Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boltman
I suspect there are ten things in the lower picture Mr. BSA will very much like wink

Geez, it's getting deep in here. I'm going to go and load some ammo and shoot my new 270 eek whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ok, this rifle belongs to wifey. 30 US Army. Mfg in 1904. 28" bbl. Due to her current heAlth situation she told me I could have it. As she know just how much I appreciated this old war horse! I just feel real bad just taking it. I have no issue using it. Just feel funny sayin' it's mine. It's a classic old gal and the bore is pretty decent. Oldest son did pop a running buck with it several years ago. It's a possible contender for the elk camp this year !

[Linked Image]

She's definitely not a closet queen. And I would not be afraid packing her out! Lots of character and hardly any finish! A workin' rifle!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/11/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

25-35 will work on turkeys as well as grizzly bears...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ok, this rifle belongs to wifey. 30 US Army. Mfg in 1904. 28" bbl. Due to her current heAlth situation she told me I could have it. As she know just how much I appreciated this old war horse! I just feel real bad just taking it. I have no issue using it. Just feel funny sayin' it's mine. It's a classic old gal and the bore is pretty decent. Oldest son did pop a running buck with it several years ago. It's a possible contender for the elk camp this year !

[Linked Image]

She's definitely not a closet queen. And I would not be afraid packing her out! Lots of character and hardly any finish! A workin' rifle!

Did she hunt with it?

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

So... 60 grain bullet for turkey and the big 117 grain for grizzly?

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

[Linked Image]

Did she hunt with it?

No she never got the chance to. She generally used her savage 99 F in .243 or her old model 88 Winchester in .308. That 88 was the rifle she used exactly one month after open heart surgery to bust a monster hog off back porch of the house here.

However, a family member of mine has an exotic game ranch in the hill country. She has said that there is a cross(?) red deer/ elk bull on the place with her name on it. I've seen the critter and he's wild as a March hare. So it's not that much of a "canned" hunt. She's said if she hunts it will be with the 88.. But I bet I can talk her into using the old girl. She also has one of the new 95 Win. in 30/06 she never got to use. That's also an option!

Founder

WS

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I hope her health improves and she is able to go after that bull - whatever it is. It's not every guy with a wife with a parallel rifle collection wink

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks, Boltman! She always had a love for lever guns. ( Her fav TV show as a girl was Chuck Conners in The Rifleman). And started to Invest in the ones she liked. Then cancer and her heart failure kicked in. Young son ended up with her 94 eastern carbine. (Mfg 1963). 30-30.
So far she hasn't gotten rid of any more long guns. But I fear she with soon start to get rid of a lot of her small vintage auto pistols.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/11/14.

Founder

WS

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Did she ever own a '92 carbine? It sounds like Lucas McCain made a strong impression on her. Again, I hope her health improves. Is she receiving active treatment? Please let her know we are pulling for her!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kinda. Before she got congestive heart failure (over 20 years ago) she had one of the old Browning B92's in 44 Mag. It was later converted into hospital bills. She never really found another "real" 92 she liked. She had a rather eclectic collection of lever guns. She bought what she liked.

Founder

WS

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread. I love these old rifles.

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

One 117 grain through the brain...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
definitely one of my favorites. always looking for one. just wish they could tell their stories.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

shrapnel. I was going to ask to see a picture of the griz but you beat me to it. come on over anytime, I have a few here that need a 117 in the brain.
One 117 grain through the brain...

[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Shrapnel, Is that one of those Merriam (sp?) turkeys? Ive killed an Osceola and it had a lot of white in the feather tips but nothing like your turkey. very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kaywoodie, Tell your wife an ole GA Boy is pulling for the both of you. Feb 6 ended an 8 month battle with that old Big C. Can be as tough on the caregiver as patient and my wife was strong as a horse . very best to the both of you

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Shrapnel, Is that one of those Merriam (sp?) turkeys? Ive killed an Osceola and it had a lot of white in the feather tips but nothing like your turkey. very best WinPoor

Yup, it is Merriam's here in Montana. Another one with an 1886 in 40-65...

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Kaywoodie, Tell your wife an ole GA Boy is pulling for the both of you. Feb 6 ended an 8 month battle with that old Big C. Can be as tough on the caregiver as patient and my wife was strong as a horse . very best to the both of you

Thanks winpoor! She's a tough one!

Shrapnel! That bear is awesome! Just goes to show you bullet placement is the secret!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
this old 1907 in 351 win sl I bought at a flea market for 35 dollars. didn't know it at the time but It was missing the firing pin. also some bubba had taken a Dremel with a rough stone to the entire surface to remove rust I suppose.
cleaned it up, reblued,got a firing pin, and a new forearm.
the original forearms are super thin and crack length wise something fierce. any hoo I got her up and running and it will put 5 in 1.5 at fifty. almost as fun as what I used to remember!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks winpoor! She's a tough one!

Shrapnel! That bear is awesome! Just goes to show you bullet placement is the secret!

kaywoodie and winchesterpoor, May God be with you both. BTDT
[Linked Image]

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/12/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,343
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.