Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by redfoxx
To be honest I can't tell you the 338 Win Mag has any better record with me than the .270....

Thanks for being honest.

I'll just assume you're not being "cheeky" and say you're welcome. smile

God Bless America!
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Cheeky?" What, do I sound Australian?

Where's LaMont, by the way?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Cute, pole smoker, GFY.

God Bless America!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Elk aren't hard to kill... and if you have a hard time killing elk... a 338 won't make a difference.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Cute, pole smoker, GFY.

GFM??? GFY.

You're the one who said you couldn't tell a difference between the .270 and the .338 on elk. And then proceeded to say the .338 was better.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK, at least were getting back on topic. It's simple, IMHO it's about margin of error. The larger the caliber the more likely a marginal hit will anchor the animal faster. Bigger hole, more energy, etc. In the right hands a 7-08 will do it all day long, I just like knowing that in the event I screw up and make a bad shot I have a better chance of recovering my animal. I'm not in the business of making bad shots, but it happens from time to time, inadvertently. The OP said he had larger caliber rifles he could take but just really liked the 7-08. My opinion, and recommendation to him was to take a bigger stick. He can hunt and kill with whatever the hell he wants to, I was offering my opinion, which last time I checked is what this forum is about? As a matter of fact, that is exactly what he was asking! I'm out, I've gotta go find Lamont out in the scrap yard and feed Aunt Ester some beef and kippers, then drive crazy Grady down to the bingo parlor.

Last edited by redfoxx; 05/28/14.

God Bless America!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OK, at least were getting back on topic. It's simple, IMHO it's about margin of error. The larger the caliber the more likely a marginal hit will anchor the animal faster. Bigger hole, more energy, etc. In the right hands a 7-08 will do it all day long, I just like knowing that in the event I screw up and make a bad shot I have a better chance of recovering my animal. I'm not in the business of making bad shots, but it happens from time to time, inadvertently. The OP said he had larger caliber rifles he could take but just really liked the 7-08. My opinion, and recommendation to him was to take a bigger stick. He can hunt and kill with whatever the hell he wants to, I was offering my opinion, which last time I checked is what this forum is about? As a matter of fact, that is exactly what he was asking! I'm out, I've gotta go find Lamont out in the scrap yard and feed Aunt Ester some beef and kippers, then drive crazy Grady down to the bingo parlor.

Cliff Note: Redfoxx is a poor shot and has gut shot elk with a 270, 7MM Mag, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Surprisingly, gut shot elk are hard to find.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The larger the caliber the more likely a marginal hit will anchor the animal faster. Bigger hole, more energy, etc.

Red: First, thanks for having a sense of humor. That Grady is a piece o' work. As far as your statements I quoted above, I'm sure there may be some hits where a .338 would be more effective than a 7-08 but I don't know that I agree 100%; a marginal hit is a marginal hit. And there's obviously nothing wrong with your opinion or a .338. But what you said above could also be said about the .338 WM vs. the .50 BMG, so why not that?

Obviously, there are trade-offs in recoil, noise, expense, and so on. Once you get to a certain point, there are diminishing returns. How much is enough? I had a .338, a really nice Kimber. Great piece of walnut and accurate. But I found myself not shooting it very much. And it was also heavier than what I like to tote in the mountains. So I turned it into a 7 mag. and then sold that to fund another project.

But I still have my 7-08. I shoot it a lot, it's light and a joy to carry. So that's how I lean. I get to hunt elk every year, and I don't mind waiting on the shot I want.

Plus, I just don't see myself turning down a shot with a 7 mm. 150 partition or BT that I'd have taken if I'd only had the .338 WM in my hands.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by krp
Elk aren't hard to kill... and if you have a hard time killing elk... a 338 won't make a difference.

Kent

That pretty much sums it up.

Never understood "margin of error".

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SLM

Never understood "margin of error".

Me neither.

What I have seen are some pretty dramatic elk kills from things like the 338, 340,300 Weatherby and Winchester,etc etc vs standard cartridges on the order of a 270 or 30/06(never seen a 7/08 used;no one I have hunted with has used one and neither have I on elk).....such that you could maybe conclude the elk were taking a bigger beating from the bigger cartridges,and especially at distance.

But over the years it dawned on me that this was so ONLY with solid chest or shoulder hits;and the bigger rounds were no more likely to anchor them with bad hits than smaller stuff....you had a rodeo with either one.

I'm one of those odd folks who believes that as game animals get bigger, you have to pay even more attention to hitting them very precisely if you want to avoid problems.The use of a bigger rifle does not mean you can get sloppy and still be successful.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OK, then we're agreed. I'll keep intentionally taking marginal shots and gut shooting elk with my .338WM (after all that's what I said initially, right?) since I'm an unethical and inexperienced douche bag, and you guys keep making one shot instant sniper kills at 700 yards with your laser guided 7mm-08's and keep taking the high road, and now everyone's happy.

God Bless America!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, since you said "you guys" I'll respond. I never said any of that, neither did Bob. We offered our opinions.

What happened to this?

I was offering my opinion, which last time I checked is what this forum is about?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well, since you said "you guys" I'll respond. I never said any of that, neither did Bob. We offered our opinions.

What happened to this?

I was offering my opinion, which last time I checked is what this forum is about?

Smokepole, that was my feeble attempt at humor. I agree 100% that everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's what I was trying to do before I got gang-banged. I was being personally attacked for voicing my opinion due to the fact that it was contrary to the feelings and opinions of the group (not an uncommon occurrence on internet forums). In the end, it's all just personal preference and confidence in one's abilities and chosen/available tools. Thank God we have all the options we do, and the freedom to chose, voice our opinions and to disagree with one another (hopefully with some tact) and debate in an open forum, such as this one.

To the OP, hunt with what you like and be confident. If 7mm-08 is your huckleberry, then go kill an elk with authority! The .338WM is mine, and I intend to do the same in November.

God bless,

Foxx

God Bless America!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I see nothing wrong with it.
You have confidence in it and seem to have the general experience to know what you can and can't do at a particular time and place.

Originally Posted by Rancho Loco
140 AB out of a 7/08 is going to kill elk pretty far out there.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Opinion is when someone says a 338 is better for them than a 708... fine.

It's the qualifyings that leave opinion and are up to scrutiny. It's no one elses fault that they point out discrepancies once you leave opinion.

Kent

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The use of a bigger rifle does not mean you can get sloppy and still be successful.

Yep. Wish more people understood that.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plenty of Elk have been killed by Hunters with 7x57s. 7mm08 is so close there is no difference.

Hunters don't shoot at an Elk past 300 yards and most are killed well under 200.

Climbing lots of stairs was the best advice given so far.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great topic, my son will be using his 7x57 Mauser loaded with 140 AB's at 2900 or 150 PT's at 2850 or so this Fall for spikes in Oregon if he draws. He won't be shooting over 400 yards as that is all we have to practice with, but I would feel okay with him taking a good rested shot like that and I will be there to assist him with the shot. Plus, I will be sorta backing him up with my 338 as well, but I don't imagine I'll have to do much if he does his part.

Buzz, awesome pictures and very motivating!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
'Foxx,
From now on you need to remember this one simple fact and you'll do fine; On the 'net all cartridges kill just as quickly and efficiently as all other cartridges. In cyberspace even the .243 is the equal of the .338 WM so of course the 7mm-08 is. If you want to talk about real world truths you need to do it in the real world. Reality has no place here. And remember, nobody ever hits an elk marginally on the web. Good day. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elsie

Hunters don't shoot at an Elk past 300 yards

GMAFB.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.