-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the local LandRover clubs out and about on some of the "green lanes" (trails) near where I live.

I should add I recognise quite a few of the places in the video, and I've driven them in my stock Suzuki Jimny albeit in dryer conditions..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Have to kill 40 more mins.

Never been in an English 4x4. How good are they in your opinion.

The basic LandRovers like the Defender were great off road, but always had reliability issues.

I would go as far to say, the Defender fills the same niche as the smaller Jeeps do in the US, and have the same mixed reputation.

Sadly, LandRover have gradually drifted away from their roots ie a work horse 4x4 (the Defender) and have gradually gone towards luxury over complicated yuppie vehicles like the Range Rover. But they still have not managed to get the reliability issues sorted!

I have driven a lot of Land Rovers of various sorts over the years, but I've never felt confident enough to put my own ��� into buying one..

actually if you stay close to stock Jeeps tend to be pretty reliable.....but if you start modding them only here and there as you have money and dont upgrade the right stuff first and go with what looks cool first they will start breaking stuff with boring and expensive regularity.....most the mixed and bad reviews on Wranglers and such is because some idiots seem to think that since they are car size they ought to corner like cars at highway speeds.....which leads to rolling crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
course as much as a jeep nut as i am i do lust after an old Toyota Land Cruiser like one of these:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
When I was living in NC I had neighbors over, and the lady across the street asked, "why do you have two pickups?" I said, "basically because I can" Her husband laughed and said, There ya go!". She turned and pointed a finger at him and said, "you stop that right NOW!" grin

So occasionally I park both pickups in the driveway, just to make guys in the neighborhood envious smile

Tex [I try to forget the Cal ;)] , Get a jeep. You will have more versatility with a truck AND a jeep...You can take the top off the jeep, go to places in the mountains where the truck can't go, and they just have a cool cool factor that is different from a truck. If you get the jeep, you can keep your neighbors wondering what you are going to do next with it [since you mentioned the neighbors]. I really enjoy my jeep and it's not even a Rubicon or the ones that are highly desired in this thread. I have a 94 Laredo Grand Cherokee with size 31x10.50x15 [BTW Waputi, I selected the tires myself] and had the wheel-well cut to fit. It looks much newer than a 94 and is in great shape. The engine is a V-8 so the power is there. I don't drive a ton so who cares about the fuel mileage. Anyway, forget my Cherokee because you have the bucks to go for what the guys are talking about here.

P.s. Ever going back to TN?

Last edited by asphaltangel; 04/24/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't seen any pics of a Jeep yet on this thread, so I'll hang some...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

72 CJ-5
Full cage
Lockers front and rear in Dana 44's
350 Chevy MSD Fuel injection
Turbo 350 Automatic transmission
Power steering and brakes
35 x 12.5 Mud Terrains
4" Rancho Lift 3" body lift
Rancho 9000 gas adjustables
Sway bars with quick disconnects front and rear
20 gallon main tank, 10 gallon under the seat auxiliary tank, 10 gallons reserve
9000 # front winch, 3500 # receiver hitch rear winch

Etc...

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
course as much as a jeep nut as i am i do lust after an old Toyota Land Cruiser like one of these:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And you can get them with a decent diesel engine!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hope this thread keeps going. Love looking @ Jeeps and it gives me lots of ideas of what I might want someday. Either with my current Jeep or something different in the future. This thread is making me want to hit a trail or two! I know once I get past that 1st scratch or ding the fun will only have begun. :-)

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This picture is just for fun, came in email this morning.

If Paul Bunyan had a jeep

[Linked Image]

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm home
I lose pics on photo bucket, so will work on that see if I can get one up sometime.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a picture of our 1st jeep..1968 CJ5 at the 1985 Sierra Trek.
[Linked Image]

grin

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey great memory pic Jason on that steep hill. But I do think I'll take up jogging soon.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
When I was living in NC I had neighbors over, and the lady across the street asked, "why do you have two pickups?" I said, "basically because I can" Her husband laughed and said, There ya go!". She turned and pointed a finger at him and said, "you stop that right NOW!" grin

So occasionally I park both pickups in the driveway, just to make guys in the neighborhood envious smile

Tex [I try to forget the Cal ;)] , Get a jeep. You will have more versatility with a truck AND a jeep...You can take the top off the jeep, go to places in the mountains where the truck can't go, and they just have a cool cool factor that is different from a truck. If you get the jeep, you can keep your neighbors wondering what you are going to do next with it [since you mentioned the neighbors]. I really enjoy my jeep and it's not even a Rubicon or the ones that are highly desired in this thread. I have a 94 Laredo Grand Cherokee with size 31x10.50x15 [BTW Waputi, I selected the tires myself] and had the wheel-well cut to fit. It looks much newer than a 94 and is in great shape. The engine is a V-8 so the power is there. I don't drive a ton so who cares about the fuel mileage. Anyway, forget my Cherokee because you have the bucks to go for what the guys are talking about here.

P.s. Ever going back to TN?

oh yeah, caught the Campfire Hog Hunt again this year. Took the new truck, which did fine of the 1800 mi round trip.

I think I'm more partial to old Broncos than Jeeps, but yeah an open 4x4 has the convertible sports car appeal, but will do real work, too. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by sactoller
Here is a picture of our 1st jeep..1968 CJ5 at the 1985 Sierra Trek.
[Linked Image]

grin

Jeep?? What Jeep??? Oh, that blue spot to the left......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started Jeep life in 1991 or 92 with a 1986 CJ-7 not six sorry i can't type!!

Jeep 4 cyl, 4 speed tranny, caught on fire in 94 while on the way back to Ft. Bragg from Georgia laugh

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 04/25/14.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these would be pretty fun, too...

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wouldn't be acceptable to the modern driver and after you add the air bags, electronic traction control, air conditioning. power windows, electronically engaged 4wd (so the modern user doesn't strain his limp wrist pulling on a lever), heated seats, Bluetooth, cruise control, and the myriad of necessities the modern driver requires, it just wouldn't be a truck anymore. GD

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by greydog
Wouldn't be acceptable to the modern driver and after you add the air bags, electronic traction control, air conditioning. power windows, electronically engaged 4wd (so the modern user doesn't strain his limp wrist pulling on a lever), heated seats, Bluetooth, cruise control, and the myriad of necessities the modern driver requires, it just wouldn't be a truck anymore. GD

Sad but true. The above is why you can buy a real 4x4 on most of planet earth, but not in America. A Jeep, and maybe an FJ, is all that is left here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

It's a work in progress. We don't have any real hard off road stuff around me and I have a company truck, so this jeep is perfect for hunting, taking the kids fishing and any other outdoor recreation in my area. I would like to take a trip to the mountains pretty soon, maybe this summer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Pete E

[Linked Image]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that?
I

Ive been looking for one of the old wagons...

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.