Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Heads up guys, this stuff has been on back order for the past half year. It's now in stock. Get it while you can 10mm fans. Great round for backcountry hiking.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

Eric

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I noticed their little disclaimer says "DO NOT USE in Colt Delta Elite 10mm's.

But they are safe for use in Factory Glock 10mm barrels!

Guess that shoots to hell all the rumors every one posts on here about Glocks going Kaboom wink

But, of course, I already knew that. I've been shooting them in my Glock 20 and my Kimber Match Target 10mm for years! cool

Now let's pop some popcorn and see how many pages this debate will go..... confused

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/28/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would not put too much faith in Underwood's comments on the Delta Elite. They have had their share of legal problems. Also, their ammo is dirty and lacks quality control. At least years ago when I shot some because you could not fine brass for the 10mm.

The 10mm is an odd cartridge. The original Norma stuff would tear up a S&W 1006 if you shot enough. The 1006 is one of the toughest 10mm ever made. Now "most" of the large ammo manufacture's load the 10mm down. The F.B.I. lite loads. Some like Double tap,Buffalo Bore, Georgia arms, Underwood and others are loading hot. Still not as hot as the original Norma loads. If you are restricted to the factory stuff, you are at a disadvantage in tuning your gun to the loads since they vary so much.

Even Double Tap has had their problems. Double Tap (Mike McNett), has probably done more to keep the 10mm alive than anyone else. Except for Colt who made the DE when nobody else made a gun for the 10mm. I have had trouble with Double Tap ammo that swelled cases very badly at much lower velocities that I was getting with my hand loads using Starline Brass. I even had Hodgdon look in to it. They had soft brass. I have never had the above mentioned ammo company's loads perform as advertised.

The 10mm is a very powerful round for an auto pistol. A steady diet of hot loaded 10's will tear a Delta Elite up over time (and the G20). There are some tricks to help, but the most important thing is to not load too hot. That extra 100-150 fps is what tears these guns up. Example: Using 180gr jacketed bullets,keep them at or under 1300 fps (with the right powder) and you will be fine.

To put all this in perspective, a 10mm gun is not one to shoot combat or bulls eye with. No need. Use a 45ACP or the "europellet" for that. Most people will not shoot their 10mm as much as some of their other auto's. The 10mm is a fine hunting or wilderness protector.

Note: Purposely left out the 1911/Glock comparison. That debate has been wore out. (Ford vs Chevy)

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good to hear from you, Eric and thanks for posting. I too LOVE that ammo for woods carry of my Glock 20 while grouse hunting in the Boundary Waters (northern MN). If I ever get into a tangle (god forbid) with moose/bear/wolves, that gives me at least a small bit of peace of mind that I can shoot my way out and not just give dirty looks!

-John

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey John. Good to hear from you as well. I agree, a little hot lead down range is better than dirty looks! laugh

Eric

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gibby

The 10mm is a very powerful round for an auto pistol. A steady diet of hot loaded
10's will tear a Delta Elite up over time (and the G20). There are some tricks to help, but the most important thing is to not load too hot. That extra 100-150 fps is what tears these guns up. Example: Using 180gr jacketed bullets,keep them at or under 1300 fps (with the right powder) and you will be fine.

I'll have to call BS on part of your post where you state, "a steady diet of hot loaded10's will tear up a Delta Elite and the Glock 20 over time"

I have over 20K rounds through my all Factory Original Glock 20 with never a hiccup of any kind. And all my ammo has been well over 1300 fps.

Same goes for my Kimber Match Target 10mm. Same ammo for over 10K rounds.

Can't vouch for the Delta Elite. The one I had would not feed reliably, so I sold it.

And if I wanted to shoot ammo like the 10mm "light" loads you mentioned, or handloads that are you stated "100 to 150 fps under 1300 fps" & "using 180 jacketed bullets" , there wouldn't be much point in me having a 10mm, now would there ? wink

Hell, if your that afraid of the 10mm Cartridge, you might as well buy friggin .40 sick

And by the way, I use Blue Dot & AA-9 for my 10mm handloads. Never had a problem with my handloads. Guess I MUST be using the right Powder. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/29/14. Reason: spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Read again--NOT 100-150 fps BELOW 1300. Around 1300 fps.

You call 10K rounds a lot of shooting. I don't.

I do not think the 10mm is "The big bad wolf".

Question-- I know the answer. Is your Kimber using a ramped barrel?

Glock. Stock barrel? How many loads you get out of your brass?

You stated you shot the Underwood 200gr for years. Were you not hand loading then?

I see underwood limits all their 10mm/180gr loads to "around" 1300fps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never said I shot ANY Underwood ammo. I shoot my handloads and the only factory ammo I shoot is Buffalo Bore.

And Yes, both of my 10mm's still have the original Factory Barrels & Factory original springs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Never said I shot ANY Underwood ammo. I shoot my handloads and the only factory ammo I shoot is Buffalo Bore.

And Yes, both of my 10mm's still have the original Factory Barrels & Factory original springs.

Might want to take heed in Underwood's warning. Delta Elites and any other "rampless" guns.

Number of loads out of your brass? You did not answer that question.

Well over 1300 fps using AA #9. Do you have a chronograph? How do you get that much #9 in that case?

You did say you shot the Underwood for years. Look at your first post here.

One more thing. It is time to change out your original springs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by EricM
Heads up guys, this stuff has been on back order for the past half year. It's now in stock. Get it while you can 10mm fans. Great round for backcountry hiking.

