Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have seen PEX split on 2 occasions
A very short piece between 2 fittings and when drilled thur a 6inch beam with avery tight fit.
We use it on all remodels now.
You have to consider that 3/4 PEX is the same id as 1/2 copper. Flow rate is very important.
The cost of sharkbite fittings really adds up fast.
We crimp everything. The price of the new lead free brass fittings is also high.

You should be able to rent the crimp tools.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am not in extreme cold weather country, and I replumbed my entire house using CPVC about 8 years ago.
It was easy to work and have had no issues.
YMMV

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I might be doing some extensive interior plumbing pretty soon. Copper is great but I have some corners to go around where getting in to sweat the joints is almost impossible, not to mention the price. Of the synthetic materials, what's best and why? I've used both PEX and CPVC on small jobs and they've worked fine. PCVC is really easy to use but does it have problems that I don't know about?
I recommend PEX ,in my area ,pretty much no one is using cpvc

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Thanks for the info, guys. I'd never heard about CPVC getting brittle. I don't know if I'll be doing this or not but we've been negotiating on a house sale. If we do it, I have some plumbing to replace.

With PEX, is it worth the cost of the clamps to use the clamp rings instead of the expensive Sharkbite fittings? Of course it depends on how many you have to do but I'll be doing a whole house.
you may be able to rent the tool ,if you have to purchase the tool it most likely won't be cost effective

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking that for the few extra $$ a crimping clamp would cost, it would be worth having it on hand for emergencies for those added jobs that you think of later.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There you go.
PEX is a great way to go. Get the crimper For future changes/repairs & it will pay for itself very fast. like the ratcheting crimpers for the tight places

I've installed 1000's of feet of 1/2"-1-1/4" pex with zero problems.

EXCEPT SUNLIGHT!!!!

Keep the direct sun off of it & be worry free the rest of your life & probably another generation or two.

Last edited by White_Bear; 04/18/14.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
PEX simply has no competition at present.

This is where you could be wrong ... ever heard of Aquatherm? It's a top-notch product.

http://www.aquatherm.com

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by White_Bear
There you go.
PEX is a great way to go. Get the crimper For future changes/repairs & it will pay for itself very fast. like the ratcheting crimpers for the tight places

I've installed 1000's of feet of 1/2"-1-1/4" pex with zero problems.

EXCEPT SUNLIGHT!!!!

Keep the direct sun off of it & be worry free the rest of your life & probably another generation or two.
true , but pvc , cpvc is not uv resistant either . That is the big difference in pvc and grey conduit is the uv protection

Last edited by ldholton; 04/18/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Stush
Another vote for PEX. I've soldered a lot of copper over the years, but PEX is easier, more freeze resilient, and faster for me at least.

I used to be a purist, nothing but copper! My next house build will be pex all throughout. I have to admit some of this new stuff is really the cats meow.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CPVC dries out and gets brittle with age.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PEX. Run,run, run away from CPVC.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought a 100 PSI guage, and put 100 lbs oh air pressure on the lines overnight, before I put water on the..

Again, pex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PEX is as about a bulletproof plumbing system as you're ever going to get. That is awesome in sub-zero climates. You can even use it for the bulk of your boiler-based heating system.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
PEX simply has no competition at present.

This is where you could be wrong ... ever heard of Aquatherm? It's a top-notch product.

http://www.aquatherm.com
No, I've not heard of Aquatherm, but then I'm not a plumber or HVAC guy. By saying there is no competition I did not mean to imply that no one else is in the race, but that the winner is decided before the flag drops.

How available is Aquatherm? That alone would indicate that while it may be good stuff, it is not in competition with PEX--at least not yet. I'm all for something better, but for now PEX is the way to go, there's no competition.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.