Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Barak
Nah. I support gun control opponents like SAF and JPFO and CCRKBA and GOA, not moderate gun control advocates like NRA.

I almost joined NRA back when Wayne LaPierre made that "certain level of killing" remark back during the Clinton presidency, but before I could lay hands on an application, he apologized for it.

Since then, I haven't been tempted. The NRA is about as opposed to gun control as the Republican Party is opposed to big government.

Unfortunately true.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm a life member of the NRA , I don't agree with everything they do but most of it.
I bought a life membership to SAF a few years ago, I don't remember the exact $ amount but it wasn't much.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The NRA is still the most effective lobbying entity we have.
The more members they have, the more effective they can be.
I'm an endowment member - and made sure my kids are life members - son-in-law has been an annual member for years.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The large numbers of members gives gutless Dimocrap politicians nightmares.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Rovering
For those that thinks that the NRA is not aggressive enough, that is just a good reason to also join GOA or JPFO not a good reason to not join the NRA.

What do you think of NAGR.org National Association og Gun Rights headed by Dudley Brown?
I understand it is a bottom up group, more in tune with the grassroots than the NRA is. Though I have nothing against the NRA and belong.
Thanks!

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
I completely disagree with Wayne LaPierre's $800,000+ annual salary.

Holy Smokes, that's a lot of membership dues !
At what level do NRA lawyers get involved?
Did they do anything about illegal search and seisure in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana? Did they go after NOPD?
Are they doing anything in Connecticut or New York state?
Anybody know?

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy Smokes, that's a lot of membership dues !
At what level do NRA lawyers get involved?
Did they do anything about illegal search and seisure in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana? Did they go after NOPD?
Are they doing anything in Connecticut or New York state?
Anybody know?

This is how you stay informed. It arrives daily

https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/secure/stay-informed.aspx

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
For those that thinks that the NRA is not aggressive enough, that is just a good reason to also join GOA or JPFO not a good reason to not join the NRA.

What do you think of NAGR.org National Association og Gun Rights headed by Dudley Brown?
I understand it is a bottom up group, more in tune with the grassroots than the NRA is. Though I have nothing against the NRA and belong.
Thanks!

I don't know enough about NAGR.org to have an opinion, Sorry.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
NRA staffers & attorneys are constantly traveling & make less than private firms. Wayne's salary is a pittance compared to private corporations like GE & Boeing. The president of Boeing makes over $22 million plus lots of perks. Are CEO's worth this? Probably not, but its what the market pays. I'm frequently in NRA Headquarters & see first hand how many hours they work. NRA is much more than even the lobbying efforts. I teach the Eddie Eagle children's gun safety program that the NRA developed. When I have taught children's shooting programs the NRA loans me .22 rifles & shotguns. I also teach a turkey hunting seminar co-sponsored by National Capital Chapter of Safari Club International at NRA Headquarters that is well attended. The NRA has developed courses on turkey hunting, deer hunting, & Western hunting that instructors can use to increase hunters knowledge. I'm chair of the Wounded Warrior/Disabled Veteran Committee for SCI in the DC area. When sending comfort items to deployed troops the NRA donated lots of items & provides free memberships.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I support gun control opponents like SAF and JPFO and CCRKBA and GOA

They've made about as much progress as the libertarians.

So those were NRA lawyers in the Heller, McDonald cases in front of the Supreme Court?

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am a NRA Life Member. I don't agree with everything they do. But I support them 110%. What I can't believe is how much people bitch about the NRA. And yet they are not members, because they send them mail or call. Funny how the non members are the loudest bitches.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am always amazed at the chicken chit excuses non- NRA member gun owners give for not joining. A lot of dem gun owners do not join.
The simple truth is ....if it were not for the NRA...... civilian gun ownership would not exist today.
I have bought several lifetime memberships for my goofy relatives that I hunt and fish with, but discuss politics infrequently.

Last edited by cisco1; 04/20/14.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One can opt-out of the NRA mailing and phone solicitations, with a phone call.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those who bitch about the NRA, and are not members, sure want the NRA to fight for their gun rights, don't they?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When I upgraded my membership to life, I made sure not to put my phone number down on any form and to check every box to opt out on the mailings.
It worked. I never get any phone calls and hardly any mailings.
I did put my e-mail address down and I get 3 or 4 e-mail a day from them but some is because I have a RSO cert. not just because I'm a member.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I support gun control opponents like SAF and JPFO and CCRKBA and GOA

They've made about as much progress as the libertarians.

So those were NRA lawyers in the Heller, McDonald cases in front of the Supreme Court?

I think the SAF was the thrust behind one if not both those cases and I do know the NRA advised against the one and joined the SAF reluctantly. They did, however claim the victory illicitly after the case was won and earned much disgust and antipathy from many in the know.

In one of those cases the NRA advised SAF against bringing the suit as they felt they would lose.

In another similar case SAF instigated in New York, the NRA also felt it would lose and did not join SAF in the suit but did join against the SAF as a friend of the court. IIRC, that caused the SAF to drop the suit.

Last edited by eyeball; 04/20/14.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99

Thanks!

