-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you are going to make an exception for VINTAGE Poly-Chokes?? Right?? Hello??

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
Well, you are going to make an exception for VINTAGE Poly-Chokes?? Right?? Hello??

[Linked Image]

Ok, but I will set a limit on myself. I have a Remington eek with polychoke on it. Even though the shotgun and the polychoke are vintage (and not reblued) I'll not post a photo.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a few model 70's and dont find them to be that special,well maybe my Griffin &Howe 358 Featherweight! but to me real collectable Winchesters have a lever on em. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Loggah
I have a few model 70's and dont find them to be that special,well maybe my Griffin &Howe 358 Featherweight! but to me real collectable Winchesters have a lever on em. grin

Don - good to see you smile

I know you walk the talk on what you speak wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Loggah
........... real collectable Winchesters have a lever on em. grin

............... but DON'T say "XTR" on them. whistle

I think I'm pretty much up chit crick as a Winchester collector as per the new guidelines. frown

Guess I'll just become an accumulator. smirk

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Adios.

My 42 is a piss ripper. ((Texas slang for damn near new or minty).

My Govt issue 12 has a Cutts. I'm looking for a 12 ga barrel or front assembly. No good, although it shows little evidence of having shot much.

My prewar 70 has been drilled, padded, and worst of all, USED! Blasphemy!!

Money is not worth what it once was. Folks were not really into old guns when I was a kid. In about 53-54, I bought a nice SAA .38-40 from one of my uncles for $25 American money. I grew up on a farm, but dad allotted me a few acres to manage and reap any profits and I had a few head of livestock. Also did a little work for neighbors, if we were caught up, so I usually had a few dollars even as a teenager. Starting in 54, I had a regular job that paid $60 a month for about an hour's work five days a week. Talk about rich!

I shall try to refrain from looking at this site in the future, clearly I don't belong.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This thread makes me laugh! Let me tell you a story of my Dad, he hunted dove, quail and ducks ( big and little) meaning wood duck and teal then big ducks on big water ( lake Seminole) 37,500 ac that was filled up in 1957, by big I mean mallards, canvas backs, widgen etc. every day of season except Sunday. dad shot 16ga mod 12's he had a 4 barrel set but his favorite was a 26" full with a poly choke. He bought high brass 9's ( by the 20 box case) for early season home grown doves, 71/2 for Yankee( migratory dove) and high brass 5's for duck. All were red paperhull Winchester super X till federal came out with the plastic purplehull high brass and Callahan Grocery got them cheaper than the then plastic red super X high brass. I know the gun was sent back to Winchester twice for rebuild. Anyhow after an ejector broke on a hot dove field Mr McKenzie loaned him a Browning sweet 16 that was in his station wagon, the next day dad went to Bainbridge hardware and got Mrs Willis to order him a new Belgian made Sweet 16, 28 mod. Mrs Willis called when it came in and I was at the gas co ,dad and I rode over the river to pick the gun up. Man alive was the a beautiful gun, light blond wood! I was about 10 or 11. The very first thing we did when leaving the hardware store was go to Pops gunsmith, I cannot remember his name, but Dad threw the gun up to his shoulder 4 or 5 times and told him the length of the stock was perfect. Guess what happened next? The smith measured a Pachmeyer (sp.?) pad went to a table saw , fired it up after taking the butt plate off and sawed it off, fit the pad on , ground the edges off, sanded it smooth and set the friction rings on the mag. for high brass! I still have the gun and money could not buy it, the blue is about gone on the receiver, it took many a fine Sunday morning breakfast ,lunch or supper of game.
The moral of this story, these old guys were not worried about collecting 40, 50 years down the road! I will try and post a photo as Mr Insurance says I have or need to take a photo of every gun for their records.... those were the 'good old days'.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS, the gold on the trigger did not last a month AND last time I took it to a dove field it still kicks like a mule! I could always tell when Dad had been on a good shoot as his shoulder and sometimes a spot on upper arm was black ,blue then yellow, in his old age he went to Rem 1100 for that very reason,later he got a lite 20 ,1100 and sat back picked and his shots. very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 05/29/14. Reason: add photo
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But but I mostly collect beater winchesters to avoid the shame of modifying an origonal....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,127
Posts18,523,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.