Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's a tad pricey but I'm impressed with the workmanship,half min increments with easy read scale.Time for me to consider this as my eyes at this stage focus 10 fold better through a vernier than buck horns....So pour it on me fellas open to any and all suggestions pro or con..

http://www.kermitool.com/hoke_rifle_sight.html

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cannot think of any cons with the one that I own, well made as any.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How about front sight any pref ?

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer the Baldwin front sight as with their tang sight.

Last edited by nathanial; 05/24/14.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Concerning front sights, keep in mind one of the requirements is to easily be able to see the spirit level (bubble balance) in most all lighting conditions. Therefore I would not recommend one with the level mounted inside the globe which shades the level and bubble. Get one with the level housing mounted to the rear of the front sight. The AMT/Browning front sight has the most visible level that I've seen. There are others that are similar but generally with smaller diameter levels.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've installed and done maintenance tuning on Kermit's Sights.

TOP NOTCH American quality.

Beefier where it counts, to.

Like my bubbles IN the tunnel, myself.

Ditto on Steve Baldwins (or the ones I build ;))

For the record , I showed my prototype to Steve, and he approved my going forward with making em'.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Woody.

The biggest mistake one can make is putting a cheep sight on a rifle, tang or scope.
I see so many guys at the range with a top end rifle and put a low priced scope or a low priced flip flop tang sight on a rifle and then complain that there rifle is junk because it does not shoot to their exaptation's. There is nothing worse than having a flip-flop tang sight on a fine Sharps or high wall.
As far as the front sight, I use the MVA and I use the Baldwin but I prefer the Baldwin over the MVA simply because the way the inserts are held in place and the spirit level covered in the hood to keep the sun glair off the vile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron Heilman makes good front and rear sights.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have Hokes on all of my single shots, and that is after having owned and sold other brands, including MVA. It's not that the others weren't good to excellent, but being old and a left hand shooter, Kermit's sights work best for me. True vernier scales and engraved on both sides. Another plus is that the Hoke has a takeup feature to tighten the windage movement. Kermit used to make them as a sideline of his machine tool business, but since retiring and selling the business he makes them on his own. Just bought another from him.

The Hoke has 42 minutes of windage, and comes with an eyepiece with multiple apertures, so you don't have to pay extra.

I don't want to turn this into a dissertation, but to new BPCR shooters I'd advise, don't rush out and buy the best known brands just because "everybody" says they are the "best". Ditto "Ya gotta have a Soule". Do some research and find what works best for you. It may not be what "everybody" talks about or says is best.

Also, I agree with Mac on the external level on the Browning front sight. I also have a Distant Thunder made by Jim Kluskens, very similar to the Baldwin. Good guys, and shooters all.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for input so far fellas appreciate it muchly.I'm in the discovery/shopping mode at present and do realize its blasphemy to mount cheap sights on these fine specimens which I had no intentions of from the get go.

So far this Hoke I linked may just be at the top of my list as I certainly take Greg's word on any quality issue and I do like it being "beefier" than many I've looked at so far.

Done my homework on the bubble issue guess its a toss up as to individual taste more than a standard practice with light/glare issues.

Staff length is another issue I'm not sure of just yet, think I'll probably settle on a medium as presently can't envision myself shooting to the far side of the moon.. grin

Woody
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Just clicked on that link. It is not current, but is his old tool company, now under new ownership.

Paul

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10-4 Paul thanks for the heads up..

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
External or internal level? I prefer both for reasons of being easily viewed until conditions make one or the other unusable.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Woody et al,

Just noticed your question about elevation. I recently had a discussion with Kermit on just that point. Now, I may be an odd duck, but I don't like more "iron" sticking up off my rifles than necessary. Seems like many BPCR shooters just have to have the biggest and tallest they can find, and a "magnum" eyepiece to boot. Not me. I prefer the shortest that will work, and I seldom change my rear aperture, and damned sure don't want to be fiddling with a dozen choices. I'm sort of a minimalist, and YMMV, of course.

Now, FWIW. My Browning .40-82, rechambered from .40-65, pushes a 417 gr. PJ Creedmoor at 1330 fps. A short Hoke will easily reach the silhouette ram at 500 meters with elevation to spare. Ditto my .45-70, which is my 1000 yard rifle. It wears a midrange Hoke and, Distant Thunder in front, and just this week my Creedmoor load with 80 grs. of Swiss 1.5 and a 535 gr. paper patched BACO Money bullet clocked 1370 fps. Kermit said that his shorty is good for about 450 yards, but I know that on my Browning .40-82 it will make 500 meters, and probably 600 yards.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Hoke is a long range and is not needed at a thousand with the 45-90, a midrange I believe could get it there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep. That's consistent with my experience, and my son's with a Hoke on his Shiloh .45-90. The 1000 yard setting is right about 200 points, and the midrange Hoke shaft is marked to 270.

Paul

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just happened to have pics of a LR and short Hoke, the LR on a Shiloh I no longer own. Also, a pic of a MR Distant Thunder. One feature of the DT is that Jim makes them for mid and long range, with a bit of forward tilt, so that with the tang sight at elevation you are looking straight through the sight barrel, so you don't get an distorted oval picture.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Checked out this newer DT. its going on my watch list for sure as I like its overall looks and features.

[Linked Image]

This new version of the Distant Thunder Front Sight at left is designed to compliment the octagon barrel found on most BPC rifles. This new sight will be offered in both the mid-range and long-range configurations to cover shooting from 200 to 1200 yards. It is currently available in 3/8" dovetail and will be offered in .450" (Shiloh) and 7/16" (C. Sharps) dovetails as well. As with our round globe sight you can order with a standard insert set and/or any number and style of custom inserts*. You can taylor the custom inserts to your shooting distances, the type of targets and most importantly your eyes. These new sights are CNC machined from solid bar stock just like our round front sight and our tang sight. They have the same internal level which is shaded inside the globe so it is protected and in the same focal plane as the front aperture making a proper sight picture much easier.

New octagon front sight with level and standard inserts�$163 plus shipping.

Woody
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Thanks for input so far fellas appreciate it muchly.I'm in the discovery/shopping mode at present and do realize its blasphemy to mount cheap sights on these fine specimens which I had no intentions of from the get go.

So far this Hoke I linked may just be at the top of my list as I certainly take Greg's word on any quality issue and I do like it being "beefier" than many I've looked at so far.

Done my homework on the bubble issue guess its a toss up as to individual taste more than a standard practice with light/glare issues.

Staff length is another issue I'm not sure of just yet, think I'll probably settle on a medium as presently can't envision myself shooting to the far side of the moon.. grin

If you don't get carried away with the height of the front sight most midrange sights will make 1000 yds with bullets exceeding 1250 fps and leave some room to spare.
I personally don't care for the spirit levels in the front sight, they are to much distraction, and either seem to reflect to much light (external) or take up to much of the front sight (internal). I do like the Shaver front sights for their size of the globe, and he does offer a fair amount of usable recticles.
"Hadley" eyecups are never a bad choice, because sometimes one hole just won't work in the conditions present.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice! Another service that Jim Kluskens (Distant Thunder) offers is custom front sight inserts. Particularly good if you have an odd or obsolete globe sight.

Another detail. Jim's inserts are the same diameter as the Baldwin. Don't know what inserts Steve offers as standard or options.

"Lollipop" aperture inserts, which I favor, are available from Ron Snover, in both 17A and Sharps sizes.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 05/25/14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.