Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
my nula had an issue with extraction Melvin said that the brass being made today was horrible when setting the extractors up to sammi dimensions I wouldn't be so quick to blame the rifle.

and the bedding wont win any contest as far as looks but it does work

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The were a couple burrs on the factory extractor in my 20b. The other thing I noticed was the spring was very weak. The extractor would push down easily, instead of snapping over the rim of the case. The new extractor was burr free and the spring was much tighter.

Rancho's bedding looks much worse than than the rifle I had. I also owned a 24b in 270 late last summer. The bedding in that rifle was almost perfect IIRC. The metal finish on the early 24b was smoother than the finish on the 20b as well.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Rancho, I think my luck rubbed off on you.

Rancho- if what dogcatcher says turns out to be true, you're [bleep].

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Holy chit...

The extractor spring might be an issue.. It does feel sloppy.

Problem is, I really don't have time to wrench on rifles right now with travel and work and spring sports etc etc..

JB recommended some different brass, which would be great if there was any around. I'd love to run some blue box through it..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Holy chit...

The extractor spring might be an issue.. It does feel sloppy.

Problem is, I really don't have time to wrench on rifles right now with travel and work and spring sports etc etc..

Rancho for $1400-$1500 bucks, you really shouldn't have to.

I hate it when rifles don't work like they should. Hope they fix things for you.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is really hard to read. Forbes or NULA, Melvin won't be happy. This was his attempt to get a less expensive rifle out there in a mass production style price point.
I'd guess there is a lot of backorders to fill and quality control has suffered.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/20/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is a Forbes, not a nula..

Not a nula, she's my baby, not a nula, don't mean maybe..

I sent in an email to Forbes in Maine.. We'll see what they say.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by gene270
my nula had an issue with extraction Melvin said that the brass being made today was horrible when setting the extractors up to sammi dimensions I wouldn't be so quick to blame the rifle.

and the bedding wont win any contest as far as looks but it does work

I would'nt blame Melvin either, but alot of rifles use this type of extractor with good sucess despite the brass used in them, this is a rifle that shouldn't have made it past quality control!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Is the front pillar curved to match the action, or is it flat? Hard to tell from the picture.

If it is flat, there is no way that action is touching any bedding material. In the picture it actually looks like the pillar was added after bedding was done and then more bedding added to make it look nice and flush. Notice how the material around the pillar is very smooth looking instead of having the parkerized texture of the action. Then look at the bedding up near the show line of the stock and notice how the texture looks. Big difference.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curved.. The pillar appears properly installed.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
P.S. - will not eject fired brass either, when fed from magazine, or by hand.

Another thread going on about the necessity of proper bedding probably being the cause of so-so grouping in a Montana. Yet some here say they would bet this one will shoot great? What makes them think that?

Obviously with the failure to extract it wasn't even function tested. Couldn't cost all that much and would have saved money and bad publicity.

I'm with Bob.

Lot of things I'm glad they don't make them like they used to. I'm beginning to question if rifles are one of them.

Last edited by battue; 04/20/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Curved.. The pillar appears properly installed.

Speaking of curved......grin

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by battue
P.S. - will not eject fired brass either, when fed from magazine, or by hand.

Another thread going on about the necessity of proper bedding probably be the cause of so-so grouping in a Montana. Yet some here say they would bet this one will shoot great? What makes them think that?

Obviously with the failure to extract it wasn't even function tested. Couldn't cost all that much and would have saved money and bad publicity.

I'm with Bob.

Lot of things I'm glad they don't make them like they used to. I'm beginning to question if rifles are one of them.

Harry,
The bedding under the front of the action and the tang look pretty good. The crap bedding is around the trigger area. RL said the lug and full length under the barrel were good.

That's why I thought it would shoot. Just my $.02 to answer your question.

The extraction issue is unacceptable...especially since Forbes has been contacted about the issue with other rifles. Red flags should be sent to QC to identify potential issues.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Darrik,

I believe you know what you are talking about and not directed at you in particular. However, I looked at your work on the Kimber and it puts that particular Forbes example to shame. It may and since you know your stuff probably will work.

Perhaps a bad example of one or only a few. My thoughts still are that someone fumbled re the overall quality expectations which goes beyond function in this particular example.

With that tiny extractor, I would think that would be an area they should always pay particular attention to.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With that tiny extractor, I would think that would be an area they should always pay particular attention to.

And maybe a hint to those that say that CRF ala Mauser 98 is meaningless.

No, I am not saying it is absolutely required. Just that it is a better design.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having to try different brass is preposterous... definitely a problem there, and it certainly sounds like the spring/extractor is a culprit... well, that and poor QC all the way round.

New products to market usually have some issues... but this ought not be. It's a fairly simple mechanism and the father (NULA) has been around for a couple decades.

Shameful...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it shoots, who cares about the bedding?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
If it shoots, who cares about the bedding?

Agreed, but if it can't extract, who cares if it can shoot?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Let us say it does shoot for now. However, if that didn't take pride in the entirety of their work, how long will it continue to do so. Like Redhead said, what about water getting into the exposed foam and what adverse effects it may have down the road? Something I never thought of until he mentioned it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing that concerns me about the bedding -- what's up with the mag well? It looks like something was stuck. Why the hole in the bottom? It look like some of the stock popped out with the action...especially around the trigger inlet.

Page 5 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.