Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by byc

That's where you're 100% wrong. Again, I admire your work but anything you can do with that outhouse I can do and MORE with the BGE.

And don't even get me started on the use of propane, which would eliminate you from the real pit masters of competition.

LOL. I dont recall ever stating I have any desire to enter a pit masters competition. That is a straw argument you invented (no doubt for theatrics) As to you being able to do anything with an egg I can do with my smokehouse is interesting. Can you show me the pictures of 6, 15 pound sides of bacon hanging in your grill? How about 50 pounds of summer sausage sticks hanging in your grill or 50 pounds of 28 inch long hot sticks hanging in your grill? You said you can do all of that AND MORE so I look forward to the pictures you are about to post.

That must be one huge grill. Can I ask what you paid for it? I know what I paid form my smoker. I would be interested in hearing what your huge grill cost (as well as all the required accessories.)

GB1

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Pretty sure DIYguy can put more chitt in his than you can.

Left yerself open fer dat.

Denny.

I know right? Shear volume alone says enough not to mention the hanging headroom for long sausages, bacon sides, summer as well as the 10 tier racks. Why he hopes to manufacture a competition between his grill and my smoker after reading through my smoker build seems odd but this is the interweb and contests for who has the biggest weiner abound. I think its funny.

Last edited by DIYguy; 05/01/14.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by byc
That's where you're 100% wrong. Again, I admire your work but anything you can do with that outhouse I can do and MORE with the BGE.

Pretty sure DIYguy can put more chitt in his than you can.

Left yerself open fer dat.

Denny.

Of course he can but whoever said I only had one ceramic cooker? For me. this is not about quantities or making quota but rather a single finished product. But hey if you want to go with quantities I can fit a fair amount of pig or whatever in a dozen or so ceramic cookers. And through creative means can actually stack the pig pretty high.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DIYguy
Originally Posted by byc

And don't even get me started on the use of propane, which would eliminate you from the real pit masters of competition.

LOL. I dont recall ever stating I have any desire to enter a pit masters competition. That is a straw argument you invented (no doubt for theatrics) As to you being able to do anything with an egg I can do with my smokehouse is interesting. Can you show me the pictures of 6, 15 pound sides of bacon hanging in your grill? How about 50 pounds of summer sausage sticks hanging in your grill or 50 pounds of 28 inch long hot sticks hanging in your grill? You said you can do all of that AND MORE so I look forward to the pictures you are about to post.

That must be one huge grill. Can I ask what you paid for it? I know what I paid form my smoker. I would be interested in hearing what your huge grill cost (as well as all the required accessories.)

Why does cooker costs matter or have to do with anything it? I certainly never mentioned nor defended costs.

Also, not looking for an argument and I certainly didn't fire the first stone. Rather just threw the rock back over over the fence with a value added little message/challenge to your "BGE only being a grill" claim. I never said I could fit as much into ONE BGE as you can your shrimp shack. So, move off quantities and focus on the menu and I will start cooking tomorrow. But be prepared to receive a retaliation menu.

Oh. and if you do want to focus on quantities I am up for the Pepsi challenge but my investment in the number of cookers is not relevant. It's a choice. Happy to crank all 12 up and match your yield. grin

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy there big fella.

Originally Posted by byc

And through creative means can actually stack the pig pretty high.

Wait a minute!!! An eggstacker the newest eggcessery !!!! grin

Denny.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
David,First butt on my medium later this week after brining and injection. Wish me luck. Gonna try some new slaw for sammies as well. yum!!

Denny

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
troublemaker!! laugh

Am I invited for the newbie!? I may just come btw. cool

BTW I'll have to look up just how much cooking space the new EggZilla offers up. I understand it's pretty dramatic and just might rival some of these stick and/or propane uprights. Also, I hear Primo is coming out with a 4-6 foot oval with hydros.

Last edited by byc; 05/01/14. Reason: there's a new egg Sheriff in town

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butt marinated in 'shine. your call.

Denny

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
some of these bad boys are pretty big btw. I saw one at the Hyatt in Hawaii that was 9 feet tall and had hydraulics for hinges.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Who is the blonde? smile

Next time I am 'back east' there will be an inspection tour!

You egg-worshiper!!! laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm pretty confident in stating that the EGG will produce a much more succulent yard bird compared from the pics of DIY's overly smoked bird that come outta The Outhouse

For sausages and cheese ... Ya

For fine dining ... Nay

Just my .02

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by byc
Why does cooker costs matter or have to do with anything it? I certainly never mentioned nor defended costs.

Also, not looking for an argument and I certainly didn't fire the first stone. Rather just threw the rock back over over the fence with a value added little message/challenge to your "BGE only being a grill" claim. I never said I could fit as much into ONE BGE as you can your shrimp shack. So, move off quantities and focus on the menu and I will start cooking tomorrow. But be prepared to receive a retaliation menu.

