Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Here are a few pictures of my restored Win 1890 deluxe. Before I get blasted, I know that "true collectors" are not into restoring.
With that said, I think this is an awesome job, (sorry to say I didn't do it) with great detail taken to accomplish it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TvTech; 05/26/14.

NRA Life Endowment Member
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is nothing wrong with restoring gray rats.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That is a beautiful rifle, the restorer it did a masterful job.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice indeed. I've got an 86 that got a similar treatment and I don't regret it at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any chance on giving us the name of the restorer?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
looks like a turnbull. makes mine look rough.

Last edited by deerstalker; 05/26/14.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Claybirds, sorry to say I don't know. I wasn't thinking to ask that when I acquired it.
deerstalker, I did check with Turnbull and they have no records from 1982 through 1986 and it wasn't in their restoration files from '87' to present. They did say the case color was good.
I first saw this rifle at a local gun show and told the dealer I had a Win lever gun and asked him if he wanted to trade. I brought it to his store and we traded even. I don't even remember what model I traded him. All I know is, we both got what we wanted.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sounds like BS.

T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Cisco1, what part of my post don't you get? Do you think I made up the whole story? Do you you typically read posts from others, then make statements that try to get a rise from someone? As a new member, I'll abide by the rules and refrain from what I really think I should say.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
TvTech, thanks for the photos, someone did a fantastic job,it does look like Turnbull work but others have been doing it a long time, if I had to bet I would bet a master decided to do a gun for themself... I have no problem whatsoever giving a gun a second often nicer lease on life but then again I have no problem taking a NIB mid 50's model 70 and scoping it up and banging away. I have had the honor of doing it twice... Pay the pricks no mind, they show up here from time to time but we move em on.... very best on a great gun and some work by a master! WinPoor

T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Winpoor, thanks for the kind words. All I know is, when I first laid eyes on it, I had to have it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
TV Tech,
Say what you want don't hold back , holding back will likely make you constipated.
The pics look very nice. Obviously a valuable 1890.
I don't believe one can trade a winchester lever that has enough value to make a trade for said gun without knowing the model or value of the lever gun.
Good luck to you . Put up a few more pics. These Winchesters are some of my interest.
There you have it , why I said BS. got it?

T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Cisco1, I hate to tell you but, it's the truth. The lever I gun I traded was a 94 type with a longer barrel. I didn't have it that long before I traded it. It had someone's initials engraved in the receiver which was why I really didn't like it. I paid $500 for it and the guy who owned the 1890, wanted me to pay him a little cash too, but I told him even swap or nothing. I wondered why the guy wanted the lever gun so bad, did he know something I didn't? I thought I got the short end of the stick for a while, but like I said, I liked the 1890 better. Got it?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
BS
GOT IT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it is beautiful, there are a lot of Winchesters out there that deserve a 2nd lease on life.

Having a perfectly preserved specimen is one thing, but bringing life back to one that is not in my opinion is just as worthy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to me there is two sides, no make that three sides to collecting/owning.
the purist want an old gun in nib condition
the romantics like guns that have stories written on them via bumps , scratches etc.
then there is the guy that likes the old stuff and loves dressing it up or restoring it to like or better than new.
oh yeah there is the fourth kind.
he is a combo of all the above and is very very broke.

cisco1, I don't find it at all hard to believe the op doesn't remember what he traded. if he isn't a pathological collector or just a wacked out gun nut like some of us, he might not have known what he had and traded. even after 60+ yrs of being a total gun fanatic I still find arms I don't know existed.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
deerstalker,
I also have many years of accumulating. Sometimes more a shooter/ hunter than accumulater.
I have been chastised for putting together NIB old Winchesters and shooting them.
I find it hard to believe one ends up with a beautiful restored 1890 �..and just a goofy story to explain it.
Believe what you wish , but don't explain it to me.

T
TvTech Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Listen, I'll tell you a little more about the lever gun. A friend was selling his 2 long guns because he didn't want them in his house with children around. Who knows, his wife may have been the catalyst for that. Another friend buys his 16ga SXS Daly, made by Beretta, then I buy that shotgun from him. I find out that my friend is also selling his Win lever gun too. So,I think, for $500 it's a good deal. I don't care what it is at that point, it's a gun for my collection. It was a little different than my standard model 94, it had longer barrel and it was a take down and it wasn't a 30/30. The gun shop I traded with must have know something about it or really wanted it for his collection. He was trying to sell the 1890 for $500 at a gun show, that's when I thought why not ask him about trading, Hell, I have $500 into the lever gun, like I said, I really liked the 1890 much better. Sorry I can't embellish the story to fit your needs. By you saying it's a goofy story is an insult to my integrity. Here's what it looked like.
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Being an azz hole on a forum like this is first cousin to running in the special Olympics..... you may win but your still a retard! very best WinPoor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.