Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by deflave
I have never figured out WTF universities/colleges are spending all their money on. .

Travis

salaries and retirement benefits.

Don't forget coaches and sports. Some college coaches make over a million dollars a year. And many colleges carry every sport from basket weaving to football. Sports costs big dollars and schools are willing to build stadiums and training complexes all to have a shot at playing for a championship.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by deflave
I have never figured out WTF universities/colleges are spending all their money on. .

Travis

salaries and retirement benefits.

I drove by my old university a couple of nights ago, hadn't driven by there in probably 2 years. I was amazed at the amount of construction going on, the old football practice field is now covered with new buildings. These aren't just "buildings" either, they're massive 3-4 story buildings with corinthian columns across the front, marble facades, etc. They look like something out of Rome at the height of it's power. I can easily see each one of these buildings, and there were several going up, costing $20+ million each. There was nothing wrong with the old lecture halls so it's hard to see why buttcrack U needs to mimic Dartmouth in it's architecture.

That's a big part of where the money is going, check out any college you know. I'll bet there's a huge keeping up with the Jones building program going on.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have three college degrees. I have never worked in a field that required them.

So obviously you got suckered into spending time and money going to college to get a job that you could have done any damn way.

College educations have been ridiculous for quite some time.

If you're reasonably intelligent and have a curious mind, you can learn any damn thing you want to learn for nothing.

This is the information age.

Universities are an obsolete concept.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Case in point,...my foreman at work.

He's just got a high school education, but he can belly up to a mill and lathe and make anything handed to him.

Still,...he's intimidated by alla those borderline schizo Mechanical Engineers who drop in the shop,...twitchin' and blinkin',..wearing their high water britches over a pair of worn the fug out New Balance running shoes.

They talk for a minute,..then the twit hands off his fugged up sets of prints and goes twitchin' and blinkin' on off down the hall.

My foreman says, "He's a fifth level designer!"

I say,..The sumbitch needs to design a pair o'britches that fits. And while he's at it, he needs to shave that chit off the back of his neck.

He just pooches his lips out in perplexation at why I'm less than impressed with the goofy fugger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For better or for worse a college degree is necessary to get one entry into many career paths. That degree is not a guarantee of employment and if a college student makes no effort to gain job skills and contacts during their time in school, they will likely have a rough go getting a job when they graduate. Where many fall short is believing learning ends once they get their sheep skin vs. seeing it as the beginning of a journey.

I was very fortunate to be mentored by this character after graduating but before entering the work force.

[Linked Image]

His formal education ended at 8th grade, and he is one of the best engineers I've ever known. He was inducted into the Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame for the many many records he's set with his land speed record vehicles over the past 20+ years.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a somewhat related topic. I get phone calls from the police and fireman's charities (and there are a lot of them). After hearing their pitch for a donation I tell them that their pensions are way bigger than anything I could even dream of getting and perhaps they should consider giving me a donation instead.

On the other hand, I give every year to our local volunteer fire department. They only solicit for donations in person and they have a sign in front of the fire house stating that they do not solicit by phone.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I figure I give enough to the cops just by virtue of the fact that I drive like I want to.

As for the fire dept.,....they usually show up just in time to save the chimney,..so fug that.

I'll put my faith in homeowners insurance.

I usually drop a hundred dollars on the Salvation Army at Christmas time just because they feed the schizo that I see arguing with his reflection in the window down to the gas station.

I figure he's worth a $100 a year in entertainment for me when I go down there to fill up my tank.

What he does isn't all that entertaining,...but watching the Indians who own the place jabberin' about him is funny as hell.

They'd like to call the cops on him,...but they're selling bath salts and crack pipes at the checkout.

On the other hand,..he scares away alla the old blue haired lady business.

It's quite a conundrum for them when he shows up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My engineering degree got me a good job right out of school but three of my last four jobs are in Malaysia and China. I'm milking my current one for all it's worth but I'm fear I'm on borrowed time. Globalization hasn't been kind to everyone.

Last edited by Whiptail; 06/03/14.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (260Remguy, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.