5-5-5
135#-165#-205#

For 10 rounds; Complete as many reps as possible of:

Strict Pull Ups for 1 minute,
30 second rest,
Strict Bent Over Row 135#/95# for 1 minute,
30 second rest,
Post reps to comments.

185 Reps. I subbed in bands and as little jumping as possible on the pullups.

GB1

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, recently I have developed 'runner's knee' in both of my knees and a Baker's cyst in the right. Cyst is not painful but the knes are very painful, after sitting awhile. I'm looking for suggestions for aerobic exercises I can try to keep my heart/lungs in shape while this condition clears. Swimming is out. Thanks.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pak
Well, recently I have developed 'runner's knee' in both of my knees and a Baker's cyst in the right. Cyst is not painful but the knes are very painful, after sitting awhile. I'm looking for suggestions for aerobic exercises I can try to keep my heart/lungs in shape while this condition clears. Swimming is out. Thanks.

If you are having knee pain from running, it is likely because your running form sucks. IE, you are heel-striking. Proper running form, even for long-distances, can be done barefoot on gentle/smooth terrain. POSE running, Chi-running, "barefoot" running are all quite similar versions of this. I'll bet if you went to a basketball court and ran around it barefoot for a few laps, you'd realize that it didn't hurt, because running without "pillows" strapped to your feet causes you to land on the balls of your feet, using the muscles/fascia of the lower legs as "springs" to cushion the landing. Running is an activity that can really wear on joints, as such, it should NEVER be done on successive days. No one in their right mind would do deadlifts or squats every day. Running is similar, IMO.

As for alternate forms of cardio, a Concept II rower is the only "cardio" machine worth owning, IMO. Good vids on its use at the Crossfit site. Next I'd reccomend a Stairmaster PT7000 Stepmill one or two days each week if you can find one. This is essentially walking up a down escalator. This can induce patellar tendonitis if you over do it, moreso the shorter your legs are, as short people have to flex the knee farther to reach the step height. Pushing or dragging a loaded sled or flipping a 3-400# tire will definetely get your heart pumping.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Strength:
Bent Over Rows
5-5-5
135#-165#-205#

30 second rest,
30 second rest,
Post reps to comments.

I guess your box's coach isn't a Rippetoe fan. Rip says "Phuuck barbell rows".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pak, are you stretching your hamstrings and heel cords regularly?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by pointer
Strength:
Bent Over Rows
5-5-5
135#-165#-205#

30 second rest,
30 second rest,
Post reps to comments.

I guess your box's coach isn't a Rippetoe fan. Rip says "Phuuck barbell rows".
This is the first time in 4 mos we've ever done this movement. So, maybe he just wanted to mix it up. I dunno, just do what he writes on the board.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a runner. I suspect, since I'm just learning the snatch Olympic lift, a combo of poor form and explosive movement on the knees is proving to be a tad much for these 62yo knees. I was thinking of trying those soleless shoes and will go and take a look today. Thanks for the suggestions.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pak
I'm not a runner. I suspect, since I'm just learning the snatch Olympic lift, a combo of poor form and explosive movement on the knees is proving to be a tad much for these 62yo knees.

You gotta coach for that? Personally I don't see the point of the oly snatch, the power snatch and the power clean develop power that translates better to general athletics, IMO. I believe a person should have done a lot of high-rep overhead squats for many months before they even attempt an oly snatch with any significant weight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Jeez, if we're gonna mention yard work I hafta go back and revise all my posts, I've been a yard-workin' fool the past month. Planted a few shrubs.yesterday, and continued with thatching and top-dressing the lawn.

That sort of schist is referred to as "activities of daily living" not a workout.

Read the post and I referred to it as stretching. Didn't mentioned it being workout. However, Smokepole is correct in that you can get some great exercise doing some activities of daily living that don't entail picking up iron or throwing your body around in a gym.

Also seen some bust their azz in a yoga class and it is a great workout.

Last edited by battue; 04/22/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by smokepole
Jeez, if we're gonna mention yard work I hafta go back and revise all my posts, I've been a yard-workin' fool the past month. Planted a few shrubs.yesterday, and continued with thatching and top-dressing the lawn.

That sort of schist is referred to as "activities of daily living" not a workout.

Read the post and I referred to it as stretching. Didn't mentioned it being workout. However, Smokepole is correct in that you can get some great exercise doing some activities of daily living that don't entail picking up iron or throwing your body around in a gym.

You are certainly correct, and just "doing stuff", or rather being able to do so, is or should be a primary motivator to stay fit. What all of this, by itself, does not do, is have a profound affect on all of the body's hormones, and hormones are where its at. To be all you can be, you have to embrace the suck, regularly.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Too funny. Like I've said before, when I'm 70 and can post up workouts like Harry does, I'll be happy. Hormones, schmormones.

PS, I did nothing today except walk around downtown Rapid City. Cool gun store here.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can definitely get a lot of exercise from "life" activities. The hard part about using them alone is finding a standard of measure, regularity, intensity, measure of improvement, specific focus/demand, etc....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
You can definitely get a lot of exercise from "life" activities. The hard part about using them alone is finding a standard of measure, regularity, intensity, measure of improvement, specific focus/demand, etc....

And another big issue is repetative-stress injury from doing the same thing so often, as it often happens in the workplace.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

As for alternate forms of cardio, a Concept II rower is the only "cardio" machine worth owning, IMO. Good vids on its use at the Crossfit site. Next I'd reccomend a Stairmaster PT7000 Stepmill one or two days each week if you can find one. This is essentially walking up a down escalator. This can induce patellar tendonitis if you over do it, moreso the shorter your legs are, as short people have to flex the knee farther to reach the step height. Pushing or dragging a loaded sled or flipping a 3-400# tire will definetely get your heart pumping.

If you get bored with your Concept II here's one to spend some time with:

http://versaclimber.com/workouts/

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hormones and working out:

Last week just came back from the yearly finger poke. Part of the deal is a blood test on the testosterone level. I do use Androgel when A: I find myself not liking myself and the world in general for more than a week or so and it does wonders. And B: If a know I'm going to have a long hard couple days. Either physical or stressful.

When I'm getting the blood test I stay off of it for at least two weeks in order to have a representative reading. Last result was 435. Which the Doc says is spectacular for a 70 year old. He is of the opinion without my exercise regime it would be much lower.

Sooooo, it is pretty much proven exercise does boost our Testosterone level and can have a positive effect on mood in the aging male. It also does it via the natural body physiology which is better than any external method.

For most healthy people stressing the body has a positive effect. However, you don't have to be throwing up on a daily basis to achieve the desired result.

Last edited by battue; 04/22/14.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

For most healthy people stressing the body has a positive effect. However, you don't have to be throwing up on a daily basis to achieve the desired result.

Agreed. Too much of a good thing is, well, too much. I don't puke from workouts, just from flying nap-of-the-earth smile Overdo it and you'll initiate the wrong hormone's production/release, cortisol. The best way to catch this is to take your resting pulse before you rise. A ten-beat increase from average spells trouble.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Last week just came back from the yearly finger poke..

I think a little discretion is called for here, most guys don't brag about this.........

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As long as I'm not backing up, it's ok�.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, I will take your word for it, as the most experienced.......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You'll eventually get to take you turn in the barrel�.

�.at least with this you know what is going on; colonoscopy, not so much. grin

Page 31 of 120 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.