Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9point3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know I will catch some hell for this but:

I find it somewhat annoying when posters write in a style in which they speak. It seems as though some go out of their way to seem or sound "country" or "redneck". I am not asking for perfect sentence structure or spelling but please make your posts make some sense and easier to understand.

Here is an example(posters name withheld)Reads like Ebonics

Okay,...okay,...lemme tell ya.

First off,..I ain't braggin',...I'm, bitchin',..they's a difference,..yanno?

,..knothead drops by with some green micarta tubes,...wants me to cut 'em to length and mill this wonky pattern in 'em.

That chit'll kill ya if you breath it,....

So I take this,....

Them fuggers I'm doin' it for couldn't do it if it meant that they hit the damn powerball,....and I make 4% more than a fuggin' burger slapper fer it.

This world is fugged up,....I'm tellin' ya,...

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Variety (to a point), the spice of life.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yep there is something to be said for variety, but there is also something to be said for ignoring what I find grating or objectionable.

Not that I'm all that great at it, but I do try.

So e people can pull that conversational thing off... Others not so much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can live with the dialectic writing. What I cannot stand is "textspeak" like "u want 2 go 4 coffee?"

Then there's the horrible grammar, chief among which is "Me and Bob went..." and the rampant homonym confusion of your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too/two, and many more.

Your writing either gives people the impression that you are intelligent and educated, or the opposite. Many here seem to be the latter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
so what?

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kwitcherbellyakin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By issuing a statement where you find certain grammatical styles objectionable you're inviting the respondents to use their brand of colloquialism instead of the Queen's English.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
By issuing a statement where you find certain grammatical styles objectionable you're inviting the respondents to use their brand of colloquialism instead of the Queen's English.

Know what I'm sayin'?

You mean Moochelle's english? wink

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I can live with the dialectic writing. What I cannot stand is "textspeak" like "u want 2 go 4 coffee?"

Then there's the horrible grammar, chief among which is "Me and Bob went..." and the rampant homonym confusion of your/you're, their/there/they're, to/too/two, and many more.

Your writing either gives people the impression that you are intelligent and educated, or the opposite. Many here seem to be the latter.

Rocky, I can't decide if they're apathetic or just don't give a schitt.

A friend remarked that somebody told he was apathetic and he replied, "I'd take offense if I knew what that meant but to be honest, I don't care."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Know what I'm sayin'?

Don't be a hater.

Can't we all just get along? smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sometimes feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into some club with a secret language to which I am not privy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Rocky, text speak is annoying and smacks of just plain laziness. Bad grammar is annoying, but since mine isn't perfect, I don't bother with worrying about it much. I'm more annoyed by particular bastardizations of our language such as prolly and saying should of instead of should have.

That said, I don't lose any sleep over any of it. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
�Write the way you talk� � well, not exactly.

The third unconscious superstition, the strongest and the worst in its effects on our writing, comes from the fact that when we write, we can�t get away with some of the things that ordinary or even formal speaking lets us get away with.

Speech is lenient. It also has certain side tricks that let us get by and be fairly well understood even though we stumble, say things awkwardly and then resay �em, make bad starts and interrupt ourselves in the middle of a sentence (or even a word) to start over, and generally say reasonably clear things that would turn-out to be gibberish if someone wrote �em all down word for word.

As speakers and hearers of spoken language, we depend also on several adjuncts to the words spoken � facial expressions, vocal intonations and inflections, hand and body gestures, pauses, even several understandable sounds that we have no way to write. When we write, we have none of these to lean-on. The written words, their punctuation and spelling (including calculated and intentional misspellings), and their formatting have to carry the load. A speaker can back-up and plow the same furrow again when he sees by his hearers� expressions that he hasn�t made his point clear enough. A writer can�t. He isn�t there to see his readers� expressions � and even if he were there to watch �em read, he couldn�t rewrite what�s already in print and read.

A deceptively simple way to say all this is �Writing requires special discipline.� When we write, most of us at least sense that writing calls for tighter discipline than speaking ever needs. Fine, so far. The trouble is that we sense this unconsciously, or nearly so, without really knowing or seeing exactly what discipline we need to apply to our writing. This gut sense of a need for discipline then becomes, in our practical struggles, the altogether wrong idea that we have to write in an alien form or dialect, unnaturally. This idea makes writing harder than it needs to be.

The great sea of bad writing all around us reinforces this notion, leading us to feel that the more unnaturally we can write, the more literary or professional our writing becomes. Writing naturally is hard enough. Striving to write unnaturally makes life tougher � especially for the fellow who's already loaded-down with those other two forms of dead weight that we�ve already talked about. Once you get the hang of writing naturally � somewhat like the way that you talk � and well, you�ll find that it�s no harder and is usually simpler than writing unnaturally and poorly.

Writing comparatively undisciplined speech produces gibberish, but the right alternative is not to swing as far from ordinary talk as you can go. This leads only to another breed of gibberish that�s often impossible to figure-out. Good writing uses ordinary words in basic speech patterns whenever possible, with the awkward and the crude dressed-up and the useless extras trimmed away.

