Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 35 36
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
When combining all thing the 7MM Rem Mag sits pretty much at the top of the pile when we look at hunting cartridges.

Many do not understand how to use the reach it offers and are just as well off with lesser round but that hardly changes the facts.

While the .270 Win is a fine cartridge, for short to moderate range, it falls short of the 7mm Rem Mag. The idea that some can't use the extra reach of the 7mm Rem Mag is really not a valid argument.

Facts are stubborn things.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJY66
Well, if we are all honest, there is a ridiculous amount of overlap and redundancy in the cartridge world. Lets face it, if you own a 22 rimfire for small game, a 30-06 for big game, and an "elephant rifle" for large dangerous animals, you are pretty darn well equipped for hunting this planet. Everything else is for entertainment purposes. There are so many cartridges that can do everything the 110 year old 30-06 can do and nothing it can't that it is almost mind boggling to me that they exist. A lot of people have a lot of money to spend on guns.....not saying that is a bad thing, actually quite the opposite! laugh

This is more true today than it was when the 7mm mag was introduced, but it doesn't negate the fact that the 7mm mag was cutting edge redundant...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
While the .270 Win is a fine cartridge, for short to moderate range, it falls short of the 7mm Rem Mag. The idea that some can't use the extra reach of the 7mm Rem Mag is really not a valid argument.

I won't argue against the 7RM, but a .277 150gr VLD at 3k or so ain't anything to sneeze at. Even past "moderate" range.

I agree and am not sneezing, but the fact remains that the 7MM Rem Mag will out reach the .270 Win. My point is the 7MM Rem Mag sit at the balance point between recoil and killing power.

A good man with a good hunting rifle can reliably hit big game at ranges that the .270 Win cannot be depended upon to deliver reliable bullet performance.

Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
When combining all thing the 7MM Rem Mag sits pretty much at the top of the pile when we look at hunting cartridges.

Many do not understand how to use the reach it offers and are just as well off with lesser round but that hardly changes the facts.

JohnBurns, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what facts would put a 7mm Rem Mag at the top of the pile over other 7mm cartridges with similar performance? Let's say as compared to .280 AI or 7mm WM or 7mm WSM? Thank you.

The Rem Mag comes in the best wrapper for the performance.

Brass availability for all three falls behind the Rem and the WSM needs a long action to run a proper throat for VLDs.

All three offer similar ballistic potential but bring logistical issues to the situation. It gets to splitting hairs but then that is what happens when we objectively compare cartridges. Lots of very good cartridges but few "great" or "best in class" cartridges.

Of course this is all just my opinion but it does make for an interesting Campfire discussion.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like all the 7's including the 7 Rem. Magnum, but he do have a point.

For the hunting I do, it's certainly overkill.

The older I get, the less I like a 26" bbl. and I never liked them much to begin with.

I've never thought the cartridge was bad recoil wise.

JM

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah the 7mm Weatherby (and 7mm STW) are definitely more cartridge--and can safely get the velocities originally published for the 7mm Remington Magnum when it was introduced. Though those velocities were from 26" barrels, they were also at higher pressure levels than today.

Was working up some loads for my 7mm Wby. a couple weeks ago, and with listed charges of Norma powder got 3300 fps with the 160-grain Partition. But there were slight ejector-hole marks on a couple of cases, so I'm backed it down to around 3200, the max velocity listed by Norma.

That still beats any 7mm Remington Magnum I've loaded for, including the one I own right now. To tell the truth, the only reason I own a 7mm Remington is because of writing about handloading: Any handloading writer who deals with modern rifle cartridges has to own one, because every rifle manufacturer in the world includes it in their line-up. But I've never been wild about it.

Jack O'Connor pointed out that the 7mm RM's real-world ballistics didn't beat the .270 by a significant amount back in the 1960's and 70's, so what Petzal says is nothing new.

My friend John Haviland tells a funny 7mm RM story on himself. John says the csrtridge was so popular in the 1970's when he worked for a local sawmill, every worker was issued a hard-hat and a 7mm Remington Magnum. He had to have one too, and loaded it with Speer 160-grain bullets and a load the Speer manual said got over 3000 fps. And by golly it killed deer, black bears and elk really well in the steep. timbered mountains around Missoula.

