Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Dakota is great...but I didn't like the brass. The stuff (several bags)I had was splitting at the body/shoulder junction on second firing. At the cost of the stuff, it was annoying. I sold the rifle despite very good ballistics.The Dakota taught me to distrust brass from proprietary small shop cartridges....things don't always go as planned,and I don't know why but I don't need the grief.

I'd rather have good,old WW 300 Win Mag brass and form a Mashburn(nothing to it)....bomb proof and trouble free.

The OP can throat a 7 Rem Mag for a 160 seated to the base of the neck,and will pick up a bit of speed with the 160(not much IME despite several). The neck is too short and he will have jump with lighter bullets...this is not always bad,but bothers some people who like to seat close to the lands..

No matter what you do to a 7 Rem Mag it will never be as fast with any bullet as a Mashburn. The Mashburn has a longer neck and body than the 7 Rem Mag. Mechanically it's a better cartridge.Been shooting mine for the past 4 years and a friend has two others, one a M70 and the other a punched out 7 Rem Mag M700, which is a very easy conversion.We have fired them all plenty of times.

In any of the three it is easy to use Retumbo, H1000,or RL25 to get 3200-3250 with a 160 gr bullet and decent case life; you will also do 3050-3075 with a 175 gr bullet from a 24" barrel. Anytime we try with either of these bullets, these are the velocities we get,even given different barrels and we aren't blowing any primers doing it.I have goosed a 160 to 3330 fps with Retumbo by "accident" with no ill effects but don't recommend it.

I have never run any bullet lighter than 160 grains from mine...not much point in it for me,but some Mashburn users I know have used the 150 TTSX at about 3300+- fps with good results on game from moose on down.

I can't quantify velocity performance vs cost of dies,etc...a wildcat is a "want", not a need,and the two criteria don't intersect. If it did, we would not see things like the 280AI,7x57AI etc, etc. If you have to think about a wildcat in these terms, you likely should get a factory offering that does the same thing. smile

I have both here right now, having just gotten a new 7 Rem Mag with standard throat. I shoot 150 BT's and Partitions in it.It works fine and I don't have any plans to throat it long,having been down that road with several rifles.

Edited to add: There is no wait time for RCBS Mashburn dies far as I know. They are more expensive but are listed as a catalog wildcat. Redding might be different.I think mine were the first they ever made with cases fired in my rifle.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/18/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laker

Be different and go with the Mashburn.
Indulge the sickness.
You can set up the freebore to suit the bullet and mag length you have.
Avoid the Weathbery hype.poor accuracy,over priced brass and the vaunted pre shotout weathbery freebore.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by dave7mm
laker

Be different and go with the Mashburn.
Indulge the sickness.
You can set up the freebore to suit the bullet and mag length you have.

Do sho +1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look at it this way....in 1.5 years, when you decide you are over the rifle and decide to sell, The Mashburn might sell here in the classifieds to a select few. The 7 Weatherby or Rem Mag will sell anywhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally would rather have the 7mm Rem Mag and if i wanted one faster it would be the 7mm STW or 7mm RUM

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Look at it this way....in 1.5 years, when you decide you are over the rifle and decide to sell, The Mashburn might sell here in the classifieds to a select few. The 7 Weatherby or Rem Mag will sell anywhere.

Good advice and lets face it many of us are guilty of doing this very thing lol. I would vote for the 7mm Weatherby, it looks to be a real performer, brass is easy to get and you can always make it from cheaper brass which you would have to do with the Mashburn anyway.

Gerry.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
If he wants to be "different" go with a 7mm-.300 Wby. I know it's almost the same as the 7mm STW,but it'll be different.

Remington,Hornady,Norma and Wby make brass for the .300 Wby.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are going to build a custom or semi custom rifle and worried about getting your money back if you decide to sell later down the road , then chamber it in 7x57 and your chances of recovering your money will go up at least 90% over any of these magnums you have listed . Plus the magnums won't do much more in actual hunting conditions on Big Game than the 7x57

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The Dakota is great...but I didn't like the brass. The stuff (several bags)I had was splitting at the body/shoulder junction on second firing. At the cost of the stuff, it was annoying. I sold the rifle despite very good ballistics.The Dakota taught me to distrust brass from proprietary small shop cartridges....things don't always go as planned,and I don't know why but I don't need the grief.

I'd rather have good,old WW 300 Win Mag brass and form a Mashburn(nothing to it)....bomb proof and trouble free.

The OP can throat a 7 Rem Mag for a 160 seated to the base of the neck,and will pick up a bit of speed with the 160(not much IME despite several). The neck is too short and he will have jump with lighter bullets...this is not always bad,but bothers some people who like to seat close to the lands..

