Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Odessa
M70FW, mfg in 1953, chambered in .308 WIN, 99% metal, but the varnish was flaking off - had a first class stock-smith strip the finish, restrike the checkering and rub a Tru-Oil finish on it - I like it!

[Linked Image]

M70FW, mfg in 1963, left the factory with a sloppy 30-06 SPRG chamber (early 1960's there was some bad fit and finish coming out of New Haven) - primers of factory ammo would back out upon firing. I thought about taking one thread off the barrel, but decided to make it a .270 WIN - Douglas barrel - I like it.

[Linked Image]

M70, mfg in 1961, chambered in 30-06 SPRG, had a plastic buttplate. When I was young and dumb I hunted way up in trees, sitting on little pieces of plywood I had nailed in anyway I could make them work. I sat and leaned against the truck - my rifle leaned against my shoulder with the plastic buttplate sitting on the plywood - I had to be careful that it wouldn't slip and fall - so I had a rubber pad installed in lieu of the buttplate - I still like it.

[Linked Image]

Not a M70, but a nice Winchester old shotgun made around 1937; locks tight, but was 60% blue when I got it - Stu Wright made it look new for me - I like it!

[Linked Image]

Everyone of your guns are something to be mighty proud of BUT that Douglas barrel 270 is milky tits! Wow what nice wood, every Douglas barrel I have owned shot better than me as well! very best, keep the photos coming....WinPoor

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
M70FW, mfg in 1953, chambered in .308 WIN, 99% metal, but the varnish was flaking off - had a first class stock-smith strip the finish, restrike the checkering and rub a Tru-Oil finish on it - I like it!

[Linked Image]

M70FW, mfg in 1963, left the factory with a sloppy 30-06 SPRG chamber (early 1960's there was some bad fit and finish coming out of New Haven) - primers of factory ammo would back out upon firing. I thought about taking one thread off the barrel, but decided to make it a .270 WIN - Douglas barrel - I like it.

[Linked Image]

M70, mfg in 1961, chambered in 30-06 SPRG, had a plastic buttplate. When I was young and dumb I hunted way up in trees, sitting on little pieces of plywood I had nailed in anyway I could make them work. I sat and leaned against the truck - my rifle leaned against my shoulder with the plastic buttplate sitting on the plywood - I had to be careful that it wouldn't slip and fall - so I had a rubber pad installed in lieu of the buttplate - I still like it.

[Linked Image]

Not a M70, but a nice Winchester old shotgun made around 1937; locks tight, but was 60% blue when I got it - Stu Wright made it look new for me - I like it!

[Linked Image]

BIG thumbs up on those beautiful rifles and shotgun. VERY NICE buddy!!!! cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Heretofore I was reluctant to post this pre-64 Model 70, because it started out as a 270 Winchester then reworked into a 7x57 by a Wisconsin master metalsmith, Emil Koshollek.

Thanks to all for the reinforcement that this forum is for all Winchester enthusiasts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very classy 7x57. I really like that one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice wood, Ed!

Everyone has seen my .30-06 Featherweight. Bought for $700 because of the recoil pad addition. smile

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Odessa,

Nice collection you have. Those two FWTs are really nice.

And glad all you heathens post your misfits here. Gives me so many ideas beyond boring original. grin

Last edited by battue; 05/08/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me, too. Looks like ol' balltown has moved on to rub shoulders with a higher class group.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He will need good luck finding that. grin

Anyway, I'm sure the majority will have no problems with him joining in if he chooses to do so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Battue: no doubt he would be welcome. He'd likely be more welcome if he dismounted from his high horse grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Users have been personalizing firearms since they were touching them off with a wick. It is the nature of the beast.

I remember reading about a Winchester that went for around $500,000. From shell casings housed at the Smithsonian, it was authenticated to have been used by an Indian at the Battle of the Little Big Horn. He had pounded a bunch of tacks into the stock. I liked his style and it looked pretty cool from the pics. smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think enthusiasm is a very good thing. If someone else feels enthusiastic about their gun, I am all for them. Rifles mean a lot to me. They have since I was a small boy. As a hunter, shooter, collector... it's not difficult for me to relate to someone else's excitement about their rifle. The rifles in themselves, as objects mean nothing. It's the attachments we have to them, the way we use them, their history and so on. In that vein, safe queens are at the dull end of the continuum. Still, if you live within ten miles of me and call me up and want me to look at your NIB pre-64 M70 Super Grade Carbine in 9mm with the hang tags and the original receipt... I think I can muster up the energy to come over and take a glance at it wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Me being the odd ball, but rarity in and of itself wouldn't make me interested in that particular example. Now the one carried by that Indian fellow? I would have little hesitation in going much further to see.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by battue
Me being the odd ball, but rarity in and of itself wouldn't make me interested in that particular example. Now the one carried by that Indian fellow? I would have little hesitation in going much further to see.

