Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Outfitter / PH: Pieter Kriel

Dates: May 2 - May 17, 2014

Hunter: Charles

Observer: Ellice (aka Princess Wannatakeapee or Trophy Wife)

Airline: American Airlines DFW to London, British Airways London to Johannesburg

Rifle: Mauser 30-06 and Marlin .243

Animals on my list are: Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, and Bushpig.

May 8th: We are excited about seeing the Big Five plus a ton of other animals this morning and now it is time to head for Natal. It is a long ride, we have an interesting detour, and end up making a �Texas� onramp on to N5 (I think). Those of you from Texas or spent much time in Texas understand about making a ramp where there isn�t one, but where TXDoT should have put one. smile

We arrive in camp and meet up with Anton (our chef / camp manager) and Zwelly (our tracker / skinner). We arrive later than planned so we have what was lunch for dinner. It was a wonderful Blesbok lasagna, garlic bread, and sides. Ellice is very pleased with the chalet and I am excited about tomorrow.

May 9th: I am up well before the alarm goes off. I grab a cup of coffee from Anton.

[Linked Image]

IMPORTANT NOTE HERE: Instant coffee is common in South Africa. Pieter knows that we (especially the Princess) don�t care for instant coffee so he ensures that we have real coffee available. He also provided Ellice with a �survival kit� that included an electric kettle, French press, three different coffee roasts, a hair dryer, a power adapter, and a power strip.

After a light breakfast we head for the hunting property (a very short drive away). I was even more excited to learn that the property has the Big Five. The property is very large and one of the problems they have is that because of the size a helicopter with poachers can land in parts of it without them even knowing. They are in the process of moving their Rhinos to a more secure location, but they had five Rhinos poached the week before we arrived. We sight in the 30-06 and head out.

We see Blesbok, Giraffe, Warthog, and Impala as soon as we start hunting. After a couple stalks on Nyala and hearing �he is too small we can do better� our guide spots a group of ewes and one bull on the slope of the next hill. We go for a walk with our local guide leading followed by Pieter, myself, Ellice, and Zwelly.

[Linked Image]

We get close enough for Pieter to judge the bull. It is what we are looking for so we stalk up closer. I just put the 30-06 on the sticks and we hear crashing behind up. We turn and are looking at two adolescent Elephants that are looking at us from behind brush about 25 yards away. Ellice and Zwelly are about 10 yards from us at about a 45 degree angle from the Elephants. Pieter and I are motioning, without making big movements, for Ellice to come to us. She is hesitating at first and Zwelly isn�t going to abandon her. Once they join us we slowly back out and make a large loop back to the bakkie. Once we are safe I think damn that was better than actually shooting the Nyala. I talk to Ellice and learn that she didn�t really understand the potential danger she was in and was thinking about taking a picture of the Elephants until Zwelly gently caught her by the back of her vest and guided her to us. We had a chat about staying closer and following instructions.

We saw a lot more animals and had more stalks that day, but nothing productive. At one point we came across a group of Elephants (a dozen that I counted). One was in the road.

[Linked Image]

We started to back out, but now there was Elephants in the road behind us. We stopped and patiently waited for them to move on out. One of the younger ones broke off a tree across the road in front of us. That got the attention of the rest of them and they slowly moved that direction so we could back out.

[Linked Image]

While we are waiting for the Elephants to let us pass I have a texting discussion with my boss about a customer�s order terms. Technology has its drawbacks.

The sun sets on my first day of hunting. Well almost.

[Linked Image]

On the way out a good Nyala bull was spotted with a group of ewes. We stalk to them, but they are in heavy cover and it is after sundown so I can�t see them until the bull catches my attention as he is departing.

Conversation on the ride back and at dinner was more exciting than normal. It may be old hat for some, but for me the close proximity to Elephants added more to the hunt than I can describe with words.

Last edited by CharlesL; 05/27/14.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
May 10th: We head for a different property. At the lodge we meet up with a very hung over (but friendly) group of South African Rugby fans. We have a cup of coffee despite the numerous invitations to have a beer with them. smile

We are rounded up and excited about what the day holds for us.

[Linked Image]

We drive to an area that looks promising and where we have the wind in our favor, and we start walking. We trek through every type of thorny brush imaginable and up and down gullies for about an hour. We encounter Nyala, but I am told that we can do better.