No matter what you do to a 7 Rem Mag it will never be as fast with any bullet as a Mashburn. The Mashburn has a longer neck and body than the 7 Rem Mag. Mechanically it's a better cartridge.Been shooting mine for the past 4 years and a friend has two others, one a M70 and the other a punched out 7 Rem Mag M700, which is a very easy conversion.We have fired them all plenty of times.

In any of the three it is easy to use Retumbo, H1000,or RL25 to get 3200-3250 with a 160 gr bullet and decent case life; you will also do 3050-3075 with a 175 gr bullet from a 24" barrel. Anytime we try with either of these bullets, these are the velocities we get,even given different barrels and we aren't blowing any primers doing it.I have goosed a 160 to 3330 fps with Retumbo by "accident" with no ill effects but don't recommend it.

I have never run any bullet lighter than 160 grains from mine...not much point in it for me,but some Mashburn users I know have used the 150 TTSX at about 3300+- fps with good results on game from moose on down.

I can't quantify velocity performance vs cost of dies,etc...a wildcat is a "want", not a need,and the two criteria don't intersect. If it did, we would not see things like the 280AI,7x57AI etc, etc. If you have to think about a wildcat in these terms, you likely should get a factory offering that does the same thing. smile

I have both here right now, having just gotten a new 7 Rem Mag with standard throat. I shoot 150 BT's and Partitions in it.It works fine and I don't have any plans to throat it long,having been down that road with several rifles.

Edited to add: There is no wait time for RCBS Mashburn dies far as I know. They are more expensive but are listed as a catalog wildcat. Redding might be different.I think mine were the first they ever made with cases fired in my rifle.
Lapua makes brass if you buy enough :)n570 with 168 berger @ 3300 + does nice things

Last edited by rickmenefee; 05/18/14.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think its been covered, and the Mashburn is certainly retro cool and about as practical as a wildcat can be, but the 7mm-LRM intrests me, seems like a nice place to be velocity wise, and the case has nice set of features neck, shoulder angle and no belt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a Mashburn for 15 yrs. and have absolutely no complaints. That one is dedicated to 160 gr bullets at about 3250 and Rl-25. I built another recently for 175s at 3075. This cart. is what the 7 Rem should have been in the first place.

You get to pay your money and take your chances.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The thing about the Mashburn....is that there is no reason to build one other than �Because I want one�, as it can be duplicated by a factory cartridge, in the form of the 7 Weatherby.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Today, with a good scope on top, the difference is meaningless at sane ranges.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Belts suck. Custom guns let a guy do whatever he choose's which what its about.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 05/18/14.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Bob,

How fast can you run the 150's in the standard 7mm magnum?

Dink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want a rifle you can resell at some future date, the Remington is the way to go. If you don't care about that, there are more 7mm wildcats and proprietary cartridges than fleas on a coonhound.

The real world difference in ballistics means nothing, nor does 10 grains difference in bullet weight.

A 140 gr premium bullet at 3200 fps from a 26" barrel will kill any big game that a 7mm magnum of any stripe is suitable for.

Hodgdon says you can run a 150 TTSX at 3081 with W780 in only a 24" barrel. As my M70 Super Grade has a 26" barrel, I'm confident it would be a bit faster.

Have to agree with an earlier poster that a 7X57 makes a lighter rifle and for a hunter will kill any game in the USA (ask Eleanor O'Connor)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DINK

Bob,

How fast can you run the 150's in the standard 7mm magnum?

Dink

Dink I have generally seen about 3150 fps from a 24" barrel.I know some guys get a bit more but that has seemed comfy to me in most barrels.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[quote=laker]Like my Remington actions and plan to stick with it

[/quote Then you need more experience to appreciate finer actions.

What matters is the rifle and not the specific cartridge and similar ones.

It's the quality of the rifle and rifleman that matter. Of course an unpopular cartridge is not a good investment, nor is a wildcat like that old Mashburn.

I saw a really nice FN Mauser by Browning at a gunshop. It's a 7mm RM at about $1000. Nice stock, nice action, good cartridge.

smile quote/]

You've been listening to yourself talk so much that you obiviouly missed the point that the poster is not interested in what you have to say.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My suggestions enable the subject rifleman to go beyond the entry level rifle and benefit from a superior design.

"Sell that entry level push feed action and shop for one with CRF, and a 3 position M70 type safety that controls the firing pin.

Buy a complete rifle. It's faster, easier and costs less."

smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 22250rem, 62 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,803
Posts18,536,615
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.