Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I used to hunt deer/hogs a good bit with handguns. Got out of it, and now have the itch to try it again.

I've owned the Super Blackhawk Hunter, but didn't care for the grip. The Bisley grip model looks like it would suit me better.

I'm also looking at the S&W Model 629 6 1/2" barrel model.

I know the Ruger gets the nod if adding a scope is in the equation, but this will used with open sights.

Pros/Cons?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sort of like asking us to help choose a wife for you.

Ruger likely stronger, 629 likely to have a better trigger out of the box. Similar accuracy potential, Ruger easier to tinker with.

While you plan to hunt with irons, scope might be helpful with load testing.

629 is lighter and more compact making it slightly easier to pack.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
Sort of like asking us to help choose a wife for you.

Ruger likely stronger, 629 likely to have a better trigger out of the box. Similar accuracy potential, Ruger easier to tinker with.

While you plan to hunt with irons, scope might be helpful with load testing.

629 is lighter and more compact making it slightly easier to pack.

I hadn't even thought about the scope for load testing! That would be very helpful.

BTW, I'll let you choose a wife for me. I've had 3, so obviously I can't pick em'.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The Bisley grip model looks like it would suit me better.
It does me. I have a Ruger Bisley convertible in 45 Colt/45 ACP. It's a 5.5" barrel but stout loads out of it are much more to my liking than the standard plow handle grip frame.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
It does me. I have a Ruger Bisley convertible in 45 Colt/45 ACP. It's a 5.5" barrel but stout loads out of it are much more to my liking than the standard plow handle grip frame.

Same for me, don't want a plowhandle after shooting the Bisley grip... But some folks don't like them... best to try it if you can before taking the plunge.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The tale of two .44 Mags. One a Model 29, the other a Ruger Bisley Vaquero, a bit lighter.

The 29 shot a bit better with each load I used, but then Ruger has a reputation of having either tight or loose chamber throats that can cause groups to be a hair less than stellar. Either would take a whitetail off hand at 50 yards and rested at 100 easily.

Velocities were on par with each other, but again, I believe the 29 was more consistent due to the methods under which it was manufactured in the 70s, vs the way the Ruger was turned out in the 2005 time frame. Shooting the same handloads I discovered that while my standard deviation was probably due to my efforts, it seemed less "deviant" in the Smith. Again, neither was grossly irregular. (please forgive me not posting the load and velocities and SDs, as this was many years ago and I did not retain the document I'd created for this test.

What it boils down to, is if I want elegance, I'd take the Smith. If I wanted to accomplish work, I'd take the Ruger.

The loads were 240 grain lead and ran the gamut of 850fps all the way to 1300fps where leading became an issue after 2 cylinders full.

With stock grips, both wood, the Smith became uncomfortable (to me) at the high end loading, while the Bisley remained comfortable throughout.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Schoolcraft:

I would choose the 629 simply because I shoot N-frame Smiths better than Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks.

Which do you shoot better?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger .44 Mags have a tendency to be pretty good dimensionally. Every Hunter model I've shot has been accurate. Given the option between the two for a dedicated hunting revolver, I would go Bisley Hunter and never look back. However, I would go with what feels best in your hand and the one you can shoot the best.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Bisley, but in the .44 mag I am partial to N frames

[Linked Image]

they are also D&T for a scope mount.

I think the Bisley BH makes more sense if you are loading heavy, or using a caliber bigger than .44

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bisley Hunter -- minute of pig accuracy....... grin

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My rather simplistic view is to drive the bullet you choose to hunt with, diameter/weight, to 1100-1200 fps and you are well set. With the 44 Mag, the Smith is very well suited and ideally so IME. This from back when cameras and hunting trips had no link.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EdM
This from back when cameras and hunting trips had no link.

Meaning what exactly?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Used to own TC contenders and S&W 44 and 357 mags a long time ago. My brother just bought a SBH Bisley in 44 and with a leupold pistol scope shot groups at 50 and 100 yards that I could not personally believe. Felt recoil was much less then what I experienced with my old 629 and my brothers current 629, not even close. If I end up with the SBH I will send it to a good smith to lighten up the trigger a small amount.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This helps the BH/SBH trigger a great deal:

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It would be an easy choice (Ruger) for me.

The high hump behind the hammer on a DA revolver frame slams the big joint at the base of my shooting hand's thumb. The least bad for me seems to be a Python followed by a Redhawk. The S&Ws are the worst of the bunch. That's just for my hands, though.

I have S&W (329PD) I carry backpacking where weight matters. I don't plink with it. I fire a couple shots to check sights and function about twice a year. That's sufficient. The rest of the time I shoot my Rugers.

Rubber grips don't work for me. They just trade one problem for another that's possibly worse.

I have the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. It does seem to minimize recoil. Heavy sucker though. If I could only have one .44 to both hunt with and pack, it'd be a 5.5" SS Super Blackhawk.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by RickyD

Same for me, don't want a plowhandle after shooting the Bisley grip... But some folks don't like them... best to try it if you can before taking the plunge.

Jerry

I am the exact opposite. I have both and much prefer the "plow handle" to the Bisley, even with hot loads.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
For a pure hunting revolver I'd go with the Bisley simply for the ease in which the scope can be installed and removed. I've had very good experience with the return-to-zero of the Ruger rings on my 480 Super Redhawk. The Bisley Hunter's interchangeable front sight system is another nice touch.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks folks

Going with the Bisley SBH Hunter model.

Now I just need to get it ordered then a little trigger work.

Thanks again for all the input.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Bisley .45 convertible and a 629 Mountain gun. For packing, I prefer the Smith. For hunting and shooting lots, the Bisley.

As for the wife, choose a plain one, slightly overweight. She will be low maintenance and very greatful on long cold nights...not to mention short warm ones.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My comparison is the 6 inch 657 to a SBH bisley hunter in 41 mag.

In my opinion, nothing compares to the Ruger Hunter for long range or high velocity hunting loads.

My 1400 fps 210 gr bullet loads are much more comfortable from the Ruger. The Ruger definitely has an edge in the accuracy dept. And the scope does maintain hunting accuracy to 100 yds after several removals and replacements.

The Smith, though is several ounces lighter and easier to carry.

My local gun Dr. tuned the trigger on my Ruger for a very reasonable price. It takes no back seat to the Smith single action trigger.

I hope you enjoy the Ruger. I certainly have liked mine.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 82 invisible), 2,742 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.