Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Two of the wisdoms my father left me were 1) 22 hp's are to be sold. 2) The time to sell something, is when someone wants to buy.
The stock market boom and bust and the last land boom and bust were great examples of markets that were hot, and then, not.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't get why some people have it in for the .22HP. I guess they never gave it a fair trial or are put off by the challenge it represents in creating good ammo for it. My old man had the only one I had seen up to that point, which triggered a curiosity that is ongoing. I learned a long time ago to filter the advise the old timers passed down and accept only that which had a soup�on of sagacity.

Personally, I have had a running love affair with .22 centerfires all my shooting life, which is darn near my entire life. That I'm sure is what caused my admiration of Savage lever guns to coalesce with the only one (pre-mil) to be chambered with a .22 bore. What's not to like? Low recoil, plenty of power to kill deer-sized game at wood's ranges, and accurate.

Then there is the added panache of replying to the "Whatcha got there" questions posed by strangers in the woods, that results in a universal look of bewilderment on their uneducated faces. Truth be told, that counts for a lot too.

As for the OP's discovery discussed above, my sentiments reflect those of the others: it's a bit overpriced for the condition it's in. Keep looking.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Maybe with 22hp's, but not necessarily true with the market and commercial real estate....if one did not panic and capitulate during the stock market bust, there was a lot of money to be made....the markets are currently near all time highs and REIT's are up 25%+ over the last 5 years.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Our market is still finding a bottom. You can see some big money starting to come in on the lake front. The less desirables are selling, but around half where they were at the peak. Of course they didn't sell in the peak because people thought they would go up or hold, and some just tried to sell too late, too high. The price of old, fuel wasting places is down for good because of the fuel cost.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lauren
Our market is still finding a bottom. You can see some big money starting to come in on the lake front. The less desirables are selling, but around half where they were at the peak. Of course they didn't sell in the peak because people thought they would go up or hold, and some just tried to sell too late, too high. The price of old, fuel wasting places is down for good because of the fuel cost.

This is usually where 22HP discussions end up- in profanity.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I don't get why some people have it in for the .22HP. I guess they never gave it a fair trial or are put off by the challenge it represents in creating good ammo for it. My old man had the only one I had seen up to that point, which triggered a curiosity that is ongoing. I learned a long time ago to filter the advise the old timers passed down and accept only that which had a soup�on of sagacity.

Personally, I have had a running love affair with .22 centerfires all my shooting life, which is darn near my entire life. That I'm sure is what caused my admiration of Savage lever guns to coalesce with the only one (pre-mil) to be chambered with a .22 bore. What's not to like? Low recoil, plenty of power to kill deer-sized game at wood's ranges, and accurate.

Then there is the added panache of replying to the "Whatcha got there" questions posed by strangers in the woods, that results in a universal look of bewilderment on their uneducated faces. Truth be told, that counts for a lot too.

As for the OP's discovery discussed above, my sentiments reflect those of the others: it's a bit overpriced for the condition it's in. Keep looking.

+1 on what gnoahh is saying (even though I had to look up soupcon and sagacity). I would add that I think one of the things about the 1899 Savages I like most are the 22hp and 250-3000 calibers. Savage had a great run on cool and effective proprietary calibers. I understand why and at the same time am perplexed by wanting the non-savage calibers in 1899s. And I love/collect 1894 rifles too.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 250 killed the 22hp. Like the 30 30 is preferable to the 303 and 308 is preferable to 300.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
There is a certain amount of truth in your statement but you are missing the point. It's not about the efficiency of any particular cartridge. It's about owning a vintage rifle in a vintage cartridge and if that's the objective, raw practicality has little to do with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 250 killed the 22hp. Like the 30 30 is preferable to the 303 and 308 is preferable to 300.

By that logic than the 308 should be dead because the 30-06 is preferable. And the 30-06 should be dead because the 300 Win Mag is preferable. Should be down to just one cartridge being sold.

Room enough in this world for all kinds of people. If collectors want a Savage 1899 in 22HP, then there is a demand for it. If there are collectors who can't afford a $1500 top of the line 1899 with fancy wood and 95%+ condition, then there will be a market for $650 1899H's in 22HP.

If a guy is focused on the money and just wants to flip guns for a profit, then he probably wants to skip the $650 22HP's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whenever you find yourself reaching, or making up a justification, to buy something and own it because, it will be cool. You are not usually making a good deal.
I remember what one guy said to me years ago, "I buy this stuff for what it is worth to me, not what other people think it is worth." That is a solid policy.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
My brother the "DICK" picked up a 1912 1899H in 22H.P. on saturday, FLAT ASSED NEW !!!!!!! condition in a gunshop in Concord,ive never seen one in such good shape.The rear sight was like the 250-3000 sight , with patent pending on it. Don

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
lol ...ain't it nice when your brother gets a sweetie like that?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whenever you find yourself reaching, or making up a justification, to buy something and own it because, it will be cool. You are not usually making a good deal.
I remember what one guy said to me years ago, "I buy this stuff for what it is worth to me, not what other people think it is worth." That is a solid policy.

lauren

The main reason I got interested in Savage 1899s was their proprietary calibers. They were ahead of their competition. I'm focused on collecting 1899 Savage and 1894 Winchester rifles from 1900-1920s roughly. So I collect rifles in calibers that were available then. So .308 is out. Another reason I got into Savage is because I feel the nicer ones are often undervalued.

""I buy this stuff for what it is worth to me, not what other people think it is worth." That is a solid policy."

That is exactly what I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"One man's junk is another man's treasure".

Wish I would have thought of those words...but I didn't

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember my father saying 22hp's, 303's, are a drug on the market. Sort of perplexing because when we grew up a drug on the market was kind of hot. I guess what he meant was the drug put the market to sleep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember my father saying 22hp's, 303's, are a drug on the market. Sort of perplexing because when we grew up a drug on the market was kind of hot. I guess what he meant was the drug put the market to sleep.

Here ya go...

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dru2.htm

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 HP's and 303 were a different bird 30 or 40 years ago. Just antiquated junk in most people's view. I think most collectors see them differently now than they did in 1980ish.

What was a 44 Henry worth in 1900 when you could have a shiney new Savage, Winchester or Marlin 30-30?

What is that same Henry worth today? Things change. My grandfather said a lot of things that were true and relevant in his day, that aren't today. Times change.

Just sayin

Last edited by 99guy; 04/21/14.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I basically stay out of this forum because I'm not a savage collector. I have one and it's a lever safety, rotary magazine 250-3000 made in '51. That's all I know about it. That said, I wish it was a 22 HP. MY 250 is a 1 in 14 and I haven't shot it since I ran out of 75 gr. x bullets. I think the HP is more desirable as a collectible and would have been the better investment.

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Maybe with 22hp's, but not necessarily true with the market and commercial real estate....if one did not panic and capitulate during the stock market bust, there was a lot of money to be made....the markets are currently near all time highs and REIT's are up 25%+ over the last 5 years.

25% over 5 years in nothing to write home about... that would generally be consider poor performance.

Andrew
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 28 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,257
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.