I just said I'd be willing to glance at it wink

But yes, seeing that 1876 Winchester would be a big treat. My own preference is for rifles built from the 1870's through the early 1900's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeas ago in Taos, MN there was a display that supposedly was of one of Jim Bridgers last Hawkins and a saddle he used. Often wondered how they knew.

The rifle looked to be in excellent shape. Would like to carry that just one day on a hunt.
In fact, any original Hawkin would be a great day.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Battue: no doubt he would be welcome. He'd likely be more welcome if he dismounted from his high horse grin

I prefer to own guns I don't have to make excuses for...nor come up with all the worn-out reasons as to why I have them like so many of you always seem to point out....any way you spin it some of the junk guns people like to talk up, even post pictures of, are still just that-junk...

Why not focus, instead, on getting the forum back on track toward Collector examples of Winchesters instead of "personalized" examples of what once were nice guns?

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure you are familiar with the old line re junk and treasure. Found this one a few years back and it was a treasure. I.E. original stock, hardly used in years, few disparaging marks, etc, etc. You get it.

Promptly turned it into a piece of usable junk that did what it was made to do.

First order of business was to remove this. For now anyway; Odessa has me thinking I may have it spruced up a little. You know a nice dull polyurethane oil duplication that will hold up. Like it should have been done originally, but was of such poor quality and application that it never had a chance.

Have a nice red W correct pad installed. That plate sometimes slides on the shoulder under recoil, and can mess with a follow up shot if need. Ok for the times, but there are better ways to do things now.

Bedding? Free float or Neutral full length? Hmmm, I'm leaning to NFL, you have any suggestions?

Does practical ever have it place? Just asking, don't take offense.

[Linked Image]

Then we junked it up. Cover your eyes, cover your eyes!!!! Knew you couldn't. smile

[Linked Image]

Then quickly discovered it would do this pretty much on the first try. Certainly not a campfire .5 all day rifle, but I figured that juuuuust maybe I could make it work.

[Linked Image]

Soooo, Out it went into the real world for three seasons. Two of them below.

[Linked Image]

Little wet and there is probably some hair in the magazine, but it's a piece of _ _ _ _. More than a few words will fit, so please feel free to grade its current status within the context of your extensive knowledge and acknowledged respect of all things Winchester. Doubt if you can hurt my feelings, so don't hold back

[Linked Image]

Anyway, welcome back and would really like to see some pics of your pristine examples in the field on the hunt. You know something along the lines of Shraps posts. That's some really good stuff so don't be shy. We're a pretty loose group of Winchester followers and I'm thinking that is not about to change.

Addition: After looking at this last pic, I'm leaving it as is. Damn nice piece of junk. Perhaps some Lakota or Cheyenne is looking down and saying "I like his style." grin

Last edited by battue; 05/09/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by balltownbob
Originally Posted by southtexas

I prefer to own guns I don't have to make excuses for...nor come up with all the worn-out reasons as to why I have them like so many of you always seem to point out....any way you spin it some of the junk guns people like to talk up, even post pictures of, are still just that-junk...

Why not focus, instead, on getting the forum back on track toward Collector examples of Winchesters instead of "personalized" examples of what once were nice guns?

Well, looks like that ain't gonna happen. You this pompous in person, too?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Balltownbob, Dam if the only thing you and I agree on is the fact that' life is to short to smoke cheap cigars'!
You act like your collection would put Mr Roger Rules' collection on the back row. Model 70's are like cattle, there is a place for each and everyone, not all can be the pretty girls 'show calf'.
So welcome to the 'real world' where we can all be proud of whatever we have to share here. I still get tickled when I see a super nice transition in great shape with a GD compass stuck in the comb! very best WinPoor

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I enjoy the Winchester Collector category just the way it is, a place where the majority of posters tolerate the diversity of interests in collecting all models of Winchester firearms. Newbies were encouraged by the old hands and post count was irrelevant. Then along comes an individual to muck things up, calling a newbie a troll because of post count while acting like a troll himself. Kinda hypocritical don't ya think?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are 50+ year old rifles. They don't all remain in mint condition.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,535 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.