Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've not fed anything shorter than a 7x57 AI into a mauser, so cannot speak to the 08 case.

The 7x57, 280AI and 06AI all fed beautifully into mausers here--may have a bit more to do with the Smithy...

Jim Kobe, on this board, did the fix for me on a 30-06AI with a full-length box and throat, and it feeds just as well as any standard.

Defend the Constitution
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

This was my first thought as well.

While well short of anything I'd characterize as "nightmare" my 257 AI took some tweaking even though the standard Bob case fed smoothly.

If it were me and I had a well functioning Mauser in 243 Win but wanted to play w/ the AI I'd get a Ruger American & have Dave @ IT&D punch it.

I am with you though. Never for the life of me could figure out why fire forming for a hunting rifle could be anything but a pure pleasure. I just received a 280 AI (my 2nd AI ever and certainly not my last) and am looking forward to crafting an accurate fire forming load, setting up the steel in a local hayfield, and keepin it swinging several Saturdays in a row this summer in preparation for the main event in Wyoming this fall!

I hadn't even thought about the complication of CRF feeding and AI, but I can clearly see it where it woudl be an issue. The rifle is a gem and feeds perfectly now. I don't want to chance screwing it up. I will hold off on the .243AI for now, but I might think about doing one later.
I DO however have another AI project the pipeline. I have a Ruger tang safety that will getting barreled and chambered to .280AI later this summer. It should be a neat one when its finished I think.

My .223AI is just as accurate with fireforming loads as it is with formed AI loads. I've hunted, shot gongs, busted rocks, etc. with firefroming loads. Any trigger time is worthwhile to me, and I certainly wouldn't call it a chore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved in 2002 on a VZ24 Mauser action with a Lothar Walther light varmint chrome moly barrel.

I built a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed in 2012 in a Uberti clone of a Win 1885 falling block with a Shilen Select match #3 taper stainless barrel.

I am an amateur gunsmith, only building rifles for myself. I have ~ 2 dozen reamers and only one is an Ackley. I am not buying any more Ackley reamers, as the fire forming is too much trouble.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want a 50-75 fps gain (at most without getting stupid in your loading), an AI'd cartridge based on the '08 case is a good option to consider rather than going to a long action or a wsm. I've had a 7-08AI for about 7 or 8 yrs and it's the wifes gun and she loves it. In that amount of time, been able to build up plenty of fire-formed brass, and I'll bet I've trimmed less than a dozen cases. Pros and cons. No feeding issues in a Rem 700.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 204guy, 16 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.