Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Not saying you are wrong Ive just had opposite experience than you have in the three guns I have used it in. Like I said more than one way to skin a cat. Good day.

A couple barrels I've been around have done the moly build up then blow out deal. That sucked.

Most worked fine with moly, but not any better than with DBC, which is much easier to deal with.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by armedferret
I was having issues with this one stacking first/third shots, and sending number 2 off randomly high left, low right, low left, straight high, straight to the side....really weird. so i just gotta keep it a little cleaner is all. not a huge deal.

You may be right. But, typically when your loads are doing this, a slight adjustment in bullet seat depth will solve the problem.

You start by examining the average of your groups shape. If there are 2 together and the 3rd shot out of the group, the OAL is too long for your rifle chamber and you need to seat the bullet deeper.

Seat deeper and repeat until the 3rd bullet comes into the group.

If the groups are large equilateral triangles, the OAL is too short so you do the opposite and seat out until the group shrinks.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by armedferret
I was having issues with this one stacking first/third shots, and sending number 2 off randomly high left, low right, low left, straight high, straight to the side....really weird. so i just gotta keep it a little cleaner is all. not a huge deal.

You may be right. But, typically when your loads are doing this, a slight adjustment in bullet seat depth will solve the problem.

You start by examining the average of your groups shape. If there are 2 together and the 3rd shot out of the group, the OAL is too long for your rifle chamber and you need to seat the bullet deeper.

Seat deeper and repeat until the 3rd bullet comes into the group.

If the groups are large equilateral triangles, the OAL is too short so you do the opposite and seat out until the group shrinks.

Thanks for the remedial lesson. Now here's a recap since you weren't paying attention:

shots one and three land directly on top of each other. shot two is randomly elsewhere on the paper.

cleaning (with no other changes) stopped this occurring for a while. then it began again. seating depth never changed.

now do tell, how seating depth that never changes, somehow works part of the time but not the rest of the time, and it's shot number TWO, not three, that's errant?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Doesn't matter what shot it is in the three shot string that kicks out. What Reloader28 described is a normal occurrence, and the seating depth fix he described often works well.

The accuracy differences could be a result of limited sampling due to shooting 3 shot groups.

But....you said it's had quite a few rounds through it and this is oft repeated, so I suspect it could be a cleaning issue.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree with 'Loder's assessment also. You might try shooting a 10-shot group and see how many of those 2nd shots are really fliers.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds a lot like a bedding issue to me.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

IMO, if a barrel is in that kind of shape, it needs some Tubbs Final Finish polishing, as it is likely rough.

^That.

You don't have to run all 50 of the bullets down the tube. You could run 5 of the 3 finest and see what that does for you?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,095
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.