Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kirk - that is a sad tale about that '81 Marlin. I view it as ruined as well. I also see myself as the caretaker of my rifles. Someone owned them before me and someone will own them after me. I am one in a series of custodians. I feel a responsibility to care for them and not do something stupid to them. Hence, I don't adopt the philosophy of, "it' mine - I'll do whatever I want to it." I don't dispute someone's legal right in this regard, but I'll do my best to convince them otherwise. I find much of the time, pointing out that they are lowering the value works better than anything.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is all semantics about the word "collectors." Define that and each one will have his answer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are different levels of collectors also. Sure I would love a M21 Grand American to use for grouse but the fact is I will never be able to afford one. I wouldn't mind though finding a nice M21 20ga that had been re-fisnished and had the chokes opened up that I could actually afford. Same goes for M70's/

Someone mentioned cars. Again I would love a mint '70 Camero SS but it would never leave the garage. I would actually enjoy a nice one that may not be original but that I could drive on occassion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reelman
There are different levels of collectors also. Sure I would love a M21 Grand American to use for grouse but the fact is I will never be able to afford one. I wouldn't mind though finding a nice M21 20ga that had been re-fisnished and had the chokes opened up that I could actually afford. Same goes for M70's/

Someone mentioned cars. Again I would love a mint '70 Camero SS but it would never leave the garage. I would actually enjoy a nice one that may not be original but that I could drive on occassion.

Cars and guns were meant to be used and enjoyed. I have both and still use them. The idea that nice things are left unused in the safe or garage is a myth...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 05/07/14.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice cars, I don't see any pristine all original model 70's there though... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ever thought about Keystones?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not much of a car guy but that Goat is beautiful!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice cars, I don't see any pristine all original model 70's there though... whistle

Of course they are there and you knew it, but I will still take the bait. All are high condition low comb Model 70's. 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester 22 Hornet and 30-06. The swift hasn't been out enough to get the pictures...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Atta boy. I was expecting the table pic though laugh . I always love the double buck pic though. That one is very cool!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hmmm. I only own bubba'd ones and enjoy them immensely.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel: did you shoot the mulie in the eye?

And what's with the guy behind with a different buck in the same pic?

He has orange and you don't. ??

Questions. Questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M70FW, mfg in 1953, chambered in .308 WIN, 99% metal, but the varnish was flaking off - had a first class stock-smith strip the finish, restrike the checkering and rub a Tru-Oil finish on it - I like it!

[Linked Image]

M70FW, mfg in 1963, left the factory with a sloppy 30-06 SPRG chamber (early 1960's there was some bad fit and finish coming out of New Haven) - primers of factory ammo would back out upon firing. I thought about taking one thread off the barrel, but decided to make it a .270 WIN - Douglas barrel - I like it.

[Linked Image]

M70, mfg in 1961, chambered in 30-06 SPRG, had a plastic buttplate. When I was young and dumb I hunted way up in trees, sitting on little pieces of plywood I had nailed in anyway I could make them work. I sat and leaned against the truck - my rifle leaned against my shoulder with the plastic buttplate sitting on the plywood - I had to be careful that it wouldn't slip and fall - so I had a rubber pad installed in lieu of the buttplate - I still like it.

[Linked Image]

Not a M70, but a nice Winchester old shotgun made around 1937; locks tight, but was 60% blue when I got it - Stu Wright made it look new for me - I like it!

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Shrapnel: did you shoot the mulie in the eye?

And what's with the guy behind with a different buck in the same pic?

He has orange and you don't. ??

Questions. Questions.

Here is another picture. My son and I shot these 2 bucks about 20 yards apart. I took the orange off for the picture. I did shoot the buck through the back of the head and it came out his eye...

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Pre '64 M 70 .300 H&H with a Leupold 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heretofore I was reluctant to post this pre-64 Model 70, because it started out as a 270 Winchester then reworked into a 7x57 by a Wisconsin master metalsmith, Emil Koshollek.

Thanks to all for the reinforcement that this forum is for all Winchester enthusiasts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Not sure if it's been over cleaned, but it has not been refinished or modified in any way - so it should Kosher for the "Winchester Collectors� forum smile
[Linked Image]
Think this baby could bring down a big buck?

Last edited by Gusb; 05/08/14.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Got a factory letter on it? Could be humped up eek

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Let me add, even without a letter it would make a fine hunter. Up to medium sized deer I would say.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
And, don't let anyway talk you into sending it to Turnbull. It is fine as it sits.

And no, I'm not working on my post count. I just don't think real fast. This is why I like the internet. In real life people have left the room by the time I think of what to day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gusb
Not sure if it's been over cleaned, but it has not been refinished or modified in any way - so it should Kosher for the "Winchester Collectors� forum smile
[Linked Image]
Think this baby could bring down a big buck?

I think it is a fantastic Stillson wrench that will bring more money than any Rigid I have ever seen. Nice find and thanks for posting! very best WinPoor

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.