Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My 11 year old son is looking to get himself a decent set of binoculars. Rather than go cheap, he is going to spend a bit more (a ton for him), to get quality. He only has 300 max. We spent the day looking at Vortex Diamondbacks, Nikon Monarch 3's and 5's, Zeiss Terra's, and Leupold...can't remembers. It's hard to tell in Cabelas, but it seemed the Nikon Monarch 5's were the sharpest and brightest of this bunch.

Any other recommendations we should also consider? Obviously, sharpness is important, but low light is also really important.

And if anyone has experience with all of these (Muledeer, Doug!), please feel free to share!

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141034607320

These are quality made Japanese optics that would last him for many years

Last edited by 338rcm; 04/26/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't tried them yet, but I hear good things about the Vanguard Endeavors. They'd be near the top of my list of binos to try in that price range. Tons of good reviews around, and well under $300.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too am interested in this topic

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have a pair of Leupold Mojave BX3 8x42 that I have only looked through them in the yard and would take $300 shipped. Cant beat Leupold's warranty smile

Do the Best that you Can do until you Can do Better.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the Vanguard Endeavor EDs and the Zen Ray ZRS and would recommend both.
Used them side by side with Swaros and Leicas and they compared much better than I figured they would.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think my Nikon Monarchs are excellent for the price and beat the Pentax I was using by miles. I've side-by-side compared the Nikons with Zeiss and Swaros and found they compare favorably in sharpness and brightness, as well as contrast. I've not compared them to Zeiss in dim light, but have with Swaros, and the Nikons did well.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 338rcm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141034607320

These are quality made Japanese optics that would last him for many years

Just buy these!!! I couldn't find a deal on them anywhere so I settled for the Grand Slam version, they are VERY nice, the Super Slam is NOTICEABLY better.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have the diamondback 10x42's. I've used them for hunting for several seasons now. Have spotted caribou from 1600+ yards with them. For the $200 they cost I find them hard to beat. To be fair I've not had the chance to play with a lot in that price range. So take it with a grain of salt.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for all the suggestions! Those Weavers look heavily discounted, from what I can see. I'll have to read up on them.

I saw some nice Meopro's on CLNY, they also had some Minox, but there are so many models there, I don't know much about them.

Anyone have any idea on Meopro's vs Monarch 5's?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take with a heaping of salt, but here's a bino comparo...

Bino Link

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I had an opportunity most don't get in a field situation.. We were on a bear hunt on a boat in PWS in Alaska and had a number of different optics all in the 8x24 range some 10s and 9s from cabelas (mine)to monarchs to ziess to swaro and even had two pair of Leicas!!! we had "low light" conditions for an extended period of time and sat all the glass out and kept comparing... I didn't see a HUGE difference in most any of them except the Leicas.... they were amazing, but the monarchs were just as clear as swaro as far as I was concerned.... now after a LONG day of glassing would say swaro, ziess and Leicas were by far better!!! for the money your talking I would worry about warranty type issues before anything... Leupy would be a SAFE bet!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I think my Nikon Monarchs are excellent for the price and beat the Pentax I was using by miles. I've side-by-side compared the Nikons with Zeiss and Swaros and found they compare favorably in sharpness and brightness, as well as contrast. I've not compared them to Zeiss in dim light, but have with Swaros, and the Nikons did well.

This is my experience also. Several years ago comparing my Zeiss Classics 10x42 to my friend's Monarchs. The Monarchs compared very favorably and I can only imagine they have gotten better.
Good for your son for spending a lot of money (for him) on good glass. They will last him a lifetime. I still have my UltraVision Bushnells my dad bought for my 12th birthday (almost 50 years ago).

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have the Vortex Talon HD 8x42 and continue to be impressed with the view. They are sharp and have good image contrast. I like them a lot more than the Vortex Diamondback. I think Doug at Cameraland has some demo or open box specials that are worth looking into.

Good luck and happy viewing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love my Monarchs. I also bought a pair of Bushy Legends and although the pair I bought were close to the Monarch 3's I like the Monarchs better and they are lighter than the Endevors. The Monarch 5's are impressive for the money.

My friends have had the expensive green ones stolen out of the truck two different times. Once while sitting in the restraunt, once at a rest stop. Expensive loss + windows!

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
When I looked at Cabelas, they had an eye chart on a far wall. Pretty good idea, it was as far off as you could be in the store. What I noticed is that with all of the ones I looked at, I don't think I could read any farther with any one over the other, not really. Sometimes one would look better than the other, then on second glance, it would switch.

What was different was the apparent brightness. The white paper 'popped' better with some over others, and the room seemed a little' brighter. So I assume, in lieu of actual low light testing, the brightest one is the one to choose. Under those conditions, three or four of us all thought the Monarch 5's were the brightest of the ones we tested in that price range.

I wish they had some Minox and Meopro's there, or those Super Slams. That would have been nice to try for comparison's sake.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Which Monarchs were these?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Skane,

Thanks for the response, are there any stores that you know of that carry this brand? I would like to have a look through for comparison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.