A few years later John got his first chronograph, and discovered his magic 7mm RM load was getting about 2700 fps, about like a hot 7x57 handload. Apparently there's something magic about the 7x57 as well....

Happend to re-read that article (Handloader) a while back. Quite humorous.
The sad thing is, they all traded in, what I'm sure were some fine 06's to get the Magnums.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And a decade a bunch of Montana guys traded in their "Sevens" to get new .300 WSM's!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Geez Louise....are we flogging a very dead horse here! Tens of millions of 7mm RM are out there every hunting season. Why would they get traded off for 270 Winchesters or some over caliber unless the hunter just prefers to get a new rifle

Last edited by idahoguy101; 05/04/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
And a decade a bunch of Montana guys traded in their "Sevens" to get new .300 WSM's!

If one can avoid the "Got to have its', there is far less regret down the Road.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Isn't it time to here from the Mashburn Magnum guys?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY

If one can avoid the "Got to have its', there is far less regret down the Road.

That's sig-line worthy right there. A 308 will do all most of us need doin', but their ain't no flies on a fast seven, if you are a good enough rifleman to take advantage of those high BC bullets. I just don't care for belts.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Royce
Petzal writing about guns and/or hunting is like Bill Clinton writing about monogamy.
He wrote a review of a book about the Benoits once saying how the Benoits were the real deal because they never used gadgets like GPSs. If he had opened the book, he would have seen they had a chapter in the book on how they use GPS and which ones they liked best.
Another article Petzal wrote was about the ten best gunsmiths in the country. One on his "top Ten" was a fella that had butchered up several rifles of people I know and a couple of my own guns. One 35 Whelen the man rebarrelled would not shoot better than a 4inch group with handloads, factory loads, with me and others shooting it.
The same "top Ten" smith did a trigger job on two odel 70 Winchesters for a fellow I worked with, and when they came back, one of them could be made to discharge by tapping the butt of the rifle on the floor.

Two columns with bad advice out of....a thousand? Peztal is a writer, not a prophet! he's paid to be opinionated

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Writers need something to write about.

or they have nothing to write about and are unemployed.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Petzal's MO is stirring the pot. I've seen him make the same sort of disparaging comments about 270 owners as are made here.

Now he says this. Seems pretty clear to me.

Everything I've heard about him from guys like JB says he is a lot like some of us... He enjoys making comments that get peoples' goats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always recall my Grandfather buying a 7mm Rem mag, and pronouncing the recoil terrible. So he traded it for a 264 mag, in a pre-64 M70. I'm not sure how much less kick the 264 has, but he kept it until he passed.

The 7mm RM to me is another one of those calibers that is good as you find it; I might not go out of my way to build one, but if I stumble across an interesting rifle in the caliber, it's not a turnoff, either. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with the 90% argument is the best trophy of your life will require the extra 10%.

That extra 10% is why the 300 Weatherby Magnum will be chosen by serious hunters for a long time.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
just writing so someone can pay him.

For me, the one I"d never have is a 270 ever, though I did win one...

No huge reason, just hate the round...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"serious hunters"

See, thats the kinda funny crap people spew

Almost to Grizzly bears laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I look at the 7mm Remmy as a .257 Bee with heavier bullet options.

Where the .257 stops at 120 grains, the Remmy is just getting started, so if you load 110gn or 120gn Barnes bullets you get a little more speed for the same bullet weights and have heavier bullets if you want them for larger game.

Not sure how anyone could like the .257 and not like the 7mm Remington for the same reasons. The .30/06 can be built in a lighter platform with 22 inch barrel which is great for mountain hunting or long treks and the Remington is great for ridge to ridge shots or equally at home slamming 175 grainer's into big game at any reasonable distance or more, if you are into those HPBT javelins.

I have used them all and like them all.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
The problem with the 90% argument is the best trophy of your life will require the extra 10%.

That extra 10% is why the 300 Weatherby Magnum will be chosen by serious hunters for a long time.

The problem really is that the trophy of a lifetime will be 10% outside of the "range" of whatever you are carrying. So maybe a 50BMG would be the best cartridge. If the animal is outside of that range then it probably will be in a different state or country. The real best solution is to get closer. That is what HUNTING is about.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Yeah, the 300 Weatherby has that extra 10% which implants the scope into the serious hunter's forehead.

Screw that noise.

300 Weatherbys are carried by a lot of dudes.

Page 3 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 17 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.