their guns. All the while letting the actual gunsmith get the work done.

I suspect the same could be said of a mechanic or any small business where the artisan/craftsman has to do double duty in minding the storefront as well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why don't you try one of reality tv shops? They always seem to get things done in 4 days wink

I understand the rant, the reason I do most of my own work. Heck, it took us over a year to get our bathroom re-tiled. It was a year of several contractors flaking out on us, and finally finding a good one. Job was done in two days and I smiled when I wrote him a check for $1200. I'll take a wag that less than 10% of shops can get a job done on time and on budget.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i agree with everything said. my motto is "never pay somebody to screw up what you can screw up for free and in a timely manner".

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by California_Kid
This is why I do everything I can myself. I learned a long time ago I not only do a better job, but am not rushed like a dealer or tradesman. If I don't know how to do something, I find out. I have never left a drain plug or an oil filter loose like a few dealers I know. In 2-1/2 years you could have learned how and fixed your own bike 3 times over. Its a 2 stroke for gods sake, not a nuclear submarine. Gunsmithing same thing. I have done my own gunsmithing for years. Now I'm not rifling barrels but most things you can do yourself if you want to. Between the internet and the library there is little an individual cannot do. I have lifted my own Jeep, swapped axles by myself, rebuilt engines and tiled my own floors. Now if it was an old Triumph I would understand waiting a few months for parts. But a Japanese 2 stroke? Get a manual and get busy. Now as far as taxidermy goes. I have seen some awful looking crosseyed deer. I think that is one I will forego. And since I cant or don't want to do that I guess I have no use for a taxidermist.

Congrats. Good to know you have that kind of spare time on hand to be a part time mechanic/part time gunsmith as well as work a full-time job and do whatever else it is you do. I do not have that luxury, which is why I pay people to do work I need done.

BTW, you missed the point entirely, which was, in a nutshell,that people's words seem to be meaning less and less with every year that passes. It's turning out to be nothing but talk. Sort of like the collective morality/work ethics in this nation. All going [bleep] downhill.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I have heard the opinion more than once that a good business opportunity is for someone to organize a gunsmith's shop such that a front man does all the order taking, receiving, shipping and the thing that takes up the majority of a smith's time - bullsh*tting with the customers who call constantly and want to have someone listen to them talk incessantly about their guns. All the while letting the actual gunsmith get the work done.

I suspect the same could be said of a mechanic or any small business where the artisan/craftsman has to do double duty in minding the storefront as well.

Found out really quick in a one man shop, if you ever want to attempt to get ahead, and I never did, you have to put in the cost estimate, time to yack, dropping it off, all the calls to see when its done, stopping by to check on it, and then picking it up. And often in taxidermy you got call after call, is it ready, and then when it was silence for more than a month or two....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
For my machine, parts are not the problem, at all. Not even close. The old 2 strokes have a dedicated following, and there are parts galore. A half dozen sites have everything from soup to nuts for this project. Again, it's a matter of following through. Clearly, the 'art' of actually doing what you say for some folks is a lost concept.

What are you restoring? I have a 72 Honda CL350 that is in the process of being put back into working order. Same issues here. Getting people to honor promised deadlines.

1976 Yamaha RD 400.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feel your pain. Guy that built my race engine had a big name Top fuel guy $$$$$$$ come into the shop so he told me that now was the time to get some welding mods done to my frame at another shop as he was going to be busy. Took his advice and did as suggested. When I came back 3 days later he moved me to the bottom of his list because I had "left" his shop. This was after I had seen other race bikes come and go for 8 months while all my parts had been on his work bench during that time.

Got my engine a year later. mad mad mad mad

Denny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm all for doing what I can, when I can but I'm also not going to drop several grand in specialty tools to save a couple hundred on labor with the local shop.

Kamo - hope you get your chit back asap.

Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by teal
I'm all for doing what I can, when I can but I'm also not going to drop several grand in specialty tools to save a couple hundred on labor with the local shop.

I take it you don't own a nuclear sub then?

wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
or a mopar

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.