We have our photo taken with a Giraffe and break for lunch.

[Linked Image]

After lunch we head to the lake shore and go after Common Reedbuck. It�s like hunting Quail. They lay low and then jump up and run. Pieter says that is a shooter and I am either looking at their but bouncing through the tall grass or they have stopped where I just have a shot at their horns.

After doing this for a while our guide says Bushpig and points to a clump of grass. We stalk to about 10 yards from it. I have three openings to shoot into. I am guessing one is the front shoulder area, one is the stomach, and one is the hind quarters. I ask Pieter which way it is laying because I am not seeing the head. Pieter says the head is to the left. I am on the sticks and seconds from pulling the trigger when the guide says �wait, wait�. It isn�t a bushpig. It is a Cape Buffalo cow.

[Linked Image]

I came very close to shooting a Cape Buffalo cow with a 30-06 at 10 yards with Pieter videoing it. We start backing out when she stands up. She is surprised to awake from her nap looking at a group of humans and decides to make a hasty retreat.

We spend most of the day walking looking for Nyala, Common Reedbuck, or Mountain Reeduck. We bump Common Reedbuck and Mountain Reedbuck but either they aren�t shooters, I am not quick enough, or I just don�t have a clear shot.

As we make our way back to the bakkie close to sundown we spot a Common Reedbuck. Pieter says to shoot, I have a shot and take it.

[Linked Image]

May 11th: We take a break from hunting and go fishing. Frans (one of Pieter�s PH�s) was a fishing guide earlier in his career and takes us out to try our luck on Tiger Fish. The Princess goes for a short boat ride with us and then goes to have a massage.

I have several bites and manage to almost land one. Fortunately I got it close enough for Pieter and me to see it, but unfortunately I did not get it into the boat so we don�t have pictures. We do see a lot of game along the shore including Rhino, Impala, Common Reedbuck (I think he was one that I saw yesterday and yelled that I was too slow), Crocodile, Hippo, and many more. Good thing we don�t have rifles.

May 12th: We are back on the property that we hunted May 10 9th. I am on the sticks several times only to hear �we can do better�. On one Nyala I really wanted to pull the trigger, but I trust Pieter�s judgment. Did I mention that we leave Natal in the morning?

For lunch we setup a hide overlooking a watering hole. We are entertained by Impala rams that are rutting. They do get stupid. I thought one was going to run us over but he did not even seem to notice us. We watched Warthogs rolling in the mud, a couple young Nyala bulls locking up horns for a while, Nyala bulls strutting for a group of ewes, and a couple decent Kudus.

After lunch we had not gotten very far when our guide tells us about a Nyala bull that he and Zwelly had seen during lunch who was heading our way. We bail off the bakkie and head for him. We quickly find him, Pieter says to shoot, and I take the shot. He is a nice mature bull. I wish I had a close-up of his horns. In spots the rings are worn smooth. I am glad that I waited.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CharlesL; 05/28/14.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic! Trip of a lifetime there, especially with the elephant encounter! Congrats on your nyala. smile

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice part 2 of your safari.

The reedbuck and Nyala are very good nice.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Charles

Looks like one hell of a trip

14 days and I'll take a turn

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Very nice Charles

Looks like one hell of a trip

14 days and I'll take a turn

I'm envious. I want to go again. smile

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Buffalo with a .30-06 at close range... Could have been very interesting!

Good hunt, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful Nyala, thanks for the report!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful Nyala Charles! Thanks for the detailed report. I agree, sometimes it's worth the wait.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GuyM
Buffalo with a .30-06 at close range... Could have been very interesting!

Good hunt, thanks for sharing!

If I was quicker I could have got a Cape Buffalo cow at Bushpig pricing. As you may have noticed I miss a lot of opportunities because I am not quick on the trigger. Part of that is because it takes a few seconds (that feel like minutes) for me to calm down. When I hear "it's a shooter" or "take the shot if you have one" my pulse starts pounding in my neck.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful nyala! Congratulations, Charles. You suck!!!

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Charles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Congratulations on your trip.

Thanks for the story.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for sharing your adventure, great write up!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Beautiful Nyala. I'm leaving in a week. Still working on my list, but I do like the Nyalas.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.