Oh. and if you do want to focus on quantities I am up for the Pepsi challenge but my investment in the number of cookers is not relevant. It's a choice. Happy to crank all 12 up and match your yield. grin

I�ll ask again since you have tucked tail and run from the questions. As to you being able to do anything with an egg I can do with my smokehouse is interesting. Can you show me the pictures of 6, 15 pound sides of bacon hanging in your grill? How about 50 pounds of summer sausage sticks hanging in your grill or 50 pounds of 28 inch long hot sticks hanging in your grill? You said you can do all of that AND MORE so I look forward to the pictures you are about to post.

And yes cost is relevant. If you need to buy 12 of those overpriced grills (and none of them will let you provide us with pictures of 6, 15 pound sides of bacon hanging or 50 pounds of summer sausage sticks hanging or 50 pounds of 28 inch long hot sticks hanging in your grill) then I understand your desire to want to shy away from talk of price/value. LOL Your claim was you could do anything my smoker could do and more. I will wait for the pictures of your claim.

Mine is a smoker. I do not claim it to be anything but a smoker even if I can use it for cooking. I did not construct it to be anything but a smoker. I built it with height/headroom and capacity as primary criteria. Yours is a grill/cooker that will produce smoke but wont allow you to hang the meaty delights or capacity of my single unit (causing you to WAY over spend to try to stay on par).

I live in the frozen North and my home came with an oven so I have no reason to go outside and shovel a path to my smoker to bake breads and pies. Mine is a smoker and its menu is vast and appropriate for the design intent which is cold and hot smoking and all at a unit cost far far less than your grill. (I have a grill as well)

Last edited by DIYguy; 05/02/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Let's talk smoking in large quantities

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... welcome to my smoke shack grin

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, that is a smoker. That is not an overpriced grill. In comparison to my family up north. Mine is very small scale. Their smokehouses are just that, multiple free standing buildings dedicated to vast quantities of smoked delights. No Quiche or bread or pies or pizza or foil pans of veggies in oil will be found in our smokers. Like me, they operate smokers to smoke stuff and like me they also own grills and ovens for "cooking". grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who's next ?

Batter up,...........

HEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO out there in eggville.

And by default I declare the winner to beeeeeee,.......

Denny.

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, the passionate hoard of big green avocado owners must once again try to tell us why spending what they did on a grill provides them with moral superiority. It�s a fine grill (even if way overpriced). It will cook and grill some good eats and if your house does not have an oven/range and if you don�t already own a grill, then I suppose it is a must have. wink

But I needed a dedicated smoker so I built a smoker, not an oven or grill or a �cooker� ???? Im seeing the big green avocado owners are a passionate and emotional lot that seem to want to justify over paying for a grill in an almost type of religion or cultish fashion. Its funny as hell. grin grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tread lightly friend. I own a bBGE as well. grin

I'm just not an armband wearing goose stepping fanatical member of the BGE bund,yet. grin

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Like I said, I have no issue with the grill/oven/cooker itself. (aside from them charging far more for such a device than it warrants) Im just enjoying the cultish overzealousness that you correctly label �an armband wearing goose stepping fanatical BGE bund� and their lame attempts to brand it a smoker. A Bundt cake and pie oven yes, a burger and weeny grill, yes, a cooktop surface to heat all manner of hipster foods. Sure Still waiting on the pics I asked for when I was told the Eggy thing can do everything my smoker does �AND MORE� LOL FAIL! grin

Just keeping it real. Your going to have to get an umbrella because its raining cold hard facts up in here. wink

Plus its a rainy Friday and I like to tweek cultists.

Tomorrow I will be SMOKING 30 pounds of LONG sausage in my SMOKER.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
DIY-

Do you have an estimate of time invested in that build? Looks like more than a weekend!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
DIY-

Do you have an estimate of time invested in that build? Looks like more than a weekend!

It was a father/son design build experience that did not �cost� time but actually �Enhanced� time or added value rather than detract value. Its sort of like being given a gift of time. My son (when he was much younger) came up with the idea of the crescent moon on old Smokey #1 and he thought it fitting to again place a crescent moon on Old Smokey #2. If I could do it over again, I only wish it would have taken more time to build.

Imagine an artist completing a work and being asked �how long did that take?� His answer should be �Who the hell cares? I enjoyed every minute of it.� One thing my projects and hobbies NEVER include is a time clock.

Im often asked when I complete a project �how long did that take?� as if time spent is a proper unit of measure when these activates add so much joy to one�s life. The joy is in the doing. If you were granted a wish to resurrect a lost loved one for only a limited time and then when they left you , it would surely be an odd question for somebody to ask, �How long did that take?� The answer would be, �Not long enough�. We had a hell of a fun time crafting this thing together. So my answer is �not long enough�

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,848
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.