Eric

Eric,

By the way. Thanks for alerting the fire on this. Troubled times in supply. Your post will help some people here.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm very happy for anyone whose Glock worked out of the box with 10mm, with no problems. There are many things to recommend the Glock in 10mm, from price to corrosion resistance. Also, many "experts", including Mass Ayoob, consider the Glock one of or the top choice for a 10mm semi-auto, and I heard the same thing from Tim Sundle of Buffalo Bore. I was not so lucky with my G20, but the problems I had were mostly ammo and aftermarket barrel problems. With the Lone Wolf barrel, it WOULD fire out of battery, and was selective of which ammo it would even chamber.The original G20 barrel gave me no problems, nor has the six inch Glock barrel I replaced it with. Both are typical Glock barrels, with "generous" chamber clearance. The pistol is accurate and shoots well now, and mostly feeds as it should.

Right now I am not reloading for mine, because I have had a lot of Buffalo Bore and Double Tap ammo to shoot first. I think I will just "load" for it, using new brass. Right now I am not seeing any brass smiles or swelling, but there are things a human eye probably won't see that could cause a problem (not that new brass couldn't conceivably have a problem, also, but it is less likely). I did have a kaboom with my G20, did not dream it, and did not enjoy it, do not want a repeat. The same thing might happen in another pistol, but mine happened in a Glock, and I won't soon forget it. I will not just load and shoot it as I would a .45ACP 1911. I certainly have not put 10K rounds through mine - might never shoot that many - but I saw a difference when I changed out the recoil spring for a heavier one, and would recommend that step. It was a positive improvement. Now, if I had the time and funds to send it off for a grip reduction and a manual safety, I might REALLY like that plastic pistol.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Eric

Eric,

By the way. Thanks for alerting the fire on this. Troubled times in supply. Your post will help some people here.

My pleasure! cool

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My 10mm's do not have 10k rounds through them either. My 45ACP's and 38 Supers,now that is a different story.Some over 100k. All Colt's and S&W DK's.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree 1300 fps for a 10mm is plenty any more than that and one is living on the edge IMHO.

I have the Underwood Ammo to be very accurate and to give slightly higher velocities that advertised.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Eric

Eric,

My pleasure! cool

+1, with enthusiasm! Terrific public service announcement, Eric.

I only hope that they are still there when I next have a few bucks to spare. And yes, my 10mm (RIA TAC10) has a fully ramped barrel plus oversized barrel to slide lugs to keep all of that together longer i.e. much better timing for heavy loads.

My handloads are exactly the same recipe' as chlinstructors. Great power, and wonderful accuracy and function in my pistol. One can definately and for sure tell the difference in recoil between these loads and regular speed factory ammo. The kinds of holes or wounds they made on a couple of TN Hogs (plus the oak trees behind each!) give me great confidence in bear, wolf, cougar country as well as in any urban environments where the predators only have two legs under them. An extra magazine with a rubber bumper fits perfectly in my left side back pocket right next to my wallet over my left hip. Everything hides underneath a light untucked shirt, or one of my motorcycle jackets, nicely.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just ordered two boxes of the Underwood 200 gr. XTP. I have been watching the website for awhile now for this to get back in stock.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm going give the 200 XTP's a try as well. Wondering what velocity differences between a G20, 2.75" 310, and a 6.5" 610 might be...

Going see what their 158 XTP .357 stuff will do in a lever gun as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Might want to take heed in Underwood's warning. Delta Elites and any other "rampless" guns.

Number of loads out of your brass? You did not answer that question.

Well over 1300 fps using AA #9. Do you have a chronograph? How do you get that much #9 in that case?

You did say you shot the Underwood for years. Look at your first post here.

One more thing. It is time to change out your original springs.

My quote from my original Post :

"I have over 20K rounds through my all Factory Original Glock 20 with never a hiccup of any kind. And all my ammo has been well over 1300 fps.
Same goes for my Kimber Match Target 10mm. Same ammo for over 10K rounds. "

Now if you would please SHOW me where I stated that I ever shot ANY Underwood AMMO ? Never did, Never Have.

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension wink

And I reload my Starline Brass only twice, always checking for Marks. Never seen one.

Yes, I do have a chronograph. As any competent Reloader who loads max loads carefully should have.
And No, I'm not going to publish my Max handloads with AA-9 & BlueDot. But they clock well over 1300 fps.
Doesn't sound to me as if you would use them anyway, if your scared of your 10mm's. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/29/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hail fire man! I will put mine out there (here??) grin

With Starline new brass, CCI primer, and 14.6gr of AA#9 behind a 180gr Gold Dot or Golden Sabre bullet mine clock 1375, and run perfectly in my RIA Tac10 1911. These loads ALSO ran great in my Storm Lake barrreled and re timed by Jack Huntington of JRH custom guns.... GASP!!!!! Colt Delta Elite. shocked cool

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
Hail fire man! I will put mine out there (here??) grin

With Starline new brass, CCI primer, and 14.6gr of AA#9 behind a 180gr Gold Dot or Golden Sabre bullet mine clock 1375, and run perfectly in my RIA Tac10 1911. These loads ALSO ran great in my Storm Lake barrreled and re timed by Jack Huntington of JRH custom guns.... GASP!!!!! Colt Delta Elite. shocked cool

Mark.
You hit the nail on the head there buddy! I'm loading just shy of 15 with no problems at all. Hope you and Sherri are in good health & doing well!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.