Why not support the SAF as they are the ones bringing the lawsuits against those passing illegal gun laws?

It's pretty easy to google SAF and look at the lawsuits they have filed and financed on our behalf.

The northwest quad of New Mexico has some pretty strong shooting groups and even have weekly radio programs dealing with this. Most those people pretty much aren't big fans of the NRA.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In 2008, the Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle Association successfully sued Washington, forcing the state to restart issuing and renewing Alien Firearms Licenses to legal resident aliens.[10]

On June 26, 2008, following the ruling in District of Columbia vs. Heller affirming an individual Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms by the Supreme Court of the United States, the Second Amendment Foundation filed a suit, known as McDonald v. Chicago, against the City of Chicago to overturn its handgun ban.[11] Alan Gura, who successfully argued Heller before the Supreme Court, was lead counsel in this case. On June 28, 2010, the Supreme Court held in McDonald that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is incorporated by the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and applies to the states.[12] In a noteworthy concurring opinion, Justice Clarence Thomas held that the application of the Second Amendment to the states was through the Fourteenth Amendment's Privileges or Immunities Clause.

Following the Heller decision in 2008 in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for private use, the Second Amendment Foundation partnered with Smith & Wesson to create a commemorative revolver. On the right side plate of the revolver, the scale of justice is depicted with the case name across the scale. The balance is in favor of the "Heller" name with the court date of "June 26, 2008" positioned across the top. Underneath the scale, the side plate reads "Second Amendment" and "The right to keep and bear arms" in white lettering. The revolver was presented to the six plaintiffs of the case and will be available for customer purchase in Fall 2008.[13]

On June 29, 2010, following the McDonald ruling by the Supreme Court that the Second Amendment is incorporated against the states, the Second Amendment Foundation, along with Grass Roots North Carolina and three North Carolina citizens, filed a federal suit[14] in North Carolina. The suit, known as Bateman vs. Perdue, seeks to prevent local officials and local governments from declaring states of emergency under which private citizens are prohibited from exercising their right to bear arms.[15] Alan Gura, who successfully argued Heller and McDonald before the Supreme Court, is lead counsel in this case.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BELLEVUE, WA � New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and State Police Superintendent Joseph D�Amico have agreed, in a stipulated order, to not enforce a section of the state�s controversial SAFE (Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement) Act while an appeal is underway in one of the legal challenges to that statute, amounting to a small but important victory for the Second Amendment Foundation in a challenge to the constitutionality of a provision in the law.

At issue is the arbitrary seven-round limit on magazine capacity that was included in the SAFE Act under Section 265.37 of that law. At trial in the case of New York State Rifle and Pistol Assn, Inc. v. Cuomo, Judge William M. Skretny ruled that the section dealing with the magazine limit is unconstitutional. He upheld other provisions in the Act.

SAF is joined in its separate action by SCOPE, Inc., Long Island Firearms LLC and seven individual citizens, Matthew Caron, Matthew Gudger, Jeffrey Murray, MD., Gary Wehner, John Amidon, Nunzio Calce and James Middleton.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
SAF, CALGUNS SCORE NINTH CIRCUIT VICTORY IN RICHARDS CARRY CASE
5 Mar 2014 | News & Releases
BELLEVUE, WA � The Second Amendment Foundation and The Calguns Foundation earned a significant victory today when the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed and remanded the case of Richards v. Prieto, challenging the handgun carry license issuing policy of Yolo County, California, Sheriff Ed Prieto.

�Today�s ruling reinforces the Second Amendment�s application to state and local governments, and will help clear the way for more California citizens to exercise their right to bear arms,� said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. �California officials have been put on notice that they can no longer treat the Second Amendment as a heavily-regulated government privilege.�

The case was originally filed in 2009 as Sykes v. McGinness, and challenged not only Yolo County�s policies, but Sacramento County�s then-restrictive practices as well. SAF, Calguns and two private citizens, Adam Richards and Brett Stewart, continued pursuing the case against Yolo County after Sacramento County agreed to relax its policy. Plaintiffs are represented by attorneys Alan Gura and Don Kilmer.

�We are confident that the win today will stand the test of time,� said Calguns Foundation Chairman Gene Hoffman.

The Richards case was argued at the same time, and to the same panel, that earlier decided Peruta v. County of San Diego, a similar case challenging overly-restrictive carry license policies. Yolo County and Sheriff Prieto argued that their policies were distinguishable from those struck down in Peruta, but apparently the three-judge panel unanimously disagreed.

�The Ninth Circuit�s decision moves our Carry License Compliance Initiative forward,� explained CGF Executive Director Brandon Combs. �We�re already preparing the next phase of litigation to ensure that all law-abiding Californians can exercise their right to bear arms.�

Gottlieb noted that the battle over right-to-carry laws is far from over, but today�s Ninth Circuit decision reaffirms that court�s earlier ruling in the Peruta case and �moves the ball another step forward.�

�We will pursue Second Amendment affirmation wherever and whenever such cases are possible as SAF fights to win back gun rights one lawsuit at a time,� Gottlieb stated.

(California carry license applicants can download state-standard application forms, legal information, and report unconstitutional policies or process issues at https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/carry)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 3,334 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.