Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We all need to lighten up, It may be this guys 'time of the month' or he may be 'going thru the change' LOL....Its all good very best winpoor

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can't see for the life of me understand why there isn't room for everyone who wants to be here? When you log-in, just don't click on those threads that are not of interest. For example, my post about the RIA pre-64's - in the title of the thread I indicated they were, "reblued." If someone has no interest in reblued rifles why give that thread a second thought? When I come here I don't open every thread - and I'm not angry because there are threads here that don't seem relevant to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is room and it will remain so. Have fun, life's to short not to.... Hmmmmm???? Oh, never mind. smile

Last edited by battue; 05/09/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is room for you all in my world - I just like old rifles and shotguns - if it is original and pristine then that is cool and I want to look it over. On the other hand, if someone changed out the butt plate for a recoil pad or had the bolt jewelled then that is fine with me too - original Winchester's were USED by the men who bought them, just like we do with them today. I bought a brand new, 20 year old, Browning Auto-5 Magnum Twelve a couple of years ago to duck and goose hunt with - I KNOW I "lost value" by taking it out of the box and hunting with it - hell, my childern can worry about that at the estate sale - I buy them to use and enjoy. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

Well, looks like that ain't gonna happen. You this pompous in person, too?

Actually the three friends I have would tell you I am not at all pompous.... smile

My only point is this Forum's title has the word Collector in it...much of the stuff posted has nothing to do with collector guns...sorry I stepped on so many toes...that was not my intent...

And Mr. Battue: I usually don't take pics of me and dead animals....my journal does quite well reminding me of my days afield...if you'd like to see my Winchester accumulation I'd be happy to have you stop by at my place in Forest County. Drop me a line to make sure I'm going to be around...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Based on some level of experience, I think in the strictest sense, the definition of the term, "collector" could be, "path to unhappiness." When you are a collector, your focus is on finding something wrong with something. Someone hands you a piece (or posts a picture) the first thing you automatically do is look for flaws. Believe me, I've experienced my share of this mentality, and continue to do so to some degree. Perfectionism and collector easily go hand in hand. People who are perfectionists are not known for their happiness either.

I've noticed the majority of the guys around here tend to look for the positives in a rifle. The fact that they can feel enthused about something with imperfections, flaws or, "character" makes me want to come back smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boltman
Based on some level of experience, I think in the strictest sense, the definition of the term, "collector" could be, "path to unhappiness." When you are a collector, your focus is on finding something wrong with something. Someone hands you a piece (or posts a picture) the first thing you automatically do is look for flaws. Believe me, I've experienced my share of this mentality, and continue to do so to some degree. Perfectionism and collector easily go hand in hand. People who are perfectionists are not known for their happiness either.

I've noticed the majority of the guys around here tend to look for the positives in a rifle. The fact that they can feel enthused about something with imperfections, flaws or, "character" makes me want to come back smile

I like your post boltman, but I think it's not just "feeling enthused about something with imperfections", it's more like what battue said about making something a little better. We all know the stocks (finish and checkering) on the pre 64's could have been better coming out of the factory. Heck, throw a McMillan on one like I did my pristine 270 fwt and call it a day. Glass bed them so they shoot lights out too. Life's too short to shoot/hunt a rifle that doesn't drive tacks and look good doing it wink. Hell, I wouldn't own a magnum pre 64 that wasn't properly glass bedded just because they are known for splitting stocks. Some things are detrimental to a collectors eyes, but if you are going to use them, certain things need to be done to make them better...Why do you think they started putting cross bolts in the 375's and 458's...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No problem, but pics are an accepted medium on the fire for a variety of reasons. Yet many don't post them and seem to enjoy their time here.

I'm up your way Grouse hunting often, but will probably not bother you.

Anyway, I'm would think perhaps you may be familiar with the Winchester Collectors Association. Seems to be more in line with what you find interesting. If you are not familiar with the WCA it may be a more productive use of your time; instead of engaging in a crusade to change us here.

Here is the WCA link if by chance you are not familiar with it. http://winchestercollector.org

They seem to have it all and will probably spend a little time looking around there myself.

However, don't ever hesitate to join in if you have something interesting. Makes no difference if it collector quality or not. These are Winchester guys to the core and they would like to see it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree Battue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I agree Battue.

+1

Excellent points.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by balltownbob
I'm going to say what a lot of other members here are thinking....no true M70 enthusiast has any interest in guns that have been refinished, re-chambered, re-barreled or in any way been rendered non-original...

Modified guns are Winchester only by virtue that at one time they were original specimens...I think the original intent of this forum was to discuss/showcase factory-correct specimens and posters ought to refrain from putting up instances of what, in many cases, are junked-up examples of rifles. A worn original gun is far more interesting than a bubba'd up, refinished example, IMO, especially if in a rare cartridge...

How about the totally rusted up pre-64 I got from a dumbfu-k from Oregon that was totally useless for anything?, he said it shot great before I bought it.

Happy to report today it's been rerifled and rechambered to 338-06 and now sits in a rimrock syn stock with new bead blasted steel in a matte black cerakote finish.

With it's 1.75-6 Leupold in Leupold dual dovetail B&R's it weighs a good bit less than 8 lbs all up and fires 250 gr Swift-A-Frames into just over half inch groups at 100 yards.

Gunner

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Trash it Gunner,matter of fact I'll take off your hand for $10.00. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty generous offer elkhunternm, given he ruined a fine specimen of a character gun....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yeah,sometimes I just get that "help a fella out" feeling and just can't control myself.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Mr. Battue: Been a WACA member for many years and assume you are, too? I am quite sure many here are not members and I also wonder if they belong to the NRA...but that's another subject entirely.

Have to agree it is probably not a good idea for you to stop by on your grouse hunting forays...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Trash it Gunner,matter of fact I'll take off your hand for $10.00. smile

laugh, Thanks Ken and Boltman. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No I'm not a member of the WACA, but a life member of the NRA.

OK, but perhaps we will cross paths some time up that way. I'll probably say hi and go on my way. Usually will be in the company of a couple Bird Dogs and people of like persuasions. Good chance I'll be carrying a rat Win shotgun.

Once again, don't hesitate to post anything Winchester here. Pretty fine group of guys if you give them half a chance. They will nit pic now and then but that's about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think for a lot of folks they would rather have a non original Winchester than no Winchester at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'v posted these before so please bear with me. Point being that Winchester is bigger than pristine collector examples or firearms that have never been modified.

Two of the greatest Winchesters ever made.

The Model 12 in 16Gauge. I'm sure there are high end collector examples out there that get some excited. Unfortunately a Grouse hunter will have them looking like this in a few seasons. Needed shortened for my use, so it received a recoil pad. Wood finish was gone, so the right thing to do was give it some protection.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then there is the Model 59. Gets no love, but one of the greatest pure pointers that Winchester ever made. Would make little sense to pimp this one out either. Finish is going, so it will look different shortly. Will it being non original take away from its excellence in the Grouse Wood?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The above examples have been modified from original. I guess Bob thinks they don't deserve inclusion on the Winchester Collectors Forum. Well, I disagree.

The Winchester that few know about and every bit as good as the originals. It was a reproduction of another companies SxS. I don't know where Bob thinks it should go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 52 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.