-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will do this in separate parts or I never will get it done.

Outfitter / PH: Pieter Kriel

Dates: May 2 - May 17, 2014

Hunter: Charles

Observer: Ellice

Airline: American Airlines DFW to London, British Airways London to Johannesburg

Rifle: Mauser 30-06 and Marlin .243

Animals on my list are: Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, and Bushpig.

Side Trip: 3 days in Kruger Park

Sorry to bore everyone with the prologue but it is part of the story of our adventure.

During the week leading up to the trip nothing went as planned. Work was more hectic than usual getting prepared for being gone for two weeks, Ellice was calling me because her file server kept crashing, and I ended up getting an emergency root canal due to an abscess tooth. Time I had hoped to spend packing was taken up with fixing the file server (failing cpu fan caused it to overheat) and getting caught up at work because of the time lost on the dental appointments.

May 2nd: Ellice picks me up at work and we head straight for DFW airport. A very nice and talkative ticket agent tags Pieter�s Pelican case and sends me to the oversized luggage check-in without charging me the oversized luggage fee ($150). She was busy exchanging European travel tips with Ellice and they were still chatting when I get back. We get through security and are sitting in the Admiral�s Club drinking a cocktail. Things are looking up.

[Linked Image]

I am tired, but I stay awake long enough on the flight to get my ice cream.
[Linked Image]

May 3rd: We arrive in London and settle in at the Concord Room for the long layover. This is actually a nice break for me since things have been so hectic. We finally depart and are on our way, or so it seems. An hour and a half into the flight we get the announcement that one engine isn�t performing properly and is burning too much fuel. We have to turn around. We have visions of them trying to squeeze all of us a few at a time into regularly scheduled flights and loosing a few days. When we land in London British Airways customer service people board and hand each passenger a letter with instructions. We are heading to the Sofitel Hotel which is linked to our terminal at Heathrow and they will try the same flight again tomorrow, but a couple hours earlier than the flight (with the same number) that is scheduled for May 4th. We loose a day, but I get a good night sleep and British Airways is handling this way better than I think American would have.

May 4th: Everything goes smooth and we are finally on our way, albeit on a 747 with the older interior. We even have the same crew.

I will never tire of seeing the sunrise from 35,000 � 40,000 feet over Africa.
[Linked Image]

May 5th: We finally arrive in Johannesburg. Our luggage arrives okay, but Pieter�s Pelican case is no where to be found. Lost luggage is absolutely no help. They don�t know anything and don�t seem to care. Our pilot and co-pilot (who are also looking for lost luggage) are more helpful and are running around trying to help people. I fill out the form, but the pilot suggests that I may want to wait for the other flight 57 since by now it is due in about 45 minutes and he suspects that having two flights with the same number is the problem. He was right, the case arrives, and we are on our way.

We arrive in the park late afternoon. We have to get to the camp, but we do get to see a lot of animals and bird species. The Impala are in rut and oblivious to just about everything else.
[Linked Image]

It is time for a sundowner and a braai.
[Linked Image]

May 6th: We are up early and our adventure continues. Today we see Rhino, Hyena, Giraffe, Waterbuck, Impala, Wild Dog, Hippo, Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Crocs, Warthog, Ground Hornbills, and a ton of other birds.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc211/CharlesL_album/Africa%202014/ground_hornbill-1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by CharlesL; 05/22/14.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
May 7th: We are up early and have a few hours of game viewing before heading to Natal. This morning we see Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu, Warthog, Elephants, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Blue Wildebeest, Hyena, Lion, Leopard, and Hippo. It has been an exciting morning. We have seen the Big Five and it is 7:52 AM. It is now time for breakfast.

[Linked Image]

We spent a little time looking over this herd and discussing if my preference is width or mass for a buffalo. I like age and mass. The tips can be worn down and the width isn�t that important.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I videoed a Kingfisher bashing a fish for over six minutes against a tree limb. I guess he likes his meat well tenderized.

Okay the window shopping is over. It is time to head for Natal.

More to come!

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice start on a great journey...

The late luggage is one reason i stay a night in Joberg while traveling through or to South Africa...

laugh

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
May I be the first to say:

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF course I have a year to wait so you do deserve all the accolades of this forum. And then it will be my turn to suck....
hmmmm....why doesn't that sound like a good idea????

Sounds like a great trip...have fun, be safe and start planning your next trip!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great story so far Charles....can't wait for the rest.

fgold...I'm sure there will be lots of good guys here to remind you that you will suck. Right now CharlesL does.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Eagerly awaiting parts 2 - 6. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story so far! Really nice pics, too!

Eric

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lewdogg21
Eagerly awaiting parts 2 - 6. smile

Only two more parts. I thought I would be doing them this weekend. The wife (aka Princess Iwannatakeapee) had other ideas. smile

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
come on! you don't need rest. we need the rest of the story! tease.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TIA.

Thanks Charles.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 16 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,090
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.