Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...but there's one more tonight cool

Marcos is one of them kids that by rights should have crashed and burned a long time ago. Since he was five, back when she had custody, his mom would leave him alone for days at a time in charge of the younger kids in the house. Since then he bounced around through a series of foster homes and relatives' houses. Over the last couple of years I would sometimes drive him home from school to his aunt's, where he sort of lived, sometimes sleeping out in the yard when he was locked out. Since Middle School he has supported himself by buying candy and reselling to the other kids at school at a profit, and clothes of course were an odd assortment. When he was seventeen he was finally declared legally homeless.

What he did right all this time was have perfect attendance at school and know enough to accept the help of adults who would care about his welfare. An honors student, he is also active in a local church and has stuck with the Boy Scouts all this time. He's been staying at our house for a few months now, graduates next month.

....and he's an Eagle Scout cool

Birdwatcher

awesome story - the kid will make a difference in this world and you helped it

I've been asking my wife to start fostering for some time now but she is resistant to it. I think she is afraid we'll become to attached and want to adopt.

My son has scheduled his eagle project for August.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/09/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd spring for some help on that graduation gift. Need an address.

LOL
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good on you Birdy--and I know what you mean by it being a team effort.

Over the years I've had a bunch of young guys show up on the door step needing help in one form or another. You do what you can.

One of them is now a pharmasist and another is a heavy duty mechanic--families of their own and doing good. I can't take any credit for that--or else I'd have to take responsibility for the 2 that wound up as drug addicts living in a ditch.

You win some and you lose some

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Good on you Birdy--and I know what you mean by it being a team effort.

Over the years I've had a bunch of young guys show up on the door step needing help in one form or another. You do what you can.

One of them is now a pharmasist and another is a heavy duty mechanic--families of their own and doing good. I can't take any credit for that--or else I'd have to take responsibility for the 2 that wound up as drug addicts living in a ditch.

You win some and you lose some

so what do you do in your community where kids from troubled families show up at your place? is it church?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well done! Very well done!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

a kid like that needs some local press - someone should call the newspaper or TV to do a story on him - once people hear his story, something good will come from it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
OUTSTANDING!

Congrats to the young man, and those who helped guide him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good job.

I guess Hilary is right it does take a village to raise a child.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems to me like this young man could use a nice graduation gift. Just to reinforce that hard work pays off and that people care about him. Where can I send a donation?

Well hey, that came out of left field, tho' with this crowd I should have expected it cool

I took him to the mall a couple of weeks back and it was the FIRST time he had ever looked for shoes/sneaks without just buying the cheapest pair possible. Some of us are pitching in for his Senior Prom and Graduation.

This summer he's working for the Boy Scouts at camp so will have some disposable income to buy much-needed clothes. One problem has been him giving so much of what he gets to his scattered relatives. I ain't making this up; he originally started the candy sale thing in the first place to help pay for the funeral costs of a little sister born with a serious birth defect.

I'll PM all interested folks this evening with my address. I am interested in hearing any gift ideas. Something he wouldn't ordinarily buy for himself.

Thanks,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had six young men who could have fit your description go through our home. One turned out OK, five turned out to be some of the finest men you would want to know.

They all had reason to become whiners but not a one of them did.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been where you are a few times, and still am. But, I do not want to detract from your story. It is a good thing you do to help an innocent that has no others means.

I think those of us that have been through this, helping others, somehow end up reaping more benefit from knowing these folks then we provide to them. Friends for life, are priceless.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I owe you a beer or nine Birdwatcher

and please tell the other team members I appreciate their efforts as well. But most of all please tell that young man how his story has brightened the life of an old redneck all the way up in Alaska.
Don't even know the lad and I'm so very, very proud of him.

hope that young man has a bright future, and I can like his odds

amazing the resiliency of the human spirit

he provides quite the contrast to that young woman that was gonna sue her parents a while back

contrasts, she makes this kid look even better

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Bingo Fireball! What a great idea.

alright Birdman, ball's in your court, what does this kid need or want?

we ain't got much time to get this gig done.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good on you. I've seen similar examples over the years and those real pillars of society were most often those that had to really sacrifice to help out.

I wish that young man the best.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
alright Birdman, ball's in your court, what does this kid need or want?

We got thirty days to graduation, how about two weeks after tonight I tally up all funds collected and we decide.

One of the most useful things might be a driving school course.

Spring Break this is what happened....

We needed a copy of his birth certificate, the only picture ID he had was his school ID but his school records in the district go back 12 years so that was enough along with the picture ID to get a photocopy of said certificate.

We needed his birth certificate and high school ID to get him a social security card. He already had a number, just no card so after the records office downtown we drove over to the social security office.

We needed the birth certificate, the social security card, the picture ID and also me to sign-off that he was who he said he was to get him a state-issued ID. So next stop was DPS. He had NEVER had a picture ID other than his school ID card before.

He has driven off and on since he was nine, but not at all regular. 18 years old and he doesn't have a driver's license, a basic necessity for any American. The fastest and most guaranteed hassle-free way to get a license here is driving school. Beside which our cars are both manual transmissions.

Probably the most USEFUL gift we could get him is driving school, IIRC $300-$400. I'll find out.

Other than that, I'm open to ideas.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by science_guy
Seems to me like this young man could use a nice graduation gift. Just to reinforce that hard work pays off and that people care about him. Where can I send a donation?

Good Thought... Count me in.... Please PM some info

Here as well.....

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mink
I have been where you are a few times, and still am. But, I do not want to detract from your story. It is a good thing you do to help an innocent that has no others means.

I think those of us that have been through this, helping others, somehow end up reaping more benefit from knowing these folks then we provide to them. Friends for life, are priceless.

Well said.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Fortunately, acts of kindness of all sorts are common enough around the 'Fire, that I can tell this story without embarassment or affectation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
please send me your address via pm Birdy for contributing to this young man's grad gift.

obliged

would surprise me none to see the funds end up being enough to get the driving course and maybe something else.

all I can tell you for certain is that bunch of these rednecked, ignorant hillbillies flung far and wide that post here, have some pretty decent hearts within them

I like fun

this should be fun!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You and your lovely bride are good people, Mike.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.