Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Congrats on a great hunt.I still cannot believe you killed all that stuff with a 7mag grin

Ha! Ain't that the truth?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great stuff JG. Looks like you had a fantastic hunt. Outstanding trophies for a cull hunt! Many underestimate the mountain zebra. Extremely fun and underrated trophy animal. Like to hear your feed back on the 160 Accubonds. Thanks for sharing. 163bc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simply awesome!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks again, very cool about the pangolin!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JGRaider

HEY INGWE........I remember last year giving you a ration of crap over your comments on how delicious zebra steaks were (according to you). Lo and behold, for dinner that night we were served up this..........some absolutely outstandingly delicious zebra filets, washed down with cold WH lagers of course! Once again....the Poobah spoke, and was 100% correct.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

And was there ever any doubt? wink

And odd that you mentioned the pangolin. One of the dogs in my program showed an enormous talent for scent work so I contacted friends at Working Dogs for Conservation, they snapped him up and he is training in anti-poaching efforts in Zambia. Getting trained on ivory, rhino horn, spotted cat hides, and�..pangolin. Seems the little fellows are in trouble cause the chinese like to grind them up for 'medicine'...

Yep, Zebra is by far my favorite!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
JGR: Both your oryx and you hartebeest are exceptional!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Gracias Ingwe! I'll go ahead and finish this deal up and quit boring you fine fellas since I got more pics loaded..

It was down to the final two days, and I still hadn't found the kudu I was after. It was decided that we would go to the neighbors 40,000 acre low fenced place that had more mountains to try to locate one. Luckily we could drive within 1/4 mile of the top of a mountain to start our glassing. It was app 3pm. Quickly spotted was a small herd of kudu which contained one bull about 48", too small. I about schitt my pants when I glassed that beautiful bull and couldn't shoot! We walked to another vantage point and the PH then informed me that he had spotted a much larger bull that was making his way down the hill. He felt he was heading for a water hole about 3/4 of a mile away. We were about 1/2 mile from the bull so we started off in a manner as to intercept him somewhere in the flats as he made his way. The PH was correct....he knew exactly where the bull was going and we had a great plan. It took about 45 minutes to an hour to catch up to the bull, but the entire time we were stalking I refused to even look at the bull again because I was getting very jacked up (OK, I admit it, I was getting freaking buck fever) at the possibility of getting a shot. The PH got me to within 125 yards of this beautiful 55" kudu bull. He didn't run 20 yards after the 160 accubond crashed through his right front shoulder.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Beautiful animal!!

Congrats!!

God Bless,
David B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread JG!

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
JGR: Thats an excellent Kudu! Ive killed four of them and none made 55"

That one needs to go on the wall��.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seeing this is just making me more excited

It looks like you couldn't have done any better

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job JG,

Congratulations on a great hunting trip cool.

Beautiful animals.

Thanks for sharing,
Ted smile

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I finished up the trip tallying 2 each of oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest, impala, springbuck, several jackals, a kudu bull, and the mountain zebra. I had one heckuva great time, learned a whole lot, got in lots of shooting, and just fell in love with Namibia.

A word about my gear. I was very, very satisfied with everything I brought. The 7mag performed flawlessly, the VX6 is one helluva fine hunting scope, the 8x32 euros...well, they are even better than I already knew they were. They have a huge depth of field. I hardly had to focus them at all, all week long due to this. They are tack sharp as well.
I was also very pleased with my shooting. Every animal was a one shot kill except for the terrible shot I made on one of the oryx. I drilled him through the neck, hitting no bone, but he was bleeding pretty a little, at times. I did get to see these African trackers do their thing though, as they tracked this thing over a mile where I was able to put a finisher in him. Often times the tracking was over and through grassy, sandy, rocky, and a combo of all three. Amazing to say the least.

Here's the bullets and data for those who care:

These were the only 5 bullets recovered. The rest were passthroughs. The 160's were sizzling along pretty good at 3100+ at the muzzle. Combine that with impact at 100-140 yards, smashing through shoulders, etc. I was still a bit surprised that the bullet recovered from the zebra lost so much weight. Didn't really matter though, because the animals only ran from 0-65 yards are so before falling over.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this adventure, and thanks again to all who answered my many questions, and offered top shelf advice. I appreciate it immensely.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great report JG -

Looks like a great time. Did you bring a Tikka in 7 RM?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. I enjoyed it a great deal.

Congratulations on your hunt!

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I did GregW, my Tikka 695.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son of a *****! Now I want to go! The story of the Kudu in the mountains did it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[img:left]

Chitt eatin' grin

Horse's ass.

Or do I have the captions switched? smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

[img:left]

Chitt eatin' grin

Horse's ass.

Or do I have the captions switched? smile

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice kudu, great report, great shooting!

Thx for sharing!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.