One of the best and the simplest things that you can do to learn how to write easily and clearly is to junk the idea that you have to write in a fake or alien form of your natural language.

As you continue in this series, you�ll see that you are incredibly valuable to yourself as a �lab specimen� where you can see in yourself most of what I say in these lessons.

Since you�re a reader, much of what you�ll read later in �The Reader� should ring true to you, possibly even familiar. It�s old but will seem new, and � because it�s old � it will be easy to grasp and to handle in considering the needs and thought processes of other readers.

Since you learned to understand and to speak English unconsciously very early in life, what you�ll learn consciously about it here later will �teach� you �new things� (that aren�t really new, after all) by bringing your deeply buried knowledge of the English language up to where you can look at it and therefore know better how to use it skillfully and consciously as the key tool of the craft of writing.

The next chapter � �Communication� � about the principles and processes of communication � will also bring to your attention certain facts and relationships that you�ve probably never given a lot of conscious thought or study to � but all of which should immediately make sense to you for the simple reason that you�ve been doing all these things, unconsciously at least, nearly your entire life � since before you starting talking. Communication always operates by the same basic principles, processes, and rules, whether you�re listening to a speaker, speaking to a listener, reading, or writing.

You�ve already mastered the unconscious use of all these, so you�re not starting all over again, from scratch, as you become consciously aware of them and learn to consider them in developing the communication skills that are necessary for good writing.

Until now, I�ve been talking about honest, ethical minds reasonably balanced between humility and pride. Unfortunately, self-deception and ego lead many among us to use fake English intentionally to puff themselves up and to over-awe lesser mortals. Someone has accurately translated the attitude that produces this uppity lingo into the subliminal message that it all says � �I�m in the business, and you�re not.�

The writer who uses language this way, in speech or in print, cares little or nothing about passing-along useful information on the subject of his presentation to others. In fact, he prefers that his hearers or readers either not understand what he�s saying or that they have a devil of a time making-out what he�s saying. He�d rather that his readers be impressed with him, at the cost of not understanding what he writes. He is the real subject of his message.

This fellow�s writing is bad enough. What�s even worse is the effect that it has on our writing as we unconsciously feel compelled to write the same way. Since we�re usually conditioned to write more by reflex or feel than by care and principles � and since this kind of writing pops up everywhere we look � the fake language superstition influences us to emulate it. It perpetuates itself when we let it fool us into thinking that�s the way to write.

It�s natural and honorable to be proud of your profession or occupation. It�s normal and appropriate to want others to respect what you do and what you know � and to respect you for doing and knowing. But the honorable way is to seek respect through what you do well, not through how you speak of it.

Once you see not only the wisdom but the necessity of plain words in clear sentences, you see the emptiness, the vanity of such ego-stroking, and you can more easily see through the poses that so many professionals feel that they have to strike to be respected. Porter G Perrin said it well � �Ordinary people are bored by such formality and the intelligentsia is not fooled by the affectation.�

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Know what I'm sayin'?

Don't be a hater.

Yes we can. How does a beer summit sound? grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I sometimes feel like I've inadvertently stumbled into some club with a secret language to which I am not privy.

Lemme splain it...

It's like a Volkswagen in Texas, ain't no big thing.

In other words, it's all a matter of perspective. Some folks, me included, use the vernacular at times out of boredom or to make a point. Others are more concerned about sounding as if they have no education for reasons of their own.

Some are just that ignorant of the proper use of the English language.

I don't worry about it. As long as we are communicating, I'm good with the method.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� the Queen's English.

Editing the writing of British writers, I've often been charged with violating "the Queen's English."

Showing 'em in The Oxford English Dictionary that I was indeed faithful to "the Queen's English" sent 'em away muttering.

Every writer sees in his own prose whatever he intends for it to convey and thinks that it should be as clear to everyone else as it is to him.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't mind colloquialisms, or text speak. I can deal with it and some times it lends a little flavor to things. There's only one writer that's difficult for me to decipher. That person suffers from at least one, maybe all of the following:

1. English is his second language.
2. He's drunk or stoned or both.
3. He has no understanding of basic grammar, spelling, capitalization and punctuation.
4. He thinks he's messing with our minds.

Other than that, his posts are occasionally entertaining. I think most of you know who I'm referring to. But I'm not going to make things worse for the poor guy by mentioning his name.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tempted to have a colloquial dyslexia attack but will constrain my errant ways.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Know what I'm sayin'?

Don't be a hater.

Yes we can. How does a beer summit sound? grin

A beer summit sounds righteous.

Gimme some 40s.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Rocky, I can't decide if they're apathetic or just don't give a schitt.

A friend remarked that somebody SAID he was apathetic and he replied, "I'd take offense if I knew what that meant but to be honest, I don't care."
FIXED IT, MICKEY wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 51 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,152
Posts18,523,380
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.